Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Parahandy

Wetherspoons , Are The New Guidelines Enough ?

Featured Posts

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8347131/The-future-Wetherspoons-Boss-Tim-Martin-reveals-plans-REOPEN-875-pubs.html

I have been a regular in these Establishments since their inception but reading through these Guidelines in the above article I conclude I probably wont bother . It just all seems inherently unsafe to me and I am slightly ashamed to say so . Like many I have spent my life in the Construction Industry where the Pub especially on a Friday was a cornerstone of our existence , reading this Article i think I shall wait to see how this R1 figure pans out in the near future . Reopening these Pubs for me is too much too soon .

14 minutes ago, Parahandy said:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8347131/The-future-Wetherspoons-Boss-Tim-Martin-reveals-plans-REOPEN-875-pubs.html

I have been a regular in these Establishments since their inception but reading through these Guidelines in the above article I conclude I probably wont bother . It just all seems inherently unsafe to me and I am slightly ashamed to say so . Like many I have spent my life in the Construction Industry where the Pub especially on a Friday was a cornerstone of our existence , reading this Article i think I shall wait to see how this R1 figure pans out in the near future . Reopening these Pubs for me is too much too soon .

It's not his decision to make is it. The government has to decide when and if it's safe and the ones who treated their staff and suppliers decently are likely to be the first to be ready.

To a great deal Wetherspoons caters for the elderly and more vulnerable. So he (Martin) needs to take extra extra care before opening up. 
He never wanted to shut in the first place. 

1 minute ago, Arthur Marshall said:

According to one FB post, it's taken this long for the carpets to dry out.

The toilets are upstairs, doesn’t surprise me some of the incontinent have an accident. 

I will not be risking Wetherspoons for many months regardless of the controls they put in place. This risk is not worth it.

They are the absolute bottom of the pile for me as a pub, dont like them at all. However not having read the attachment yet whatever it says its surely up to everyone to decide if they go in? Its not Martins job to decide if he can open yet anyway. He realy should wear a stetson. People who are concerned have no need ever to go in have they.

Probably at odds with the general forum opinion, but I think a big chain like this is better placed to organise to open safely when the time comes.  Things like that they already have the app in place for ordering food and drink from your table will help.

37 minutes ago, Goliath said:

To a great deal Wetherspoons caters for the elderly and more vulnerable. So he (Martin) needs to take extra extra care before opening up. 
He never wanted to shut in the first place. 

Martin doesn't give a stuff about anybody but Martin. A truly nasty piece of work.

I think some of us hoped his employees would desert him for work elsewhere, such that he wouldn't be able to open, and go bust.

Unfortunately, whatever happens to his company, he will still have a personal fortune, so pretty much unaffected :( 

• Greenie 3

The biggest problem with spoons is they are so inconsistent in terms of quality.

The one in our local market town is quite pleasant but the food quality  is incredibly varied and seems to depend on which way the wind is blowing.

Meanwhile another one not far away is a $hitwhole. Sticky carpets, the whole scruffy pub experience and crap food too.

The only advantage to 'Spoons is that you can almost afford to drink the beer. (If it is drinkable where you are)

N

1 minute ago, BEngo said:

The only advantage to 'Spoons is that you can almost afford to drink the beer. (If it is drinkable where you are)

N

And you can have a pint before breakfast 👍 

• Greenie 1

29 minutes ago, haggis said:

This was a guy who sacked all his staff at the start of the outbreak to save having to pay them, isn't it? That should be enough to keep most folk well away from his establishments

No, but it got spun that way in some of the press.  He might be an arse, but not for that reason.

The day he furloughed 40,000 staff mostly on 80% of minimum wage, Tesco rang him to say we need 20,000 extra staff urgently.  He suggested that many of his staff would be better off working for Tesco - which they were entitled to do whilst receiving  furlough payments from 'Spoons - as well.

• Greenie 1

At the moment I cant imagine going to a pub , coffee shop, cafe restaurant for a considerable time.

It seems to me a significant risk of transmitting the virus via the glass or cup that has been handled by the the  staff member who has handled another customers used cup or glass before delivering your drink (or food) .

• Greenie 2

Putting the guidelines into practice requires good local leadership and training and staff committed to following it to the letter. The way staff have been treated according to some reports does not bode well, acknowledging Biscuits comments on how this has been reported might not be the whole story. The fact they generally struggle to keep tables anywhere near clean at the best of times is a major worry. Guideline are fine but it’s also a whole new approach to rigorous and consistent adherence to them that’s needed, from every single member of staff.

Its when I read the Wetherspoons guidelines and find that they include leaving the Doors Open that I start to worry .

8 hours ago, Richard10002 said:

Martin doesn't give a stuff about anybody but Martin. A truly nasty piece of work.

I think some of us hoped his employees would desert him for work elsewhere, such that he wouldn't be able to open, and go bust.

Unfortunately, whatever happens to his company, he will still have a personal fortune, so pretty much unaffected :( 

More Anti Brexit crap though you will be heartened to hear he has approached the City for £250 million which will dilute his shareholding into single figures

7 hours ago, Ianws said:

Putting the guidelines into practice requires good local leadership and training and staff committed to following it to the letter. The way staff have been treated according to some reports does not bode well, acknowledging Biscuits comments on how this has been reported might not be the whole story. The fact they generally struggle to keep tables anywhere near clean at the best of times is a major worry. Guideline are fine but it’s also a whole new approach to rigorous and consistent adherence to them that’s needed, from every single member of staff.

I agree Ian but when I see all these People who are already flouting social distance guidelines on Britains Parks and Beaches I am just as worried by the customers who I feel will pour into Wetherspoons upon opening 

9 hours ago, Arthur Marshall said:

According to one FB post, it's taken this long for the carpets to dry out.

Speaking as someone who earns a crust in Construction I applaud Mr Tim in his sympathetic conversion of several Historic Buildings into Drinking Establishments

3 X crap when it's hidden 😊

(I never peek 😊)

• Haha 1

The rest of the pub trade hate him like poison so tales get exaggerated or invented. He will do as he's told or sample the food in prison! It will be interesting to see how the trade as a whole tries to make good their losses. I'm missing the people but drinking good beer at a quarter of the pub price could be worse and could turn into a habit.

There are some nice Wetherspoons and some not so nice (the one here in Newark is in the latter category) but the one good thing that will happen is that no one will be able to stand at the bar and obstruct others getting served or seeing what beers are on.

We own an independent bar, free of tie.  All the feedback from our regulars is that they can't wait to get back.  Our dilemma is that, depending what the rules are by the time that day comes, the cost of works to set the place up and the staff numbers required to serve, clean and manage customers will be such that the trade we can support will not be enough to make it viable.  We are licensed for 120 people (above 80 is a bit cosy) but I doubt we've got room for more than 25 max with distancing measures in - we'll possibly be better off shut with the staff on furlough until we can just open the doors as before.  We are not alone in this ... pubco tenants are already struggling as they work on low margins and are being expected to pay rent with no income.  'Spoons making this announcement is perhaps an attempt at recovering their reputation, but until the rules under which we wil be able to operate are known, you can't judge if what they propose is right or not.    

• Greenie 2