Mixing Oils

Featured Posts

I'll put my hands up, this is almost non boat related. I will soon be stripping the front forks on my motorbike. I was wondering how to clean through the internals and thought maybe I could flush everything through with the mineral oil I use for my boat engine. It's cheap and I've got quite a lot in the shed.

My query is, do we think the residue oil left after leaving the forks to drain would mix OK with the new synthetic 7.5W fork oil I'll be using? I really don't need it clogging after it has been reassembled. I know the oil takes a bashing but I'm thinking there will be so little left in the forks it shouldn't make a difference. What is the consensus?

4 minutes ago, Old Son said:

I'll put my hands up, this is almost non boat related. I will soon be stripping the front forks on my motorbike. I was wondering how to clean through the internals and thought maybe I could flush everything through with the mineral oil I use for my boat engine. It's cheap and I've got quite a lot in the shed.

My query is, do we think the residue oil left after leaving the forks to drain would mix OK with the new synthetic 7.5W fork oil I'll be using? I really don't need it clogging after it has been reassembled. I know the oil takes a bashing but I'm thinking there will be so little left in the forks it shouldn't make a difference. What is the consensus?

Are you truly going to strip them?  If so (and that's the only way to get them truly clean and also check everything for wear), then just wipe all the parts down with a light mineral oil.  Bear in mind that you should fit new seals after stripping them.

If you're not going to properly strip them then drain them, fill with fork oil, pump vigorously for a while, then drain again.  If the oil looks discoloured repeat until it doesn't.

I have to strip them because I have an oil seal leak. I thought I would replace bushes whilst I was at it. I'm aware the oil will probably stink and be very contaminated. I am thinking to put the damper assemblies in some new mineral oil and pump until I end up with nice clean oil coming out, leave them to drain, reassemble and fill with fork oil

14 minutes ago, Old Son said:

I am thinking to put the damper assemblies in some new mineral oil and pump until I end up with nice clean oil coming out, leave them to drain, reassemble and fill with fork oil

Sounds like a plan that'll work :)

I had a Bantam (well, I had several but this story is just about one of them...) and it leaked all the oil out of one leg.  I was the only person I knew who could ride it in a straight line...

1 hour ago, WotEver said:

Sounds like a plan that'll work :)

I had a Bantam (well, I had several but this story is just about one of them...) and it leaked all the oil out of one leg.  I was the only person I knew who could ride it in a straight line...

Weve all had a bantam innitt ?

• Happy 1

My Corgi bike had no suspension at all, just a springy saddle. The one in this pic is not mine. Mine caught light when I had a leaky petrol tank and going over a bump jogged a lighted fag out of my mouth onto it. I smothered the flames and put it out with my Duffle  coat. I had trouble undoing the pegs and nearly lost it.

10f52d9052eefb0cdf43929e381bbc06.jpg

Edited by bizzard

36 minutes ago, bizzard said:

My Corgi bike had no suspension at all, just a springy saddle.

I don't remember those at all.  I had several Bantams, one with the plunger frame, one with a race-tuned engine with the port so large it had a little bridge welded across it to stop the rings catching, Then a Bonneville, then a Suzi 250 twin (with the air ram head) for a short while, a Honda 125, a Honda CB500, a Yamaha 1100 (too heavy), then a Suzi GS1000 (also heavy) which got nicked.  Then  I moved onto cars.  I think I missed a few bikes out there but the memory isn't what it was ;)

5 minutes ago, WotEver said:

I don't remember those at all.  I had several Bantams, one with the plunger frame, one with a race-tuned engine with the port so large it had a little bridge welded across it to stop the rings catching, Then a Bonneville, then a Suzi 250 twin (with the air ram head) for a short while, a Honda 125, a Honda CB500, a Yamaha 1100 (too heavy), then a Suzi GS1000 (also heavy) which got nicked.  Then  I moved onto cars.  I think I missed a few bikes out there but the memory isn't what it was ;)

Corgi bikes were made for paratroopers, they jumped out of planes with them lashed to there backs. The handlebars folded flat onto the petrol tank. Quite powerful for their size, Brockhouse 90cc 4 stroke engine Single gear, N/S footrest was the gear lever, it hinged upwards. Squeeze in the clutch lever, kick the footrest down, plonk your hoof on it, unsqueeze the clutch lever and off you went. Mr Marples the old transport minister rode to work on one.

• Greenie 1