Tides & Brentford Lock

Richardcn

Featured Posts

47 minutes ago, Richardcn said:

Yeah I had half an idea to do something similar as we're coming from above Chertsey Lock but I'll knock something up by hand, now that I have an understanding of how it's going to (should) go with the 'new' plan. The locks up to Teddington are on self-service so I'll need to allow for that, unless that changes on 1st Jun. I have the numbers ready to put in my phone once I know we can go, ie Sunbury is opened. I'll be so glad when we can actually get going, all this planning is tiring!

Don't forget: "Plans are useless, planning is invaluable"  (General Dwight D. Eisenhower) 

Can anybody tell me roughly how long it takes to get through Thames Locks when on 'self-service'.  We'll be travelling from Chertsey to Teddington. Naturally I understand that there may be hold-ups for various reasons and that each lock is different in size and operation but I read somewhere that the locks were slower when on  'public power' (as they are currently). How long should I allow to lock through if the lock is empty and there's no other traffic? I found a useful Thames journey planner but unfortunately it doesn't include locking times!

Does this look about right?

Screenshot_20200528-214810_Chrome.jpg

Edited by Richardcn

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All

We finally made the journey off the Thames and onto the Lee via Paddington. Two and a half days of hard work but great fun. I didn't keep stats but approx 10 of the 43 locks were in our favour about 3 of them with gates open. Apart from Teddington and Brentford we only shared about 10 locks and had the Thames and her locks to ourselves bar 1. Of course, the only oncoming boats that we met were at blind bends and bridge oles, I kid you not!

Many thanks for everybody's assistance in planning the adventure.

Richard

• Greenie 2

16 hours ago, Richardcn said:

Hi All

We finally made the journey off the Thames and onto the Lee via Paddington. Two and a half days of hard work but great fun. I didn't keep stats but approx 10 of the 43 locks were in our favour about 3 of them with gates open. Apart from Teddington and Brentford we only shared about 10 locks and had the Thames and her locks to ourselves bar 1. Of course, the only oncoming boats that we met were at blind bends and bridge oles, I kid you not!

Many thanks for everybody's assistance in planning the adventure.

Richard

Glad it went well - liked the pix!