Centre line become inflexible

Steve Manc

Featured Posts

9 minutes ago, Bee said:

I've got old rope that is so stiff you could push things with it as well as pull them, No idea what it is and no idea why I keep it but like lots of old junk it might come in handy some day. Old climbing rope sometimes comes up on E bay and is useful and good to handle, might not stop a 20 ton boat stuck in forward gear going into a lock but it has its uses.

If it's anything like the climbing rope I have it will caterpult it back out of the lock rapidly.

1 minute ago, Slim said:

If it's anything like the climbing rope I have it will caterpult it back out of the lock rapidly.

Somebody's sold you bungee jumping rope.

8 hours ago, OldGoat said:

You shouldn't use a centre line to moor a boat - but it seems everone else does (and then complain when passing boats rowck your boat)

Poo - Cuthound got there first...

A centre line is a perfectly acceptable way to quickly moor a boat at a lock landing or for similar purposes.

24 minutes ago, bizzard said:

No such word as pull really. Its always push. To pull something it always has to have some kind of grasp from behind in order to pull it.

That's deep, man

19 hours ago, bizzard said:

No such word as pull really. Its always push. To pull something it always has to have some kind of grasp from behind in order to pull it.

I definitely feel a pull when outside pub !

I've had a caving rope  (low stretch - braided sheath) go very stiff, and I never got it to handle well after that even after washing.  I have heard that fabric softener in the wash should help. I think it might be due to some kind of shrinkage of the braiding, in which case it is never going to improve.

• 2 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, Steve Manc said:

Placed the rope in a bucket of hot water then left it for 24 hours. Sadly no improvement.

Now stored for emergency use.

Thanks

When used for awhile it will come back to life. Some tension on it when you tie up at a lock landing is perfect. Takes a little while. 
If, otherwise, it’s a perfectly good rope then I’d use it and keep you’re good one for best ?