Table top fridge spec

mrsmelly

Featured Posts

As usual ask the forum. I have googled several of the small table top mains 50cm high type fridge makers but not one says anything on their pages. My question is are those small cheap fridges £90 quid ish proper compressor fridges or are they all absorbtion???? They all give such as A or A plus as their lectric useage but that may just be mumbo jumbo. I am thinking of whacking one in the camper and if absorbtion will not bother. Taa.

4 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

Without a way of looking at the adverts. They might even be Peltier which will in now way be economical electricity wise, especially if trying for colder temperatures.

Tanks Tony. Not one of them says, just gives supposed yearly consumption and noise in decibels. Somehow doubt any are compressor? Spose I could search one out in a shop if they ever re open and look but I was going to get one delivered.

15 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Tanks Tony. Not one of them says, just gives supposed yearly consumption and noise in decibels. Somehow doubt any are compressor? Spose I could search one out in a shop if they ever re open and look but I was going to get one delivered.

Interesting - I wasn't going to put my oar in - 'cos I don't have a definitive answer BUT

I don't think anyone makes absorbption fridges any more - 'so they need a flame to operate ( or mebe a very hot coil) but they would be silent.

A peltier device would have quite a small volume for the gubbins, whereas a compressor type would have a large 'step' in the insude to house the compressor gubbins. If the sales blurb show the step - then it may be a compressor type?

My posh Liebherr FF compressor makes hardly any noise thus a Db rating prolly woundn't be a guide.

Soory a bit of waffle - but I'll go and have a quick look and comeback if I've anything sensible to say..

This one from Amazon states 'thermo electric' so I guess peltier

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Drinkstuff-17ltr-ChillQuiet-Mini-Fridge/dp/B0081YFGCY/ref=asc_df_B0081YFGCY/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=231944124418&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=16082713410890247106&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1007430&hvtargid=pla-485769990397&

psc=1

This one from Curries has a step in the bottom and it's A* (which I don't think pelter would get) - thus compressor

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/household-appliances/refrigeration/fridges/logik-ltt68s18-mini-fridge-silver-10174941-pdt.html?istCompanyId=bec25c7e-cbcd-460d-81d5-a25372d2e3d7&istFeedId=4d7eb93e-055f-499d-8ee5-1cdcc50d67d1&istItemId=wiaiwxmmr&istBid=tztx&srcid=198&cmpid=ppc~gg~0101_PLA_AO_BAU_Hoc3-MDA_Hoc1-REFRIGERATION_MA-FRIDGE+FREEZERS_All_G_None_Medium_~0101+Fridge+Freezers+Core+ad+group~Exact&mctag=gg_goog_7904&kwid=GOOGLE&device=c&ds_kids=92700021811720831&tgtid=0101_PLA_AO_BAU_Hoc3-MDA_Hoc1-REFRIGERATION_MA-FRIDGE+FREEZERS_All_G_None_Medium_&=--present--&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI_4asma7H6QIVD-vtCh2AhgsREAQYAyABEgL9yvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

(what huge long link - some spotty herbert does their web design...)

I'm wrong about the absorption typ, there are modern one's available -

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dometic-9105204289-Combicool-Absorption-Coolbox/dp/B01KVRZTM0/ref=as_li_ss_tl?keywords=ACX+dometic&qid=1579173374&sr=8-2&linkCode=ll1&tag=campfmagaz-21&linkId=7f70b64a291bbc0d0fa05231856b3865&language=en_GB

Edited by OldGoat

I have a redundant one of these in my garage. As you say about 500mm tall.

Had a look at the back of it and it definately has a compressor. There is an electrical circuit label inside which identifies a compressor in the system.DSC_1234.JPG.dc6a28e76fc9ebba9da5a232c982e449.JPGDSC_1236.JPG.68657c18dc63c9dacb458b6a8069cb7e.JPG

17 minutes ago, MikeHing said:

I have a redundant one of these in my garage. As you say about 500mm tall.

Had a look at the back of it and it definately has a compressor. There is an electrical circuit label inside which identifies a compressor in the system.DSC_1234.JPG.dc6a28e76fc9ebba9da5a232c982e449.JPGDSC_1236.JPG.68657c18dc63c9dacb458b6a8069cb7e.JPG

I have one of these on the boat, however they are freezers, not fridges, so not what @mrsmelly is looking for.

Jen

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies

2 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

I have one of these on the boat, however they are freezers, not fridges, so not what @mrsmelly is looking for.

Jen

Ah, yes, but there are also fridges sold in the same format. Easy to identify if you get a photo of the back , but vendors usually only show the front...

1 hour ago, OldGoat said:

Ah, yes, but there are also fridges sold in the same format. Easy to identify if you get a photo of the back , but vendors usually only show the front...

Precisely no picciies of the back ?

3 hours ago, OldGoat said:

Interesting - I wasn't going to put my oar in - 'cos I don't have a definitive answer BUT

I don't think anyone makes absorbption fridges any more - 'so they need a flame to operate ( or mebe a very hot coil) but they would be silent.

A peltier device would have quite a small volume for the gubbins, whereas a compressor type would have a large 'step' in the insude to house the compressor gubbins. If the sales blurb show the step - then it may be a compressor type?

My posh Liebherr FF compressor makes hardly any noise thus a Db rating prolly woundn't be a guide.

Soory a bit of waffle - but I'll go and have a quick look and comeback if I've anything sensible to say..

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Drinkstuff-17ltr-ChillQuiet-Mini-Fridge/dp/B0081YFGCY/ref=asc_df_B0081YFGCY/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=231944124418&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=16082713410890247106&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1007430&hvtargid=pla-485769990397&

psc=1

This one from Curries has a step in the bottom and it's A* (which I don't think pelter would get) - thus compressor

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/household-appliances/refrigeration/fridges/logik-ltt68s18-mini-fridge-silver-10174941-pdt.html?istCompanyId=bec25c7e-cbcd-460d-81d5-a25372d2e3d7&istFeedId=4d7eb93e-055f-499d-8ee5-1cdcc50d67d1&istItemId=wiaiwxmmr&istBid=tztx&srcid=198&cmpid=ppc~gg~0101_PLA_AO_BAU_Hoc3-MDA_Hoc1-REFRIGERATION_MA-FRIDGE+FREEZERS_All_G_None_Medium_~0101+Fridge+Freezers+Core+ad+group~Exact&mctag=gg_goog_7904&kwid=GOOGLE&device=c&ds_kids=92700021811720831&tgtid=0101_PLA_AO_BAU_Hoc3-MDA_Hoc1-REFRIGERATION_MA-FRIDGE+FREEZERS_All_G_None_Medium_&=--present--&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI_4asma7H6QIVD-vtCh2AhgsREAQYAyABEgL9yvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dometic-9105204289-Combicool-Absorption-Coolbox/dp/B01KVRZTM0/ref=as_li_ss_tl?keywords=ACX+dometic&qid=1579173374&sr=8-2&linkCode=ll1&tag=campfmagaz-21&linkId=7f70b64a291bbc0d0fa05231856b3865&language=en_GB

Well done you OLD GOAT ?

Indeed the Logik from currys is compressor and its a tad larger than the others I was looking at but I will be able to get it in with the aid of my big hammer and a bit of brute force :cheers:

5 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

I have no idea what 38db of sound is like but a Peltier will use a fan a bit like a computer fan. I doubt such a fan would give 38db but perhaps another member into sound can give some input. Others quote over 40db

38 dB = Sparrow fart at 100 metres

40 dB = claimed noise level of small absorption fridge

58 dB = compressor fridge that wakes you up at 2.00 am

59 dB = conversation level in a library

63 dB = your generator

65 dB =  your neighbour's generator

68dB = Isle of Man TT races

69 dB = chainsaw massacre

120 dB Concorde

I was sailing across the Bristol Channel in 1990 something when the sonic boom passed over, I laid flat on cockpit, assuming I had wandered in to an MOD firing range!

Edited by LadyG

4 hours ago, OldGoat said:

Just remove everything after and including the question mark.  Like this:

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/household-appliances/refrigeration/fridges/logik-ltt68s18-mini-fridge-silver-10174941-pdt.html

So your whole post could be compressed to...

4 hours ago, OldGoat said:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Drinkstuff-17ltr-ChillQuiet-Mini-Fridge/dp/B0081YFGCY/ref=asc_df_B0081YFGCY/

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/household-appliances/refrigeration/fridges/logik-ltt68s18-mini-fridge-silver-10174941-pdt.html

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dometic-9105204289-Combicool-Absorption-Coolbox/dp/B01KVRZTM0/ref=as_li_ss_tl

1 hour ago, LadyG said:

38 dB = Sparrow fart at 100 metres

40 dB = claimed noise level of small absorption fridge

58 dB = compressor fridge that wakes you up at 2.00 am

59 dB = conversation level in a library

63 dB = your generator

65 dB =  your neighbour's generator

68dB = Isle of Man TT races

69 dB = chainsaw massacre

120 dB Concorde

I was sailing across the Bristol Channel in 1990 something when the sonic boom passed over, I laid flat on cockpit, assuming I had wandered in to an MOD firing range!

Our sparrows don't fart down here - but we do have a blackbird singing in a tree at the bottom of the garden, doncha' know....

As for Concorde - sadly missed - it was a pleasure jut hearing the daily flight as we pootled along the Thames. Must have deafened Her Maj 'cos the flight was directly over Her Windsor place....

Happy days.

51 minutes ago, OldGoat said:

Our sparrows don't fart down here - but we do have a blackbird singing in a tree at the bottom of the garden, doncha' know....

As for Concorde - sadly missed - it was a pleasure jut hearing the daily flight as we pootled along the Thames. Must have deafened Her Maj 'cos the flight was directly over Her Windsor place....

Happy days.

We stayed one night in a motel in Miami and our room overlooked the airport so that we were looking down at Concorde.  We were thrilled to see it push back from the terminal and we eventually watched it take off, belching black smoke from all 4 engines.

17 minutes ago, WotEver said:

We stayed one night in a motel in Miami and our room overlooked the airport so that we were looking down at Concorde.  We were thrilled to see it push back from the terminal and we eventually watched it take off, belching black smoke from all 4 engines.

Well, you can't have everything....

• Happy 1

I have one of these table top fridges languishing in my garage you can have if you want. It is generic Chinese model,with compressor, that a lot of companies brand with their own label, retail  about £80. The label claims A+efficiency.

It has had 6 months use to keep our museum stewards milk in for their tea, then it went faulty and was replaced under warranty. They didn't want the old unit back. I put a replacement thermostat in it to fix it, and was holding it as a spare,  but really have no use for it. PM me if you want it, it will be very cheap! (Can send a photo tomorrow.)

9 hours ago, IDS said:

I have one of these table top fridges languishing in my garage you can have if you want. It is generic Chinese model,with compressor, that a lot of companies brand with their own label, retail  about £80. The label claims A+efficiency.

It has had 6 months use to keep our museum stewards milk in for their tea, then it went faulty and was replaced under warranty. They didn't want the old unit back. I put a replacement thermostat in it to fix it, and was holding it as a spare,  but really have no use for it. PM me if you want it, it will be very cheap! (Can send a photo tomorrow.)

Thanks very much for the offer. However I have already sourced one localy. Its appreciated though and the forum at its best.

Cheers.

I recently bought an 18 bottle wine fridge (for fruit juice of course) and it was quite difficult to tell on some of them whether thtey were compressor or Peltier.   The easiest identifier was the lowest temperature setting, usually 8 for the Peltiers and 5 for compessor. And price of course, the compressor ones were getting on for twice the price.

The one i bought is a compressor one and is nearly silent when running.  It also cools down very quickly whereas the Peltier ones can be quite slow.

Edited by dor