One for the birds.

Featured Posts

Seen this evening the first ducklings of the year.

Four tiny fluffy drops of quicksilver flittering on the canal behind mother. Fed her a bit of Morrisons finest crust, the ducklings are eating only grass, good.

Lovely to see new life.

They're certainly turning out now the weather has changed. Saw a couple of mother ducks in the last week with a few babies, and a huge gaggle of geese with goslings this afternoon near Offord Lock.20200521201425.JPG.cdf88bf57cc9e355cc9a632af262d6f5.JPG

20200521201417.JPG.8c60d404aacb3832eb60b69fc7698384.JPG20200521201427.JPG.42b74c31341370cc945207105f917a1b.JPG20200521201406.JPG.d907cbbe856014a138d7493a1d1871db.JPG20200521201408.JPG.b1009b9f79ee628f1c2c0cdf19b9effd.JPGd3304ba583cff8462d4ec66b7f1e8778.jpg.3b740e9dca42befc67ac64bf3af2e846.jpg20200521201404.JPG.313dc3b05b6255ffd215fcf7fd8ef5fa.JPG

and a fly doing an handstand. 

13 hours ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Four tiny fluffy drops of quicksilver flittering on the canal behind mother. Fed her a bit of Morrisons finest crust, the ducklings are eating only grass, good.

Lovely to see new life.

"Ducklings"?  Look like goslings.

A pair of swans are sailing up and down our bit of river with six or seven cygnets (at least six, but the last one was moving around so fast that I couldn't count it). They are still a bit smaller than ducks and look quite charming, until one remembers what they'll grow into.

41 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Well. if it looks like a duck, walks  like a duck and quacks like a duck, chances are it is a duck.

If it looks sorta like a duck, walks like a duck and honks like a goose, it could still be a duck. I think Meatloaf would agree.

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Ray T said:

Never was much good a counting. Perhaps with that expression he had been "goosed." :D

It is indeed a goosed Gosling named Ryan. 

• 1 month later...
On 21/05/2020 at 19:33, Tracy D'arth said:

Lovely to see new life.

And after many Morrisons crusts, a bit of Warburtons finest and 50 days on the 5 ducklings are grow to the same size as mother, have feathers and still voracious appetites.

No weed left on one side of the boat, the little riveters have removed it all.

Hand fed now, very tame.

We have swans here with cygnets and they have shown almost no animosity towards the ducks, I can feed them all at the same time, lovely.

The cygnet do try to climb into the boat, much violent paddling up the side of the boat, thrashing water noises and heads appearing through the side hatch.

TD'

On 21/05/2020 at 19:33, Tracy D'arth said:

Lovely to see new life.

Somebody will be along shortly to condemn your for the heinous crime of feeding bread to ducks.

But before they do they should know the RSPB do actually say it's OK to feed them a small amount as in itself it isn't harmful, it's just that too much can leave them feeling full and they won't get nutrients from eating other stuff.

53 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

Somebody will be along shortly to condemn your for the heinous crime of feeding bread to ducks.

But before they do they should know the RSPB do actually say it's OK to feed them a small amount as in itself it isn't harmful, it's just that too much can leave them feeling full and they won't get nutrients from eating other stuff.

This I do know, but thanks for raising it.

Too much processes wheat, bread, can cause broom stick bristle wings in birds where they loose the soft part of the feather and the quill sticks out bare.

Is Warburtons really bread?

These ducklings are well taught by their mother, after scoffing a few slices she takes them off to the bank where they feed on grass and slugs etc.

If we were unfortunate enough to have Canada Geese which cannot legally be shot anymore, I would feed them all the crap cheap bread I could find in the hope that they would drown, hateful dirty useless noisy birds.

TD'

46 minutes ago, bizzard said:

A spoonfull of Duckams 20/50 now and again will help their digestion.:closedeyes:

At times our wildfowl get plenty of hydrocarbons, diesel and sump oil, when the bristards boaters bilge out as they go past.

TD'

Edited by Tracy D'arth

On 08/06/2020 at 16:46, Ray T said:

Let this little lot out from Hatton Bottom Lock this afternoon. Mother was on the top gate quacking furiously.

As soon as I started to open the bottom gate she flew down and led her brood away.

IMGP4843.JPG

IMGP4844.JPG

Not daft these mother ducks! Lovely innit.

9 hours ago, Tracy D'arth said:

If we were unfortunate enough to have Canada Geese which cannot legally be shot anymore, I would feed them all the crap cheap bread I could find in the hope that they would drown, hateful dirty useless noisy birds.

TD'

Why not?

image.png.8d026e186a6a8c19ca1c55f0cf4724c7.png

Edited by ditchcrawler