Nb Glenfield

SteveE

Featured Posts

9 minutes ago, Adamwalker64 said:

@Adamwalker64 if you haven't worked out how to add photos you just need to click on the Click to choose files link when you are adding a post then you can browse to select you pictures. Once they have been uploaded click the + button to insert into your post.

• Happy 1

13 hours ago, dave moore said:

Ah....there were 2 Glenfields, I recall. The Allen built second boat was the one I was referring to, Glenfield No 2. Kevin and Vicky Blick are the current owners, he used to write for Canal Boat magazine, as did Vicky. Perhaps Adam has bought the earlier boat, I don’t know...

He was indeed its editor for several years.

Nice boats those old Bantocks. 

I briefly owned a similar one (motorised with original stern) a "type 1" early boat with the stepped knees about 12 years ago. She had been refooted and bottomed in steel a long time ago. 

It was a lovely boat. Orianne. 

I rapidly discovered I am the wrong sort of person to have a historic boat partly because I was unwilling to add a steel cabin to it. They are incredibly nicely made items. Class. 

Good luck with it. 

One of my favourite features was the "let's just do this properly" 3 inch wide D strakes. Also a feature of some of the LMS boats it is a very nice thing to see on a narrow boat. 

ETA I don't know what happened to Orianne. Cwdf member Arnot Frances bought the boat. He stripped it back to original bcn layout ie no cabin. 

It seemed probable it would get cut for the beautiful fore end but maybe it remained full length. 

It was a cool boat that one. 

Edited by magnetman

If it’s the same Orianne, it was owned in the 60s by a chap called Bailey...tall, slim, curly hair and with a penchant for bow ties. 

He was a member of the Staffs and Worcs Canal Society in those days, I think he towed Grange back from a rally at Redford Bank for Ken Dunham. I was the steerer!

12 hours ago, dave moore said:

If it’s the same Orianne, it was owned in the 60s by a chap called Bailey...tall, slim, curly hair and with a penchant for bow ties. 

He was a member of the Staffs and Worcs Canal Society in those days, I think he towed Grange back from a rally at Redford Bank for Ken Dunham. I was the steerer!

Quite likely. I think at that time it had a Turner V4 tractor engine in it. 

Grange is nice. I remember that on the GU late 90s. Malcolm Braine cut and shut job I think. Nice Kelvin engine in there. 

13 hours ago, dave moore said:

Was it Bailey Manion? who I remember having a boat called Ratty

Steve

Edited by Split Pin

43 minutes ago, dave moore said:

Steve, Bayley Mannion did indeed have Ratty, this is someone else. Your dad will know.

Ah, interesting. He must have been the joint author of the legendary 'Dunham and Manion' BCN red guide with Ken Dunham.

I seem to recall Mr Dunham being still around in the '80's, but I hadn't heard of Mr Manion before.

• 2 weeks later...
On 01/11/2007 at 00:14, mab said:

Hi Steve

Ive lost your email add so i thought id try this way.

Ive found some photo's of glenfield at bumblehole. One is of dad forming the counter with the aid of 2 cyclinders a very large piece of timber with Max holding the plate.

He used star class plans for the stern ( the same were used for glenfield 2 with the allen touch ) and the stem bar came from claytons along with the bolinder and prop.

i helped him hold it up to the old stern while he marked arround the inside edge. I remember because at 10 i had ajob to hold it resulting in a little ear ache!!(any one who knew dad will know what i'm about ) i think Max came to my aid.

Ill have to check with Max but i think the counter of Ballinger was constructed in the shed on the farm at Romsley.

Martin

I think I found the pictures Martin is talking about here

Img0001 (2).jpg

Img0000.jpg

Img0004-1 - Copy.jpg