Nb Glenfield

SteveE

Featured Posts

Hi Steve

Ive lost your email add so i thought id try this way.

Ive found some photo's of glenfield at bumblehole. One is of dad forming the counter with the aid of 2 cyclinders a very large piece of timber with Max holding the plate.

He used star class plans for the stern ( the same were used for glenfield 2 with the allen touch ) and the stem bar came from claytons along with the bolinder and prop.

i helped him hold it up to the old stern while he marked arround the inside edge. I remember because at 10 i had ajob to hold it resulting in a little ear ache!!(any one who knew dad will know what i'm about ) i think Max came to my aid.

Ill have to check with Max but i think the counter of Ballinger was constructed in the shed on the farm at Romsley.

Martin

Ballinger, the other half of Glenfield, is now moored at Kings Bromley, Trent and Mersey. Max

Ballinger, the other half of Glenfield, is now moored at Kings Bromley, Trent and Mersey. Max

Thanks for this, Max. Is the boat off-line because we came past there in terrible weather on 18th November and didn't see her? We're now approaching Stone and it may be a bit far to go back - shame.

Regards

Steve

Yes it was fun, Eric Pike was on Adder and Peter Freakley telling us all about our mistakes. A wonderful time on the BCN. Max

Ballinger,the other half of Glenfield is now moored at Kings Bromley, Trent and Mersey. Max

• 12 years later...

Hi Adam

Dad recorded Ballinger works here https://worcestervista.com/index.php/mechanics/renovating-ballinger/

I also found this picture 

Hope you enjoy your boat and may be one day will meet the other half Ballinger somewhere, I know it was sold last year 

I believe the new owner also owns a working boat

Cheers

Ian

glenfield.jpg

On 12/01/2008 at 16:31, Max Sinclair said:

Ballinger,the other half of Glenfield is now moored at Kings Bromley, Trent and Mersey. Max

It still is, well, was until lockdown, not allowed in unless essential.

https://www.ballinger.online/

Nice little video here: 

Not so sure about the music though.

Edited by Ray T

1 hour ago, Adamwalker64 said:

It is should be ok for another 50 after restoration do you have any other on Albert I’d love to know a bit more about him 

Albert (on the right) by his Landrover with a petter engine. I am sure his tyres are bald

Next two from the Allen Register website, He worked at Les Allens boat yard, was also a farmer at Romsely near Bromsgrove

The last is from the BCN newsletter

Martin is son used to be on this site, under the name mab

albert4.JPG

albert3.JPG

albert 2.JPG

albert.JPG

16 minutes ago, dave moore said:

Currently, Glenfield is in Suffolk on hardstanding where new owner Kevin Blick is making alterations prior to a re launch. The boat is out of the water to ease travelling.

Hi Dave

I was replying to Adam who says he has just bought Glenfield, who is Kevin?

Cheers

Ian

Ah....there were 2 Glenfields, I recall. The Allen built second boat was the one I was referring to, Glenfield No 2. Kevin and Vicky Blick are the current owners, he used to write for Canal Boat magazine, as did Vicky. Perhaps Adam has bought the earlier boat, I don’t know...

1 hour ago, dave moore said:

Ah....there were 2 Glenfields, I recall. The Allen built second boat was the one I was referring to, Glenfield No 2. Kevin and Vicky Blick are the current owners, he used to write for Canal Boat magazine, as did Vicky. Perhaps Adam has bought the earlier boat, I don’t know...

Great photos love the fact he built her for himself and kept it many years was in a sad state when I got her been in a field left unloved since 2011 

Great photos love the fact he built her for himself and kept it many years was in a sad state when I got her been in a field left unloved since 2011