Four counties ring - one week

golfer

Featured Posts

Sorry, I thought the Wedgewood factory is a right 'rip off'.

Can't believe that any industry could be so boring, there are two or three women fiddling about sticking clay profiles onto pots by hand. While you are dutifully watching that you can listen to the sound of heavy machinery upstairs presumably doing the same thing but thousands at a time (you never get to see that) and then you get the occasional view of dozens of artics. being loaded with stacker trucks out in the yard.

Having paid your fiver or whatever to get in, you then, with some relief have to run the gauntlet of the factory shop through which you must pass from end to end to get out.

Quite right John

But i would not want to have to do that again, it was too much,

I enjoyed myself but it has taken 2 days to get over it.

I don't know what is happening to my eyes though, as you know i was getting double vision after 5-6 hrs each day.

I had new glasses the week before i set off, and went to the opticians again yesterday, he is doing some more new ones for me and said that my eyes have altered significantly in the last 2 weeks.

Do you think then if the whole ring can be done in a week i should be able to do Atherston to audlem in 3 days?

Coming back off the GU, heading up north, I set off from Atherstone on a Wednesday and was back in Anderton by Saturday night - so it could of been done, but you've got your boat back now.... :P

Edited by Liam

We will be attempting the four couties ring plus a detour to Chester in September in a week. I realise its a long way, but with an able bodied crew of 9 18/19 year olds we should be able to do it :P

Edited by Hick

• 2 weeks later...

Ah well, ready for the off at 7am! Up on the train to Stoke then the Four Counties beckon. As for what I said about the joys of doing it in a week - well, as luck would have it, an old whiplash injury has come back to haunt me...but a few physiotherapy sessions later me, the missus and our two lads are ready for the 90 odd locks...well, at least THEY are. Cheerio chaps!

• 1 month later...
Guest st170dw
Well we off again this Sunday from Gailey anti clockwise around the four counties ring. I know we might bump into Mr Bustens near Audlem. Anyone else be in that area next week?

24552[/snapback]

Oops - just read the direction correctly - You won't be anywhere near me on Sunday you are going the other way! You may see me the following weekend on my way to Llangollen though.

I don't know the boat name but I think its a 57ft, semi trad yellow Viking afloat NB. You should easily spot us, hitting everything in sight, providing sufficient bow wave to surf on, water skiing lessons behind held at the rear and pushing to the front of all the queues as we are on holiday.

I shall padlock the lock gates on saturday night then...lol

24559[/snapback]

What are the wiers like at the moment? on the audlem locks? I know last year the first lock (upwards) after the shroppie fly was terrible so much water nothing to do but bounce the bow off the log and the walls

there is a lot of water comming down today but the Audlem ones will be ok it will be the ones above at Tyral that will be the problem. the only one that may give you probs at Audlem is the one under the bridge above the S/fly and just rub along the footpath wall into it, you are going to hit the side anyway so you may as well start on the side.

there is a lot of water comming down today but the Audlem ones will be ok it will be the ones above at Tyral that will be the problem. the only one that may give you probs at Audlem is the one under the bridge above the S/fly and just rub along the footpath wall into it, you are going to hit the side anyway so you may as well start on the side.

24565[/snapback]

I suppose it could all change if it's sunny in Wales. :rolleyes:

Cheers Richard