Four counties ring - one week

golfer

Featured Posts

Harecastle Tunnel will be open from 8.00am to 6.00pm but to be guaranteed a passage you need to arrive by 4.00pm. It's just over 3 miles from Black Prince in Stoke to the southern end of the tunnel so, if you get away at 2.00pm you should arrive in plenty of time. BUT, in my experience, you will not get on the boat before 2.00pm and you still have to load your bits and pieces and be taken through the usual chat. You will be lucky to get away by 3.30pm and might not get through on the first evening. There are decent, quiet moorings at the south end of the tunnel - but there's no pub within easy reach - so you could stop there and be first in the queue the next morning. If you talk nicely to the tunnel keeper he may even arrange for the northbound convoy to be first away.

If you decide to go the other way round, you really need to get down to Barlaston at least on the first afternoon/evening. The moorings before that are not very attractive. That's just over 3 hours but there is a pub (I've not been in so I can't say what it's like). If you have to have the boat back by 10.00am on the last day, you need to aim to get through Harecastle on Friday afternoon. If you don't you could find yourself waiting until 9.00 or 9.30am for passage - 40 to 50 minutes - and a little over an hour from the southern end of the tunnel.

Sorry you missed your first week - enjoy this one!

We managed it a couple of years ago. Didn't get the Black Prince boat before 2pm, threw eveything on ( to be sorted en route) and told one of the staff which way we were going. He was very good and got us away before 3 and got through the tunnel OK

Geoff

Still if you enjoy the getting up at 6am every day!?

im assuming thats directed at me

ive checked both cruise diaries for last year

my start times for the first trip when there were 2 of us was as follows

sat - 1400

sun - 0610

mon - 0715

tue - 0640

wed - 0745

thur - 0830

fri - 1000

sat - 0815

not exactly 0600 everyday

10 am on Friday? Disgraceful slacking! :)

Well, back in the 80s we managed the Cheshire Ring in a week and I assume/hope this can't be much more strenuous...probably not as eventful as the evening we were forced to moor overnight in Manchester. The 20 mins spent finding a crack in the concrete big enough to take the mooring pins was an experience I will treasure forever! Anyway, as teetotallers we won't find ourselves sidetracked by quests for Real Ale once we set off...though a flagon of foaming tea is always an acceptable alternative!

Harecastle tunnel: 25 minutes was my record, but usually it takes an hour or so, there is an unwritten rule that the slowest boat somehow pushes his way to the front of the queue and crawls through at about 1/2 mile per hour, wondering why he bounces about from one side to the other.

You will follow along constantly having to drop into neutral because you keep catching him up whilst your engine is at tick-over.

We did the four counties last July in slightly over a week. For a trip report, see http://www.minsups.co.uk/isis/4c_set.htm

It was a fairly active week, but we did have time for some more leisurely days, and also had about a day on the Macclesfield. It was before the start of the scholl holidays, so perhaps not as busy as it could have been. In fact we were suprised how quiet it was and we didn't really experience any hlodups.

We went anticlockwise: don't know if that makes much difference.

We were actually on the ring though, whereas you will have to allow time for the extra bit from Middlewich to Preston Brook.

There is an unwritten rule that the slowest boat somehow pushes his way to the front of the queue and crawls through at about 1/2 mile per hour.

- no, its clearly writen down in the tunnel operators hand book! :)

Heartbreak Hill is a good example, most of the paired locks have now been reinstated and they are all in good nick, you can zoom through there now.

Not sure about this John. When we came through it (twice) in September, there were even less in use than earlier in the year. I think BW policy is to reduce the flight to effectively single locks.

Having said that, by having crew (singular) going ahead to set the locks, with me closing up behind, we got through at a reasonable pace. For example going North, we were in the first northbound convoy through Harecastle, having had to wait for the southbound convoy first, and finished the day by Church Minshull.

Thanks chaps! I think I'll get there a touch early and try to get the 2pm start so I can head for the tunnel. I'd be intrigued to know how long it takes to chug from one end to the other...

Standard time is 45 minutes, I've never been through in less than 40 or more than 50.

Try and go in last if southbound, first if northbound. This is because the air is drawn through by fans at the southern end.

Tunnel tips: Watch out for white painted bits, there are some bits of the roof that stick out where the alignment is readjusted. A torch is useful on the helm to spot them, and to read the arrows telling you how far you have gone. Put lots of cabin lights on as it helps you to see the sides from the steering position. Have a waterproof handy; It is reasonably dry if there hasn't been a lot of rain, but it can be very drippy.

We were actually on the ring though, whereas you will have to allow time for the extra bit from Middlewich to Preston Brook.

Thats a good point re: doing the 4 counties from Preston Brook. Takes approx 7 hours from PB to Middlewich so thats almost 2 days of the trip gone before you've gotten on the ring. And remember the Preston Brook tunnel is timed so you could have to wait there for anything up to 50 mins.

Anyway say hello to my Dad, John when you go. He is the owner of Claymoore (remember to ignore his terrible jokes).

Thanks for all replies

having thought long and hard about it i want a relaxing time not having to make deadlines all the time

that said i intend to cruise up the caldon canal via trent & mersey, i assume that well within a weeks cruising

any suggestions for best moorings?

Don't be put off stopping overnight at 'The Foxley' on the way. The pub and the area never looks inviting but I have moored at their garden many times, a good friendly pub with food.

In fact don't be put off by the first few miles of the canal, it becomes very much nicer further on (people have been known to turn back). Fantastic canal for pubs. The Holly bush at Hazlehurst aqueduct, The Boat at Cheddleton and of course the Black Lion at Consall Forge.

A bit of everything on the canal, you go onto the river though you are barely aware of it if the weather is dryish, you can even go through the tunnel and don't forget the Leek branch, it is worth the trip.

On your first night you'll get to Acton Bridge. There are two good pubs there a few mins walk from the canal. They are both next door to each other. Whenever I've "borrowed" a boat from the yard I leave in the morning and so get to Middlewich and moor there. Just above Big Lock is a good spot.

Have also moored at Wheelock which was quite a good spot, although quite crowded.

I used to have the attitude " Got to do the ring or bust " but later realised just how much I was missing with this Canal Tunnel Vision and now only do a few miles a day and get to enjoy the surrounding countryside much much more . Its surprising whats just over the hedge which you miss when trying to get round in a fast time and much much more relaxing which is after all what boating is all about.

Should short time completion of rings be encouraged - how many times have your mooring stakes been pulled out , your meal spilled into your lap or your boat hit by a boat speeding past to try to keep up with their tight schedule ?

The first part of the caldon has a bit of a reputation for bandits, but I've never had a problem. The flint mill museum on the junction is worth a visit if you have time. I would definitely do the leek branch if you have time, very picturesque and quite remote at the top end. At Froghall, if I remember rightly, the guide books are a bit deceptive about the winding hole - it is a bit earlier than it appears. You can turn past the tunnel, but even with the dropped water level it is quite tight.

Enjoy your trip.

Edited by dor

Quote:

"How many times have your mooring stakes been pulled out , your meal spilled into your lap or your boat hit by a boat speeding past to try to keep up with their tight schedule ?"

Never! Not once in 25 years. If your mooring spikes get pulled out it is because you did not bang them in hard enough or your mooring ropes are slack.

There used to be this chap who's letters appeared in Waterways Word on a regular basis. There he would be on his boat minding his own business, a cauldron of boiling water simmering on the stove and his grandchildren playing on the floor below. Then this maniac would blast past, pulling out all his mooring pins and only heroic action on his part saved the little ones from horrendous injuries.

What an oaf. But these silly stories have somehow got into our culture, boats do move about, it's in the nature of boats. Have any of you any experience of sea-boats, even when in port you get bounced about all over the place, nobody bothers, no damage is ever done, no one complains. People who don't like their boats to move a bit should buy a caravan or a conservatory.

Edited by John Orentas

Although I can more than appreciate a leisurely potter around the system, I also think there's a lot to be said for completing a route within a set schedule. When we rounded the Cheshire Ring in a week, we derived considerable satisfaction from completing our goal in the 7 days we'd alloted ourselves. Although we didn't get to go on 10 mile hiking expeditions from the boat - a blessing in itself! - we didn't find ourselves racing along but simply put in the extra hours at the same leisurely pace as everyone else...and of course, we slept blissfully at the end of each day!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
John sums it upexactly i think.

I never had any days of 10 hours solid cruising.

we had long days because we get up early to cruise in the morning, then stop for an hour or so for breakfast.  Then cruise some more, and stop for lunch.etc etc

The idea is to see as much as possible, whilst stopping for a while to take in a bit of the scenery. 

To be honest, my personal favourite parts of the trip are the shroppie between Brewood and Audlem.  Which is the far corner of the ring for you and then might aswell do the whole circuit

For the two routes you mention, they both have equal appeal.  However, the trent and mersey would mean 2 trips through Stoke, (which isnt the best mooring area).

The best pubs, in my limited (personal)opinion, are south of Audlem (Shroppie fly included) on the Shroppie, and south of Stoke on the T&M.

We're doing this ring anti-clockwise out of Nantwich in August but over two weeks rather than one.

We haven't been on the T&M before so it really is an adventure for us. The one part I am not looking forward to that much, having seen the place from the road, is Stoke-on-Trent. I appreciate I might be doing the place a disservice but I plan to motor through it and seek a mooring on the other side. Any recommendations?

gardencoaster

I dont think i could do it in a week , i supose that i have done about the equilavant of half and that is with 5 hr on friday, 9 hrs on saturday 9 hrs on sunday 10 hrs an monday and 13 hrs on tuesday that must work out at about 2 mph on average.

From now i think get up at 10 am cruse till 4 pm and that is what i think boating is about..

We haven't been on the T&M before so it really is an adventure for us. The one part I am not looking forward to that much, having seen the place from the road, is Stoke-on-Trent. I appreciate I might be doing the place a disservice but I plan to motor through it and seek a mooring on the other side. Any recommendations?

S-O-T is not as bad as it might appear from the A500.

south of stoke is quite pleasant, although it gets a bit tatty as you come into the area from the south. Once you hit the locks, you want to go to the top, by the caldon junction. There are reasonable moorings here, although not the prettiest of spots. A bit further up is a marina where you could probably get a mooring for the night if you are concerned.

If you carry on a bit further there are some pleasant moorings by a lake, north of Longport. This is a popular spot and reasonably quiet. Further up still, mooring at the southern portal of the tunnel is a nice quiet spot, and you will get in the first transit through the tunnel as well.

North of the tunnel is a bit tatty, but once you get to Red Bull and the Cheshire locks it is very pleasant with plenty of good moorings. Alternatively turn up the Macc and moor just beyond the aqueduct.

We're doing this ring anti-clockwise out of Nantwich in August but over two weeks rather than one.

We haven't been on the T&M before so it really is an adventure for us.  The one part I am not looking forward to that much, having seen the place from the road, is Stoke-on-Trent.  I appreciate I might be doing the place a disservice but I plan to motor through it and seek a mooring on the other side.  Any recommendations?

gardencoaster

Stoke isnt that bad, and as Dor says, there are a few spots to stop.

Personally, i'd tend to go straight through, and spend any extra time you may have taking it easy on the nicer stretchs.

Usually we moor by the Wedgewood factory if going north. You should easily be able to get through Stoke and then finish just short of the tunnel or even on heartbreak hill.

If you do stop at wedgewood factory then moor just short(northbound), dont go as far as the next lock. Both times i was there walking the dogs, there were kids playing on the lock all night. They were friendly enough, (not sure whether thats because im a six foot skinhead with 2 big dogs or not) but they were very noisy and had tried to sabotage the lock

Because we have dogs, we dont like to stop in built up area's, so that puts Stoke out of the question for us

It looks as though we'll be doin part/all four counties again in July!!! So i'll keep you posted of any irregularities (SP? wheres Maffi)