unlimited broadband

haza

Featured Posts

38 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

Well the copper lines from the green box to the house, especially those going up the local pole and overhead have not been renewed for tens of years, they only seem to do patch repairs. I think the bod who wanted me to continue being ripped off was English - try the help desk when the BT email server  goes down and they deny all knowledge of it. Try reporting an intermittent noisy line and so on. Try telling them the intermittent noisy line they have just billed you £60 for repairing (even though they did nothing) is still intermittently noisy.

Or the one where you only have a problem when it rains

24 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

1.  No it didn't. 

Is the wrong answer.

I

26 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

2.  That's the thing about emergencies.  They're often difficult to predict.  Nobody predicted my sister being rushed to hospital as I described above.  The good news is that it's so easy to be contactable these days.  You just leave your phone on.

How would your not having a mobile phone have affected her progress?

The good news is that it's still easy not to be contactable if that's what one wants. I have no living parents, no offspring and no siblings. Everyone else can wait their hurry.

Stay with EE, they have better coverage.  Ring them and tell them you need unlimited, and quote Three's offer, they will initially say No... ring them back later and ask for your Pac number for the phone and Stac number for the router and an unlock code for the router bcause you will switch to Three.  Tell them you would prefer to stay loyal and they will eventually offer you a deal and switch you instantly. I got unlimited everything data/minutes/texts on a sim only deal for my phone, and I use that as a personal hotspot to access the data for streaming et cetera.  Total cost including vat for a twelve month contract is £25 per month.  Three's contract is 24 month. 

37 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

?A mobile still doesn't always save you a long walk. Broke down a few years back in a deep valley out in the wilds and had to climb up high enough to get a signal.

Jen

I did the same on the A14 and had to stand on a fallen tree to get any signal at all

27 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

I notice that nobody in this thread has mentioned download speed.

I had been waiting 5 or 6 years for BT to come up with fibre-optic broadband in my locality. Last year I got fed up of waiting and switched to Virgin (no, I am no lover of Branson either) but the speed is about 53Mbps, compared with 8 with BT (if I was lucky).

Just now

image.png.a468c80f2e2da4e04c69533d52371220.png

2 minutes ago, Chagall said:

Stay with EE, they have better coverage.

Not everybody’s experience by any means. 

3 minutes ago, Chagall said:

Total cost including vat for a twelve month contract is £25 per month.

£5/month more than I pay to Three. 

funny way to write ,,could you not understand it then ...restless nomad or like you just said .you just wanted to sound smart ..i know what i would like to say to you but i would most likely get band from here .....ANYTHING FUNNY ABOUT THAT

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Chagall said:

For a 24 month contract that includes a router or sim only? 

Including router.  No idea about the length of the contract, I've been with them for 6 years now.

12 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Yes - I had that for years with a BT line.

2 minutes ago, haza said:

funny way to write ,,could you not understand it then ...restless nomad or like you just said .you just wanted to sound smart ..i know what i would like to say to you but i would most likely get band from here .....ANYTHING FUNNY ABOUT THAT

I don't know what sort of device you are using but it seems to throw in random commas and full stops.

14 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Actually that was both problems. The BT engineers assumed that the problem would be when wet but it was actually only after a period of warm dry weather. I suspect very poorly made joints associated with the pole.

2 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

Actually that was both problems. The BT engineers assumed that the problem would be when wet but it was actually only after a period of warm dry weather. I suspect very poorly made joints associated with the pole.

We have a pole covered in joints on the corner of our access, BT openreach spen days up there from time to time,often fixing one fault and causing another. I only know that because I offer them Tea

2 minutes ago, haza said:

or maybe i have a problem with the written word and english grammer 

In which case there was no need to accuse somebody of wanting to sound smart. A friend of mine has simialr problems but he still gained a degree in Mechanical Engineering. 

36 minutes ago, Athy said:

The good news is that it's still easy not to be contactable if that's what one wants. 

Your choice of course.  In the past I've been glad of being reachable on a mobile phone on a number of occasions.  For example, being able to take a call from my bank while boating about a transaction they thought might be fraudulent but was not - had they stopped it without my knowing that would have caused me significant inconvenience. Or when friends coming to meet us in a remote spot were lost and needed directions, or to find out due to a call received at the railway station that an event I was travelling to had been cancelled at the last minute, so saving me the cost of a ticket and boredom of a fruitless five hour round trip to London. 

Edited by peter n

3 minutes ago, peter n said:

Your choice of course.  In the past I've been glad of being reachable on a mobile phone on a number of occasions.  For example, being able to take a call from my bank while boating about a transaction they thought might be fraudulent but was not - had they stopped it without my knowing that would have caused me significant inconvenience. Or when friends coming to meet us in a remote spot were lost and needed directions, or to find out due to a call received at the railway station that an event I was travelling to had been cancelled at the last minute, so saving me the cost of a ticket and boredom of a fruitless five hour round trip to London. 

Good points, Peter. Having one obviously works for you.

I would add that I have nothing against these devices: indeed, I bought Mrs. Athy her first one, some 20 years ago, when her work involved a fair amount of driving alone, sometimes after dark. I wanted her to have one for her peace of mind.

I think that she rang me on it once in about two years, to say that she'd be late home because she was in a traffic jam. Fine, I'll open another can of Wadworth's while I'm waiting.

2 hours ago, Tracy D'arth said:

I had a bad experience which they handled extremely poorly.

I also had a bad experience handled badly about 20 years ago. I vowed never to use BT directly again and, if possible, indirectly either.

A couple of years ago, my wife liked the idea of Sky, rather than Virgin, for TV, so we took advantage of a Sky deal at the time but, in order to get BT Sport, the "best" deal was to take BT broadband and BT Sport.

As soon as the 18 month BT contract ended, we switched back to Virgin Media. The Sky bit was fine, but the BT side of things was a rip off - my wife now agrees.

2 hours ago, Athy said:

it's one of the things (along with television) which one goes boating to escape from.

When you say, "which one.....", you obviously mean you and Mrs. Athy, and not, "people in general".

You may, or may not, be in the minority these days, but there are lots, possibly most, who want phone, internet, TV, on their boats, whether they live on them, or not. I struggle with the concept of "escaping from.....", particularly wrt modern day technology.

I don't go boating to escape from anything, I go to add to my life, rather than subtract from it.

• Greenie 1

55 minutes ago, Chagall said:

Then that was a good deal six years ago.  Well done. 

I got a better one on my mobile three years ago, sim-only: £8/month unlimited everything. 

2 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

And then when I finally had had enough and switched had the gall to call me and ask why and what they could do to keep me.

They did this with me, but I had already switched and merely wanted to cancel. They struggled to understand that either they, or Sky, would have to pay me, in order to match the deal that I had got with Virgin Media.

They still tried to offer me something like the deal that Athy has ended up with to stay, but I still consider that to be excessive.