Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Parahandy

I Hesitate To Admit Im thinking Of A Trip To The Coast

Featured Posts

3 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Wales have done it far better in that respect - they still have the 'travel ban' and only 2 days ago charged a 'family' of 11 from Manchester travelling to Anglesey.

And it looks like the amount of the fines in Wales will be increasing. At long last!!

2 hours ago, Phil. said:

Whilst that may be the case for you individually, it would appear that there are far too many of your fellow furloughees, who are quite content to sit at home, or even go out for the day in the nice sunny weather, whilst being paid 80 percent of their salary for doing diddly squat. As to plod handing out fines like confetti, that is the last thing we need.

Not if it stops idiot tourists refusing to recognise that Wales has it's own, stricter rules and coming here!

29 minutes ago, Graham Davis said:

And it looks like the amount of the fines in Wales will be increasing. At long last!!

Not if it stops idiot tourists refusing to recognise that Wales has it's own, stricter rules and coming here!

I do love the current 'rabid' stay away from Wales/Cornwall/Norfolk/Any nice tourist spots being touted on social media at the moment.

Completely missing the point that when all this is really over folk might just say, yes Fu** it we will and bog off to Spain.

You told us to stay away.....so we did.

Lol

• Greenie 2

8 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

I do love the current 'rabid' stay away from Wales/Cornwall/Norfolk/Any nice tourist spots being ..full of retired crusties

I worked long and hard to move here, dont want those riffraff from my home town coming here and spoiling my peace, it's been lovely this last 3 months....

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Graham Davis said:

Be careful what you wish for, we may just stop coming to Wales full stop, then you will be whining about why your tourism industry is in the toilet. :D

Edited by Phil.
  • Greenie 1

4 hours ago, Sir Nibble said:

There's one form of behaviour that puts others at risk that's killed three people in my postcode in three months, there's another that's hurt no-one in the same area in the last year. One they come down on like a ton of bricks first offence every time, the other gets a polite request to please not do that. Guess which is which.

I give in. Perhaps you would explain.

8 hours ago, Graham Davis said:

£1600 if I remember correctly

10 hours ago, Athy said:

I give in. Perhaps you would explain.

I could have sworn I responded to this earlier but evidently not. Transmission of the virus kills more people than drink driving, more than speeding, more than drug dealing. These things tend to attract a stiffer response than "please don't do that".

14 minutes ago, Sir Nibble said:

I could have sworn I responded to this earlier but evidently not. Transmission of the virus kills more people than drink driving, more than speeding, more than drug dealing. These things tend to attract a stiffer response than "please don't do that".

I would not have guessed that you were referring to drinking and driving.

Just now, Athy said:

I would not have guessed that you were referring to drinking and driving.

Nonetheless the comparison is valid. Both put others at risk for reasons of selfish gratification, in my area at least drink driving has theoretical consequences, the virus kills in actuality.

I see Nomad and Phil have completly ignored the fact that Wales have their own law making legislation, but instead have attempted, unsuccessfully as usual, to turn it into a "nationalism" thing. 

7 minutes ago, Graham Davis said:

I see Nomad and Phil have completly ignored the fact that Wales have their own law making legislation, but instead have attempted, unsuccessfully as usual, to turn it into a "nationalism" thing. 

Just where exactly have I said anything that could be considered remotely  'nationalist'??? Or ignored Wales' ability to make it's own laws???

I was talking about people getting fed up with being told not to visit somewhere including Cornwall and Norfolk which are not 'nations' and when the time comes remembering how quickly 'locals' were keen to shun tourists, even prior to lockdown BTW.

I'll leave @Phil. to comment for himself.

Edited by The Happy Nomad

Yep, go to the beach, plenty of room ...

image.png.ad6babcf2b5aeac312025bc566aa85d1.png 

(From daily Mirror, repeated in other rags)

15 hours ago, matty40s said:

I worked long and hard to move here, dont want those riffraff from my home town coming here and spoiling my peace, it's been lovely this last 3 months....

I'm with you, Frome has already fallen into the trap of getting people to move from London, now they're trying to attract tourists... 

34 minutes ago, magpie patrick said:

I'm with you, Frome has already fallen into the trap of getting people to move from London, now they're trying to attract tourists... 

I lived in the Lakes for about 10 months or so on a short term contract and do somewhat understand the conflict between the need for the cash tourists bring and the resentment for the chaos they also bring.

I was glad to move on after the summer, admittedly I was working around Ambleside but even simple tasks took twice as long as they did during the winter

23 hours ago, bizzard said:

In my opinion facemasks like mine should be worn and made compulsory for everyone whilst out and about, especially in confined spaces like shops and supermarkets.

You're wearing a mask?

Just thought you had a hard life.

• Haha 1
  • Unimpressed 1

17 hours ago, Phil. said:

Be careful what you wish for, we may just stop coming to Wales full stop, then you will be whining about why your tourism industry is in the toilet. :D

They could always open some coal mines?

3 hours ago, tree monkey said:

I lived in the Lakes for about 10 months or so on a short term contract and do somewhat understand the conflict between the need for the cash tourists bring and the resentment for the chaos they also bring.

I was glad to move on after the summer, admittedly I was working around Ambleside but even simple tasks took twice as long as they did during the winter

To be fair - I felt like that in London sometimes. (up until recently) it was where I worked and whilst walking up Whitehall I had to suppress the "FFS get out of the way, some of us are here because we work here" as 13 tourists tried to be photographed in a red telephone box (in every combination, solo, couples, trios, whatever...) completely blocking the pavement for tens of yards

• Greenie 1

3 hours ago, tree monkey said:

We owned houses for days off and holidays in Cornwall for many years. We had one for a few years right down in the harbour in Looe in a fab spot overlooking the harbour and fishing boats a few yards away. It was fab in the winter but we dint go much in the summer as it was bloody awful and wall to wall people and parking. Next one we bought on the outskirts of Looe and the third was a few miles in land and made far more sense.

• Greenie 1

Brining it back to a canal theme, many years ago @magpie patrick and I (and a few friends) hired a boat for a week and went to Ellesmere Port and back. Our lunch whilst moored in the museum was interrupted by a childish treble "Mummy, Mummy. There's people eating on this one" - I guess you moor in a tourist spot, you take the consequences.

On 20/05/2020 at 19:31, Phil. said:

Whilst that may be the case for you individually, it would appear that there are far too many of your fellow furloughees, who are quite content to sit at home, or even go out for the day in the nice sunny weather, whilst being paid 80 percent of their salary for doing diddly squat. As to plod handing out fines like confetti, that is the last thing we need.

You miss the point. Furlough isn't an alternative to work, it's an alternative to being laid off. The idea is that as restrictions lift companies can function again immediately with established trained staff. The alternative is companies collapsing and the staff unemployed. It's hardly reasonable for people forbidden to work by the national response to the virus to be thrown into the inhuman, vile clutches of the benefit system because of some people resenting what appears to them to be paid holiday. As for fines. I know of no other law except possibly possession of small amounts of cannabis where the default position is to be let off. The consequences for the offender is to listen to a copper asking them not to do it again, the consequences to others could be multiple deaths. The tolerance is massively disproportionate to the potential for harm.

20 minutes ago, Sir Nibble said:

You miss the point. Furlough isn't an alternative to work, it's an alternative to being laid off. The idea is that as restrictions lift companies can function again immediately with established trained staff. The alternative is companies collapsing and the staff unemployed. It's hardly reasonable for people forbidden to work by the national response to the virus to be thrown into the inhuman, vile clutches of the benefit system because of some people resenting what appears to them to be paid holiday. As for fines. I know of no other law except possibly possession of small amounts of cannabis where the default position is to be let off. The consequences for the offender is to listen to a copper asking them not to do it again, the consequences to others could be multiple deaths. The tolerance is massively disproportionate to the potential for harm.

I understand the furlough scheme well enough and support its limited use. The problem is that there comes a time, when people need to get back to work, and although anecdotal, it seems some are resistant to returning to work, on the basis of some perceived health risk, and this reluctance is aided by the fact that they are getting paid, whether they are at work or not. The virus is with us now and there is not a lot we can do about it, so the options are to now return to semi normal living, accepting a degree of risk but taking sensible precautions, or destroy the economy, and live in impoverished times for the foreseeable future, with all the extra deaths that will cause. The country can not afford the furlough scheme, and the damage already inflicted is immense, we just haven’t begun to feel the pain yet.

• Greenie 2

"It seems some."

Is that a basis for a major decision?

Industries will reopen and the basis for furlough in each case will change. I was furloughed on the basis that although my employer wasn't forced to close, the businesses we serve did and so there was no work for me to do. As work picks up EMPLOYERS will withdraw the furlough in order to get on with their business.

It seems some,...

Will be down the pub instead...

Tim says Wetherspoons getting ready to open in June. Bar screens, table service, limited menus and staff temperature checks.

1 hour ago, Sir Nibble said:

"It seems some."

Is that a basis for a major decision?

Industries will reopen and the basis for furlough in each case will change. I was furloughed on the basis that although my employer wasn't forced to close, the businesses we serve did and so there was no work for me to do. As work picks up EMPLOYERS will withdraw the furlough in order to get on with their business.

The bit in bold 

Returning to work is primarily a decision for the employer, not the employee - something that every single media commentator and many involved in the political system seem to have missed - "you should go back to work...", what and sit on the doorstep of a locked workshop or office? 

I have not stopped working, there is a demand for what I do and I continue to meet it - I do not for one minute resent those who have been paid to stop (which includes, for example, the parents of my god children) - I really don't get the simmering resentment that so many feel towards others in this sort of circumstance.

11 minutes ago, magpie patrick said:

The bit in bold 

Returning to work is primarily a decision for the employer, not the employee - something that every single media commentator and many involved in the political system seem to have missed - "you should go back to work...", what and sit on the doorstep of a locked workshop or office? 

I have not stopped working, there is a demand for what I do and I continue to meet it - I do not for one minute resent those who have been paid to stop (which includes, for example, the parents of my god children) - I really don't get the simmering resentment that so many feel towards others in this sort of circumstance.

Whilst I tend to agree with you here I dont think its so much simmering resentment as recognising the fact that the virus aint going anywhere, we have no vaccine and bankrupting a country to such an extent that people will be paying back for generations will be worse than reopening the world albeit working and living in a somewhat different manner.