Which type of gloss roller

Featured Posts

22 hours ago, blackrose said:

Thanks. To be honest however I put the gloss on it's never going to look as good as these youtube examples. I thought my prep was pretty good until I put on my first coat of undercoat which just highlighted all the uneven areas.  Also I'm painting outside and having to deal with the sun, wind, showers, willow pollen, dust, insects, etc.

It isn't necessary to flat between every coat (possibly Scotch-Brite cloth) , if you're building up the depth, as long as the next coat goes on within 24hrs (with one part enamels). The penultimate coat can be flatted with 400 paper, 240-320 on the earlier surfaces. Don't linger anywhere and crack on, don't fiddle with the paint after laying off. Speed, paint consistency, technique, and environment conditions.  

Edited by Higgs

1 hour ago, Higgs said:

Vacuum, surface wipe, tack cloth. The cloths are ok, but no need to use any pressure - just in a dusting fashion. I would generally only use proper surface wipe on the steel. 

No I'm definitely not using the tack cloths I bought. If they're leaving grease and wax on my fingers just by touching them then I can only assume they'll do the same on my undercoat. The argument against spirit wiping is that you're just spreading the dirt around and not actually removing it, but if you look at your cloths then you get a pretty good idea of what's happening. Anyway, I'd rather have a bit of dust or dirt on the surface than a layer of wax.

1 hour ago, Higgs said:

It isn't necessary to flat between every coat (possibly Scotch-Brite cloth) , if you're building up the depth, as long as the next coat goes on within 24hrs (with one part enamels). The penultimate coat can be flatted with 400 paper, 240-320 on the earlier surfaces. Don't linger anywhere and crack on, don't fiddle with the paint after laying off. Speed, paint consistency, technique, and environment conditions.  

Thanks, I flattened off before putting on 2 coats of undercoat and again afterwards. I'll do as you say and just flatten off again before the final gloss coat.

The wind died down a bit at about 3pm so I thought I'd try to get the first coat of gloss on one side. The finish wasn't too bad but I didn't realise how many insects were flying about so I had to stop. 

I'm trying my best but painting the cabin sides outdoors really is difficult. Even if you manage to find a time when it's nice and cloudy with no direct sunlight and the temperature is ok, then you have to deal with willow pollen or swarms of insects.

painting.jpg

Edited by blackrose

21 minutes ago, blackrose said:

I'm trying my best but painting the cabin sides outdoors really is difficult. Even if you manage to find a time when it's nice and cloudy with no direct sunlight and the temperature is ok, then you have to deal with willow pollen or swarms of insects.

Yup.  Have you asked around if there's a poly-tunnel available anywhere?

27 minutes ago, blackrose said:

The wind died down a bit at about 3pm so I thought I'd try to get the first coat of gloss on one side. The finish wasn't too bad but I didn't realise how many insects were flying about so I had to stop. 

painting.jpg

I was just about to take a cloth to the laptop screen. You've suffered there a bit. The insects have suffered more, but they'll flat pretty well. It's going to be a pain in the neck.  Flat before your last coat, and take the boat somewhere sheltered for the last - if possible. 

3 hours ago, WotEver said:

Yup.  Have you asked around if there's a poly-tunnel available anywhere?

I don't know of one anywhere near me on the Nene. I wouldn't have time to get the boat down there anyway. Just got to wait for better conditions.

Edited by blackrose

2 hours ago, Higgs said:

I was just about to take a cloth to the laptop screen. You've suffered there a bit. The insects have suffered more, but they'll flat pretty well. It's going to be a pain in the neck.  Flat before your last coat, and take the boat somewhere sheltered for the last - if possible. 

I wonder if you can mix Deet into paint....

I got my final topcoat on one of the cabin sides today. It's a reasonable finish but the gloss paint revealed the limitations of my prep. Anyway, I can live with an industrial finish, it's never going to be perfect prepping and painting outdoors. 

Some quite large insects like dragonflies have embedded themselves in the paint and crawled around. I'm pretty sure they won't just brush off tomorrow. Perhaps they think the dark gloss is water. Is there any way of lightly keying the affected areas and "repairing" the paintwork with some thinned out paint? I could do another final coat but I'm sure the same thing will happen again.

IMG_20200531_143503_380.jpg

IMG_20200531_143816_360.jpg

Edited by blackrose