Sterling sine wave alternator died ☹️

Featured Posts

I have a sterling engine powered 240v generator which has recently died on me.image.jpeg.d21e85f88741f0ed8e957e866597089b.jpegThe control box seems to start and the cooling fans run when the start button is pressed but usually a relay kicks in after holding the start button down for a few seconds. Now when the start button is released the unit just shuts down.

I suspect a fault with the alternator that drives it, but I can't be sure.

As far as I can tell this model is obsolete, I can't even find any archive info online for it.

So my question is does anyone know someone who can repair such a unit, preferably someone who does call out work. We are presently on the Oxford canal but would be happy to move the boat once the Covid restrictions are lifted.

If this unit should prove not to be worth repairing or can't be repaired we will need to start looking at other options.

During the summer our solar provides most of our power needs, we have 3x230amphour batteries but our main engine alternator isn't really up to the job of charging them in anything resembling a reasonable time. We tend to switch on the Sterling 230v unit and the 40amp charger. The only things we really need the 230 for are the battery charger, the microwave (occasionally) and the washing machine. Unfortunately our boat only has a 1000watt inverter which won't run these units.

I was thinking even if we get the sterling unit fixed I should really get the alternator upgraded to a high output unit and fit a bigger inverter.

So a couple more questions

Does anyone know any decent mobile mechanics or reliable marinas who would fit a high powered alternator without the requirement of providing them with an arm and a leg?

And what size inverter would be a sensible choice to run a washing machine? I was thinking 2k

As always your responses would be much appreciated 

3 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Have you considered a marine (built in) diesel generator ?

Or, a Travelpower ?

https://fourcountiesmarineservices.com/3-5-travel-power/

https://betamarine.co.uk/portfolio-item/travel-power/

These units are basically the same thing as the Sterling system, auxiliary alternator that runs through an dedicated inverter.

cant really afford a new on hence wanting the one I've got fixed.

Although I say I can't afford one, I can't actually find any sites online that give prices, this leads me to suspect the are bloody expensive.

7 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

Might be worth talking to https://www.coxautoelectrics.co.uk/ who certainly know Travelpowers. If it is the alternator that's faulty they will probably be able to fix it.

Thanks Tony, just had a look at their website they say the can refurbish just about any DC motor or alternator so it is defiantly worth a shot. I'm not sure what is actually wrong but suspect the alternator as it it the moving part, could be anything though as I think the whole set up is about 16 years old.

The handy thing about this company is that once the Covid restrictions are lifted I can get there by boat.

This is really a sideways thought - in an attempt to keep costs down, but it does make some assumptions which the experts will shout down.

As has been said the travel power / sea power units were / are a modified alternator with inverter electronics added on as a separate unit (I Ithink mine cost £5k some 20 years ago and it blew up...).

Depending on what the output voltage if the alternator - Bimble sell inverters with  48V DC input for £385 - soo can the laternator be doctored to give 48V - if so that makes the project more affordable??

6 minutes ago, OldGoat said:

This is really a sideways thought - in an attempt to keep costs down, but it does make some assumptions which the experts will shout down.

As has been said the travel power / sea power units were / are a modified alternator with inverter electronics added on as a separate unit (I Ithink mine cost £5k some 20 years ago and it blew up...).

Depending on what the output voltage if the alternator - Bimble sell inverters with  48V DC input for £385 - soo can the laternator be doctored to give 48V - if so that makes the project more affordable??

Not sure I fancy playing around with it but it sounds like someone should start getting hold of some 48v alternators and build some cost effective travel power systems for the boating community. At £385 for the inverter add a couple of hundred for the alternator, should be able to sell for a grand or so and still turn a tidy profit.

26 minutes ago, OldGoat said:

I am not sure the alternator has any rectification in it and the inverter MIGHT be a three phase device.

I am sure that some electric hybrid cars run at 48 volts so  a 48V alternator might be available from that source but they may well be motor cum alternators or built into the flywheel.

18 minutes ago, Bewildered said:

Not sure I fancy playing around with it but it sounds like someone should start getting hold of some 48v alternators and build some cost effective travel power systems for the boating community. At £385 for the inverter add a couple of hundred for the alternator, should be able to sell for a grand or so and still turn a tidy profit.

We have a travel power on this boat, we had one ont Udson before this boat. Its at the very top of my list when looking for a boat to buy. Ed Shiers reconditions and fits entire units if you have the correct engine? Cant recommend these units highly enough and Ed shiers does sterling work though he didnt do this one its been on since new in 2008.

Have you gone and hidden on that big boat park down the south west?

8 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Ed Shiers reconditions and fits entire units if you have the correct engine? Cant recommend these units highly enough and Ed shiers does sterling work though he didnt do this one its been on since new in 2008.

Don't need on fitted, already got one its just buggered at the moment. Do you have contact details for Ed?

11 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Have you gone and hidden on that big boat park down the south west?

Still stuck on the Oxford. We have been traveling between Cropredy and Banbury water points. One week go to Cropredy to empty cassettes etc, and the next week Banbury for same and a fortnights shopping. The rest of the time moored in isolation to avoid all the dirty Girties.

Even when they lift the travel ban we have decided to give the K&A a miss this year, don't want to get stuck on a canal famous for crap moorings if a second wave of Covid hits us.

12 minutes ago, Bewildered said:

Don't need on fitted, already got one its just buggered at the moment. Do you have contact details for Ed?

Still stuck on the Oxford. We have been traveling between Cropredy and Banbury water points. One week go to Cropredy to empty cassettes etc, and the next week Banbury for same and a fortnights shopping. The rest of the time moored in isolation to avoid all the dirty Girties.

Even when they lift the travel ban we have decided to give the K&A a miss this year, don't want to get stuck on a canal famous for crap moorings if a second wave of Covid hits us.

07922 163072 top bloke.

1 hour ago, Bewildered said:

Thanks Tony, just had a look at their website they say the can refurbish just about any DC motor or alternator so it is defiantly worth a shot. I'm not sure what is actually wrong but suspect the alternator as it it the moving part, could be anything though as I think the whole set up is about 16 years old.

The handy thing about this company is that once the Covid restrictions are lifted I can get there by boat.

I used Cox Autoelectrics to refurbish my bow thruster motor earlier this year and can thouroughly recommend them.

They will look at your alternator and give you a call back with a fixed repair price once they have dismantled it and assessed what is wrong.

Their main business is repairing automotive electrical equipment for classic cars, so as long as they can get spares, age shouldn't be a problem.

Edited by cuthound
To add the last paragraph

1 hour ago, OldGoat said:

It would not be easy. The Travel Power alternator has no internal diodes or regulator. The diodes are in the big black (or silver box). The black box also controls the rotor current to maintain a fixed output voltage (3 phase AC) from the alternator. Taking the diodes out of the alternator does help the cooling a bit, though its not such an issue as the alternator produces a high voltage, my guess is about 200. Part of the TravelPower advantage is that it most likely only has to reduce the input voltage rather than stepping it up.

If a 48volt alternator was available then linking this to a 48v inverter would go half way to a TravelPower, but not sure if it would be happy without a battery. If going down that route then doing the whole boat at 24 volts might be a better compromise.

..................Dave

42 minutes ago, blackrose said:

First port of call for me would be Sterling Power. They might be able to fix it.

01905 771771

Hmmm - you could try very politely - however both senior - and young - Sterling have had their fair share of 'customers' fiddling about and requesting the impossible, that they've developed a thick hide.

This unit never really figured in their catalogue (I've known the company since the Boat Show was at Earl's Court - and that predates Methusalah) and it never figured in the catalogue when the only competition was Beta's SeaPower and the very early Travel Power.

But don't let me put you off. Be very polite, grovel a bit and --- who knows...

(Sorry, Mike)

Edited by OldGoat

59 minutes ago, OldGoat said:

Hmmm - you could try very politely - however both senior - and young - Sterling have had their fair share of 'customers' fiddling about and requesting the impossible, that they've developed a thick hide.

This unit never really figured in their catalogue (I've known the company since the Boat Show was at Earl's Court - and that predates Methusalah) and it never figured in the catalogue when the only competition was Beta's SeaPower and the very early Travel Power.

But don't let me put you off. Be very polite, grovel a bit and --- who knows...

(Sorry, Mike)

Don't know about Sterling junior but his father was the most obnoxious person it was ever my misfortune to speak to . When considering going down the 230v alternator path I phoned them in response to a Waterway world? ad . In all innocence I asked how they worked. His response "you don't need to know how they work." This was when I was looking to spend spend about £1700 on the item in circa 2000. Strangely I went elsewhere never to return. Mastervolt ever since.

• Happy 2

2 hours ago, Slim said:

I asked how they worked. His response "you don't need to know how they work."

Yup, that sounds like Charles.

If you were to tell him that his MSW inverter blew up your cordless toothbrush charger his reply would be "Yes, it would" 

Edited by WotEver
  • Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, dmr said:

Get Victron, it works, its a nasty shade of blue but with a bit of care it could be sprayed black.

????

Victron don't make a Travelpower equivalent.

22 minutes ago, WotEver said:

????

Victron don't make a Travelpower equivalent.

Yes, I thought we had moved on to a general discussion about Sterling.

I found a www thing recently from somebody else who is making a TravelPower type device. I will see if I can find it again.

That Sterling "Travelpower" looks like a one off or prototype to me?????

Funny thing the TravelPower, it always feels like a sort of bodge to avoid a big inverter and battery bank, but it just works so so so well.

..............Dave

7 minutes ago, Bewildered said:

Anyone know how much a travel power system supplied and fitted would cost these days? The internet is ominously devoid of such useful info

Why not drop a line to Four Counties and ask?  They stock reburbed units too.

Just now, dmr said:

Funny thing the TravelPower, it always feels like a sort of bodge to avoid a big inverter and battery bank, but it just works so so so well.

Yeah, but it's quite the opposite really. Less stress on the alternator, and considerably less heat, and the inverter part has much less to do than one which is taking 12V and raising it up to 230V,

8 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Why not drop a line to Four Counties and ask?  They stock reburbed units too.

Yeah, but it's quite the opposite really. Less stress on the alternator, and considerably less heat, and the inverter part has much less to do than one which is taking 12V and raising it up to 230V,

When we reduce the engine revs the Travelpower voltage drops and the washing machine complains, all the high tech stuff where the inverter makes up the excess sounds really good, but the TravelPower has a stand alone simplicity that I like. I've burnt myself a couple of times on the domestic alternator whilst the Travelpower has never got more than warm.

.....................Dave