Boating with Dogs

kiteapot

Featured Posts

We have nearly always had a dog on board. When we had the camping boats we had a real Heinz variety called Scruff. He would sit on the cabin roof and after a bit would decide to walk along the top planks to the front turn round and come back. If on the counter he would jump off in the bridge hole and run along the towpath to the next one. Ok when he was young but in old age he would often miss but he loved swimming anyway. We have since had 3 Airedale terriers and fortunately none of them have been keen to swim but have been great on the boats and the barge gave lots of room to walk round the decks.

2BB3D9F6-3D22-479B-A603-EFFA01DC8DEB.jpeg

87540F18-C875-47C8-9635-96B2DB94728A.jpeg

• Greenie 1

22 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

Luckily our cockpit is weather proof and just wipe clean so it really doesn't matter how wet or dirty it gets we just hose it out.

I'll have to go through the boat weather-proofing it as soon as I get it anyway - not just for her getting wet/muddy, because I'm just as guilty for coming home like that! ?

1 hour ago, Matt&Jo said:

20160917_135609.jpg

She looks so regal!!!

16 minutes ago, David Mack said:

I won't have a dog on a trad stern deck like that. The space is just too small and there is too much chance that you will trip over the dog at the wrong moment, or get your foot caught in the lead.

We generally keep Athena on the back cabin roof, tied to the mushroom vent on a short enough lead that she can't fall over the cabin side. Keep a blanket and bowl of water up there too.

At locks she likes to come off the boat, although it is a bit of a pain holding onto the dog with one hand while opening a paddle with the other.

I couldn't imagine having a dog on a trad stern. Appreciate that some people do, but mine loves to wrap her lead around my legs at the best of times! Not a fan of the trad stern for me anyway - will have a nice cruiser "patio" ?

Hadn't thought about mushroom vents... are they strong enough? TT's are able to pull a surprising amount of weight for their size - I wouldn't want her making new holes in the roof in excitement!

18 minutes ago, Dav and Pen said:

We have since had 3 Airedale terriers and fortunately none of them have been keen to swim but have been great on the boats and the barge gave lots of room to walk round the decks.

87540F18-C875-47C8-9635-96B2DB94728A.jpeg

Barge temptation! ?

19 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Dogs and boats don't mix, they are terrified of the noise, vibrations motion etc. Don't do it !!!

(The French Bulldog does get sea-sick when its rough)

? Do you want to try telling my dog that?! She's the kind that loves standing up in the car when we go round corners. Fluffy little thrill seeker!

She loved being on boats (engine running but not moving) and once she'd explored everything with her nose, was quite happy to find a spot near the fire to snore at us!

35 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

No chance with ours. Luckily our cockpit is weather proof and just wipe clean so it really doesn't matter how wet or dirty it gets we just hose it out.

Ours will swim in any water. 

20190709-105945.jpg

The water in your photo is incredibly clear, where is it?

21 minutes ago, kiteapot said:

?

? Do you want to try telling my dog that?! She's the kind that loves standing up in the car when we go round corners. Fluffy little thrill seeker!

She will have to come for a ride with Syd. :D

20180526-080817.jpg

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, kiteapot said:

I'll have to go through the boat weather-proofing it as soon as I get it anyway - not just for her getting wet/muddy, because I'm just as guilty for coming home like that! ?

I have "Dog Robes" which I put on the dogs if they do come in wet and or muddy. They are basically towelling with long ties which cross over under the dogs tummy and tie off on the top of their back. Great for keeping the wet and mud off the furnishings

haggis

18 minutes ago, haggis said:

I have "Dog Robes" which I put on the dogs if they do come in wet and or muddy. They are basically towelling with long ties which cross over under the dogs tummy and tie off on the top of their back. Great for keeping the wet and mud off the furnishings

haggis

That's a great idea! Could do with one of those for me... 

She's been trained to stop on her towel when she's wet/muddy. Then I just scoop her up in the towel and put her in the shower. Works a treat.

1 hour ago, Naughty Cal said:

Vault Beach at Cornwall.

Many thanks.  We were in Gorran Haven & Mevagissey last Feb as part of a SW tour. Popped into Meva this Feb as we had a fortnight touring down there again. We love Devon & Cornwall in the winter. 

Last time we were on Vault Beach must be 30 years ago. We will add it to our hit list next time.  

My rescue GSD is easily distracted by ducks and dogs on the towpath, so can't be trusted to stay on the counter. We keep the stern doors of our modern trad (with oversize hatch) closed and he either lies on top of the engine covers, or put his paws on the hatch slides and looks out as we go along.

24 minutes ago, cuthound said:

My rescue GSD is easily distracted by ducks and dogs on the towpath, so can't be trusted to stay on the counter.

That's my concern - generally speaking, everything else is more important and more interesting than me when we're out walking... but in the car she's fine, so I'm hoping that we strike a happy medium on a boat.

4 minutes ago, waterdog said:

Our two go on short leads within the semi trad area when in locks etc. 

Otherwise they tend to sit looking at the world going by or lie down for a sleep.

Wonderful! My second choice is semi-trad for this very reason - good to see that there's plenty of space for two happy labs in there!

15 minutes ago, kiteapot said:

That's my concern - generally speaking, everything else is more important and more interesting than me when we're out walking... but in the car she's fine, so I'm hoping that we strike a happy medium on a boat.

Wonderful! My second choice is semi-trad for this very reason - good to see that there's plenty of space for two happy labs in there!

If you get a semi-trad with stern doors the area can easily and quickly enclosed simply by closing and locking the stern doors.

• Greenie 1

5 hours ago, cuthound said:

If you get a semi-trad with stern doors the area can easily and quickly enclosed simply by closing and locking the stern doors.

That was my thought - although personally I do prefer a bit more space at the back of the boat.

1 hour ago, PD1964 said:

Tibetan Terriers make great boat dogs, 

Wonderful picture! 

19 hours ago, MHS said:

Many thanks.  We were in Gorran Haven & Mevagissey last Feb as part of a SW tour. Popped into Meva this Feb as we had a fortnight touring down there again. We love Devon & Cornwall in the winter. 

Last time we were on Vault Beach must be 30 years ago. We will add it to our hit list next time.  

I used to own a house in Gorran Haven...........................too bloomy steep so we flogged it lol.

I've mentioned this before on a dog related thread but can't find it to refer it here - so - a freak event that could have ended badly - we were moored up against a solid bank - concrete - and the dog followed me off for a walk. I was getting off the back and the shape of the stern meant an ever increasing gap as it rounded off. She slipped on the steel cant (maybe nails a little long) and went in between boat and bank - and didn't come up.What had happened was she came up under the uxter plate and was then trapped under water. Don't know what made me think of it, but I reached under the uxter plate and luckily she was within reach. Heart stopping event which could have gone bad so very quickly.

• Horror 1

7 hours ago, Mike Tee said:

I've mentioned this before on a dog related thread but can't find it to refer it here - so - a freak event that could have ended badly - we were moored up against a solid bank - concrete - and the dog followed me off for a walk. I was getting off the back and the shape of the stern meant an ever increasing gap as it rounded off. She slipped on the steel cant (maybe nails a little long) and went in between boat and bank - and didn't come up.What had happened was she came up under the uxter plate and was then trapped under water. Don't know what made me think of it, but I reached under the uxter plate and luckily she was within reach. Heart stopping event which could have gone bad so very quickly.

That's exactly the sort of thing that scares the proverbials out of me. Heart stopping indeed. Maybe I'll just strap her to my back instead ?

1 minute ago, kiteapot said:

That's exactly the sort of thing that scares the proverbials out of me. Heart stopping indeed. Maybe I'll just strap her to my back instead ?

could so easily have been prevented by me clipping her on a lead before getting off - like most serious incidents, they happen quickly and with 20/20 hindsight, so easily prevented

Just now, Mike Tee said:

could so easily have been prevented by me clipping her on a lead before getting off - like most serious incidents, they happen quickly and with 20/20 hindsight, so easily prevented

Very good point. As mine is a rescue she's rubbish at recall so almost always on the lead anyway. And I'm very much relying on your hindsight for my foresight!