Fire Blanket.

NewCanalBoy

Featured Posts

Before I purchased my boat there was a fire Blanket onboard. I noticed a little after purchase that it had been taken away

I have more than enough fire extinguishers but having read something recently it maybe a requirement to have one ?

I want to get one anyway so was just wondering what sort of size do people get ?

Is there a minimum for the BSS ?

Any recommendations ?

Edited by NewCanalBoy

Having done fire marshal training (which included practicing putting out fires), I'd say that a fire blanket is about the most useful pieces of fire-fighting equipment you can have on board.

Cheap and effective. Lasts a long time (unless you use it in a serious fire). 

• Greenie 1

47 minutes ago, Alastair said:

Having done fire marshal training (which included practicing putting out fires), I'd say that a fire blanket is about the most useful pieces of fire-fighting equipment you can have on board.

Cheap and effective. Lasts a long time (unless you use it in a serious fire). 

Not just on boats either. Saved burning a house down many years ago when I used one to put out a conflagration in the kitchen after doing something spectacularly stupid. The blanket had to be replaced afterwards, but quickly put out the blaze before it could spread.

Jen

• Greenie 1

Speaking of fire blankets one of things I notice is where they are located. I have seen several browsing the adverts that if you had a fire, assuming it was at the stove, you would have been hard pressed to reached it without a serious risk of being burned.

• Greenie 1