Modern Canal Engineering

Heartland

Featured Posts

2 hours ago, pearley said:

Forgot that. Cruised both old and new. Wish I'd explored the Saville Colliery loading basin and the other old staithes around when I could of. Didn't even take any photos of Kippax Lock.

Ive searched for images of Kippax but never found one. Located one of the original lock at Lemonroyd though.

Edit - having said that just found these.

014r00ix0apf.jpg

014r00ix0apg.jpg

Edited by The Happy Nomad

Ynysbwllog aqueduct - built in the early 2000's IIRC correctly (possibly late 1990s) to replace the original swept away in floods about twenty years earlier, I was slightly involved in this project. the single span is made from a pair of girders, each 48m long. The original plan was for 52m long girders but we couldn't get anything that long out of the foundry yard! The girders are just over two metres high with classic i shape - the top of the girder forms the towpath and a plate was placed between the girders and reinforced to take the weight of water. Each girder was lowered into place with from the adjacent A465 dual carriageway

i girder.jpg

Ynysbwllog aqueduct.jpg

The old lemonroyd (I think) taken in 1964. we had been held up at Kippax due to a problem at Lemonroyd for which they had lowered the level between the two locks to carry out repairs

349077571_OldPicks20232.jpg.33bd8812ab15077bcd71b4afddf4e81e.jpg1333337600_OldPicks20233.jpg.05fdf95b730343ee28d14d8c4038e538.jpg

Edited by Split Pin

31 minutes ago, Split Pin said:

The old lemonroyd (I think) taken in 1964. 

Its hard to tell. I do know the lock cottage in your pictures was demolished and replaced but the control tower and the overhead gantry is different in this picture suggesting that was modified too.

Screenshot_20200519-112547_Chrome.jpg

2 hours ago, The Happy Nomad said:

Its hard to tell. I do know the lock cottage in your pictures was demolished and replaced but the control tower and the overhead gantry is different in this picture suggesting that was modified too.

Screenshot_20200519-112547_Chrome.jpg

To some extent I am working with 56 year old memories and other photograps in the sequence from which my original image is taken, In the background of the second picture their appears to be a bridge which I take to be Fleet, the next photograph in the sequence is (again I think the loading stage before the bridge).

Looking at OS maps from the era doesnt make things any clearer, but a photo here https://newwoodlesford.xyz/first-world-war/robert-metcalf/ suggests that it may actually be Woodlesford

Edited by Split Pin

5 minutes ago, pearley said:

Your last picture not Woodlesford. Cottage on wrong side.

Inclined to agree. I believe the original  cottages at Woodlesford and Lemon Royd (as was) were built to a fairly standard/similar design.

Lemonroyd more likely, despite the alterations to the gantry and control tower.

The other option is Fishpond lock further along towards Leeds.

5 hours ago, magpie patrick said:

Ynysbwllog aqueduct - built in the early 2000's IIRC correctly (possibly late 1990s) to replace the original swept away in floods about twenty years earlier, I was slightly involved in this project. the single span is made from a pair of girders, each 48m long. The original plan was for 52m long girders but we couldn't get anything that long out of the foundry yard! The girders are just over two metres high with classic i shape - the top of the girder forms the towpath and a plate was placed between the girders and reinforced to take the weight of water. Each girder was lowered into place with from the adjacent A465 dual carriageway

i girder.jpg

Ynysbwllog aqueduct.jpg

Something I' m not quite getting here! The top image shows a post tensioned concrete beam, whereas the photograph looks to show a fabricated steel trough aqueduct. Neither of these would come from a foundry.

A 48m length may have been the longest practical length for transport, but it is not at all uncommon for the final assembly of long steel spans from shorter sections to be done on site adjacent to the final location, using either bolted splices or site welds, with a large crane only required for the final placement. And sometimes bolted splices are completed in situ while one or more sections are hanging from the crane.

We have a new (ish) canal structure here in Milton Keynes - Grafton St Aqueduct built in the 90's when the dual carriageway was extended under the canal. I lived here then and used to do a lot of walking; I'll try and dig out any pictures (surveys an awful lot of cardboard box's of 6x4's and shakes head in disbelief...)

3 minutes ago, 1st ade said:

We have a new (ish) canal structure here in Milton Keynes - Grafton St Aqueduct built in the 90's when the dual carriageway was extended under the canal. I lived here then and used to do a lot of walking; I'll try and dig out any pictures (surveys an awful lot of cardboard box's of 6x4's and shakes head in disbelief...)

https://www.geograph.org.uk/stuff/list.php?title=Grafton+Street+Aqueduct&gridref=SP8241

49 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Something I' m not quite getting here! The top image shows a post tensioned concrete beam, whereas the photograph looks to show a fabricated steel trough aqueduct. Neither of these would come from a foundry.

A 48m length may have been the longest practical length for transport, but it is not at all uncommon for the final assembly of long steel spans from shorter sections to be done on site adjacent to the final location, using either bolted splices or site welds, with a large crane only required for the final placement. And sometimes bolted splices are completed in situ while one or more sections are hanging from the crane.

The image was to show the I shape,  I can't find a font that makes an I like a T but with a bar at the bottom!

The beams were made at Fairfield Mabey in Chepstow, which had been a foundry*, although they would not have been the result of a foundry process it was still referred to as "the foundry" when they made the beams - the foundry site is now proposed for housing, such is the way of things.  We had the girders fabricated off site as there was no room between the A465 and the aqueduct site to assemble them on site - they were lifted straight from the trailer onto the abutments

*It was still a foundry early in my career, I helped defend them when there were allegations that they had ejected foundry sand over most of Chepstow, analysis suggested the sand was actually from the Sahara

1 hour ago, pearley said:

Your last picture not Woodlesford. Cottage on wrong side.

This picture that I linked to shows it on the RH side and the Cottage looks very similar, the Chimneys are slightly different but they could have been rebuit027-the-lock-woodlesford-640x398.jpg.8eb46e650eca9a4f8c7d28b78b574a97.jpg

17 minutes ago, Split Pin said:

The next picture in the sequence which looks like Fleet Bridge to me. It is not guarented that the photograpks are in chronological order

634078189_OldPicks20235.jpg.b81525a3f71d4512aa4f48b2124390f8.jpg

Almost certainly Fleet bridge, the pipeline and coal chute of course long since gone.

It looks like the entrance to the 'stub' (Fleet cut) is there just after the bridge on the right.