Modern Canal Engineering

Heartland

Featured Posts

Since the start of the Twenty First Century engineers and construction firms have continued to have an input into new works on the canal. These include road diversions as well as restoration and waterways improvement. All these projects probably require better recognition. They have so many more tools at their disposal compared to the pick and shovel of the early navvies or the railways contractors plant used in the nineteenth and early twentieth century.   

At Stoke on Trent, in 2006, the canal was diverted and then put back along a similar route for the new A500. This is an example of 21st Century Canal Engineering.

stoke.jpg

Plenty of other examples about, some where economy rather than speed are driving the methodology.  Examples include the Huddersfield Narrow, where there was quite a lot of replacement canal built, the Wendover Arm, where modern techniques can make the bed watertight, something the Grand Junction Canal never achieved, and parts of the restoration of the Wyrley and Essington from Ogley to Huddlesford.

Then there are things like building replacement SSSIs on the Droitwich Barge and the Montgomery.

N

When I've been monitoring HLF projects one of the decisions to be made is when to use new techniques and when to use traditional - of course in many instances a blend of the two is used. If restoring a largely intact lock of bridge in situ try and go with the old, of building a new structure where non was before then it's often preferred for the work to be shamelessly modern. 

Oil Mills Bridge (below), at Ebley, shows an instance where the crown of the bridge had been pushed in but the springs survived - the hump couldn't be recreated so BW came up with, and HLF (me) approved a hybrid solution. 

369020767_OilMillsBridge.jpg.1483d2dd2301d278d6fb8ee3c59c676f.jpg

With regard to @Heartland post the bottom lock at Etruria was built in the 1970's and looks and works like a lock built by a highway engineer - the obvious difference from the others in the flight is that it is all concrete and has bottom ground paddles, but some of the other subtle differences are notable, all sharp edges, little stand up flags marking the cill and it is notably oversize for a narrow boat, probably about 8 foot wide. 

1 hour ago, Heartland said:

At Stoke on Trent, in 2006, the canal was diverted and then put back along a similar route for the new A500. This is an example of 21st Century Canal Engineering.

stoke.jpg

This picture confuses me though, the main works in S-o-T were in the 1970's not 2006, but those cars look too modern for the 1970's so I'm assuming there was a second set of works?

1 hour ago, magpie patrick said:

This picture confuses me though, the main works in S-o-T were in the 1970's not 2006, but those cars look too modern for the 1970's so I'm assuming there was a second set of works?

ISTR The works in the 2000's were an extension to the works carried out in the 1970's, I went through a temporary tunnel here several times in 2004

170 Trent & Mersey Canal Stoke On Trent 10th April 2004.JPG

Edited by Tim Lewis

Thanks Tim

For that image.  I never took a boat through the temporary tunnel, being on trips elsewhere on the system.

How long was the tunnel would you say?

And yes, the bottom lock at Stoke was, in the 1970's, I understand, and is 20th century work.

Curdworth Top Lock is a modern replacement for the original. Moved a few hundred yards west to give lower crossing for the M6 Toll.

And several locks on the HNC are modern as is Tuel Lane and several Rochdale Tunnels.

Plus Sandy Lane on the Camp Hill flight.

Edited by pearley

I always liked this at Kidsgrove where local canal men built, because of subsidence, a replacement lock from concrete. However, they built one just the same in layout as locks built earlier, and it could have been used by horse boats — new materials used to create a traditional structure.

2000 Kidsgrove 716.jpg

9 hours ago, Heartland said:

Since the start of the Twenty First Century engineers and construction firms have continued to have an input into new works on the canal. These include road diversions as well as restoration and waterways improvement. All these projects probably require better recognition. They have so many more tools at their disposal compared to the pick and shovel of the early navvies or the railways contractors plant used in the nineteenth and early twentieth century.   

stoke.jpg

I went through there, Dont know if I have any photos

The Ribble Link of course - despite supposedly being a millenium project the groundworks didn't start until 2001.

This also has the cachet of being the first completely new inland waterway built in the UK for a long time - I seem to recall a hundred years? - maybe the historians will know what the previous one was.

Edit to add:

I think the previous "new" navigation might have been the New Junction Canal, opened in 1905, so not quite a hundred years previously.

Edited by TheBiscuits

The 21st century work in Stoke was to accommodate the upgrade to the A500.  Parts were dualed and also roundabout removed and replaced with slip roads and a high level roundabout.

1 hour ago, The Happy Nomad said:

Not 21st century but the reconstruction of the Aire & Calder between Lemonroyd Marina and Allerton Bywater after the St. Aidens breach of the adjacent River Aire.

https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/whats-on/arts-and-entertainment/drama-site-mine-flooded-week-was-march-21-27-1988-1780572

Forgot that. Cruised both old and new. Wish I'd explored the Saville Colliery loading basin and the other old staithes around when I could of. Didn't even take any photos of Kippax Lock.

Edited by pearley

2 minutes ago, Keeping Up said:

Ah yes, Sid's ditch

I was thinking more of the cut and tunnels in front of the Three Graces and under the museum that so upset English Heritage but if you prefer the landfill in Trafalgar dock you are allowed to ...

20170518_145608.jpg.59c47ced9303177e28131dfd2d91df57.jpg

1 minute ago, TheBiscuits said:

I was thinking more of the cut and tunnels in front of the Three Graces and under the museum that so upset English Heritage but if you prefer the landfill in Trafalgar dock you are allowed to ...

20170518_145608.jpg.59c47ced9303177e28131dfd2d91df57.jpg

I would have thought the actual museum, the ferry terminal and the Mann Island development should have upset English Heritage more.