Wobbly multifuel stove

Featured Posts

I've just reattached a tile that came loose from the stove surround and whilst there I noticed my stove has a slight wobble when I push the base of the flue. It rocks maybe a couple of mm, which I don't think it did previously. I've noticed the tiles at the bottom where it is screwed in have slight cracks on two of the corners, the other two appear to be OK. 

I think it might have happened when I smacked into a wall on approaching a lock as I attempted not to be pulled into the weir when the river levels were higher. 

Would there be any way of stabilising the stove without taking the whole thing out and replacing the broken tiles? Not something I fancy having done if I don't need to. 

IMG_20200517_162409.jpg

IMG_20200517_162338.jpg

What are the tiles attached to? If straight on to plywood, then that would not be good. Have a horrible feeling there will need to be some removal and investigation. If the stove has been there long years and only now are the tiles cracking, then something underneath them isn't standing up to the conditions. Cumulative heat damage, or cumulative damp. Possible the contact boating you had might have caused it, but the hearth should be able to take a bit of a bump.

Jen

Thanks for the replies. 

The screws to the brackets appear to be tight. 

I don't think the floor is sinking! Although the photo seems to suggest it could be, in real life it still looks straight. 

The stove has been there about 4 years, replacing a collapsing cast iron one that was probably there for the previous 15 years. Not sure what is underneath the tiles but I have a feeling I might be finding out in the not too distant future. 

On closer inspection there were no brackets holding down the two rear corners.

I did find some oval shaped metal plates held inside the leg with a screw though, but it looked as if they were still in factory default position, so I'm starting to wonder if the stove has always been slightly wobbly since it was installed and I've only just noticed. I've rotated these and tightened them so they push down onto the tiles and the stove is much more stable. I assume this is what they're for? 

Edited by Rumsky
Grammar n ting

12 minutes ago, Rumsky said:

On closer inspection there were no brackets holding down the two rear corners.

I did find some oval shaped metal plates held inside the leg with a screw though, but it looked as if they were still in factory default position, so I'm starting to wonder if the stove has always been slightly wobbly since it was installed and I've only just noticed. I've rotated these and tightened them so they push down onto the tiles and the stove is much more stable. I assume this is what they're for? 

Depends on the stove but some have adjustable turn up and down feet to cope with an uneven surface, perhaps these are a variation?

1 hour ago, WotEver said:

And a wobbly stove, even if only very slight, is a BSS fail for a picky examiner. 

Ours needs fixing down for BSS but also, in my mind, more importantly for when the next idiot uses our boat to come to a stop rather than slowing down. Its on my priority list and working out a plan for the best (easiest) way to do it. It would have been easier to do when it was installed but that was before we bought it.