Advice on telephone provider

hvdb

Featured Posts

4 hours ago, dor said:

Remember that come January 1st, the whole issue of being able to roam between EU and GB without additional charges will change. Especially for data.

I can’t see that is going to be a big issue, it’s commercial.  Three had roaming in EU countries long before the EU said you had to, and its  roming goes much further than the EU boundaries anyway.  I guess EU based networks may take a different view, but given it is the same global companies everywhere in general I suspect not.

1 hour ago, john6767 said:

I can’t see that is going to be a big issue, it’s commercial.  Three had roaming in EU countries long before the EU said you had to, and its  roming goes much further than the EU boundaries anyway.  I guess EU based networks may take a different view, but given it is the same global companies everywhere in general I suspect not.

I think they all had roaming, but did you see what they charged for it? 

It was the EU that stopped them ripping us off, so they will be free to do so again when we have properly left. They probably wont as it will lose business, but they could, and they might.

6 hours ago, Richard10002 said:

I think they all had roaming, but did you see what they charged for it? 

It was the EU that stopped them ripping us off, so they will be free to do so again when we have properly left. They probably wont as it will lose business, but they could, and they might.

I did not put is very well, Three had their concept of calla to UK and your data being the same as iit is in the UK long before it was a requirement.  I did not mean that you actually paid for the roaming as you did way back.  Similarly there are a lot of non EU countries where this “free” roaming applies today, US, Australia, New Zealand for example.  

Seems that Three now call this “Go Roam” and these are the places where it works  http://www.three.co.uk/Support/Roaming_and_international/Roaming_Abroad/Destinations

Thank you all for your helpful input!

We now have the information with which we can put the right questions to the new provider. If we are satisfied with his answers, we'll probably change providers.

Next time in the UK we'll see if it works out ok. If not, we can stop the plan after a month, so no harm done. And we have the backup of my phone, this stays with TMobile (Netherlands) and  works very well in the UK.

Thanks again.

Helen

I use a 3 mobile sim that works in phone or router, currently £22/month (£11 for first six months of the 24 month contract).  Unlimited data, texts and calls. You can get the same sim for £26/month with no contract if you are only here 4 months at a time.  I've found coverage to be good and was getting ludicrous speeds when I used to live near a tower.  Where I am at the moment is typically bad for mobile but I'm still getting 20mbps down and 15mbps up.  I pretty much never use it for calls so can't comment on the phone signal.  Tethering off my phone has never been a problem, offering speeds maybe 20% less than I get with the router and an omnidirectional aerial.  As others have mentioned there are always black spots, but it's easy enough to pick up other providers for one month to see if they are any better.  EE is supposed to have the best coverage but it is much more expensive and - last time I looked - has no unlimited data option.