Advice on telephone provider

hvdb

Featured Posts

We are a Dutch couple, mainly living in the Netherlands and staying on our narrowboat in the UK for about 4 months a year.

We currently use (Dutch) Vodafone as our mobile telephone provider, this works  very well both at home and in the UK. 

The telephone is used for calling, texting, WhatsApp, mobile internet and as a hotspot for the iPad and a laptop. 

A different Dutch provider has made us an offer that is much cheaper than what we are paying now.

Asked about using the telephone in the UK, they said that they use Hutchison, Orange and Telefonica. In the Netherlands they use TMobile's network

Is Hutchison the same as Three,  and is Telefonica O2?

Does Orange still exist? In our country it merged with TMobile some years ago.

What is your opinion on these providers, especially with a view to using the phone on the boat. 

Good coverage and a strong signal are important to us, not only in urban areas, but in rural areas as well.

Thank you for your thoughts,

Helen

Hutchinson = Three. Orange = EE.

I use Three and have found very good coverage on most parts of the UK canal system I've visited. If your new provider is using these two in the UK you should be fine.

Jen

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies

6 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Hutchinson = Three. Orange = EE.

I use Three and have found very good coverage on most parts of the UK canal system I've visited. If your new provider is using these two in the UK you should be fine.

Jen

Thats strange as in some places you get no 3 signal and a wonderful EE one and vice versa 

3 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Thats strange as in some places you get no 3 signal and a wonderful EE one and vice versa 

Hence why I said "most" Had a blank bit for miles and miles of the GU through Warickshire a few years back. No supplier is good everywhere. If the Dutch provider is using both 3 and EE, then that should cover almost everywhere.

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies

I would check what the policy with tethering is when roaming.  Whilst Three is very good on the roaming in that you use the data from your plan, typically unlimited, tethering does not always work, and I believe contractually it actually says it does not work.  Perhaps this is because in some countries tethering is generally allowed?  If that is the case you would be fine on the Three network in the UK, as all Three’s current plans allow the full use of your data via tethering. 

21 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Hence why I said "most" Had a blank bit for miles and miles of the GU through Warickshire a few years back. No supplier is good everywhere. If the Dutch provider is using both 3 and EE, then that should cover almost everywhere.

Sorry I can see now I miss read your post and = signs

If you are coming to the UK you can buy a sim from "Smarty" who are part of the 3 company I understand  https://smarty.co.uk/sim-only

We use 3 and O2 in general 3 a bit better but there are areas like crick braunston etc where you have to climb up to the top of the hill to get a good signal. Text messages usually fine but voice calls etc drop out when on the boat.  Look at getting a WiFi dongle with an external aerial for data as the boat is basically a faraway cage so phones only work by a window or door.

The Dutch provider said they are using both 3 and EE (Orange).

He'll call us back later this week to see what we have decided, we'll ask specifically if they use both.

john6767: Good point, I don't expect problems as tethering is widely done here, but we'll check it, just to be sure.

Helen 

5 minutes ago, Detling said:

We use 3 and O2 in general 3 a bit better but there are areas like crick braunston etc where you have to climb up to the top of the hill to get a good signal. Text messages usually fine but voice calls etc drop out when on the boat.  Look at getting a WiFi dongle with an external aerial for data as the boat is basically a faraway cage so phones only work by a window or door.

I seem to get good phone reception and internet with Three, I only occasionally have to move to door or window.

54 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Indeed which is why our two phones are deliberately with different suppliers (real ones) However, we originally went with Three for the main boat one about 10 years ago as it then had, allegedly, the best coverage of canals which at the time were often, outside of towns, in areas poorly served. (Lower Heyford we very much a dead area with everyone, entailing a trip up the hill make a call!) The differences now are mainly down to very local conditions, or so it seems to us.

8 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

Indeed which is why our two phones are deliberately with different suppliers (real ones) However, we originally went with Three for the main boat one about 10 years ago as it then had, allegedly, the best coverage of canals which at the time were often, outside of towns, in areas poorly served. (Lower Heyford we very much a dead area with everyone, entailing a trip up the hill make a call!) The differences now are mainly down to very local conditions, or so it seems to us.

3 is still useless at Heyford but o2 works on some mooring spots. I have found that o2 has the best coverage when I travel wether it be downt K and A or oop norrfff or in between. I have tried 3 twice over the years and binned it due to poor coverage. However things change all the time and different locations come and go. Where my old mums house is we got zero signal on o2 until last year when it suddenly became 5 bars in every room. If I change which I doubt I may give 3 a try again as I think they have upped their game recently.

• Greenie 1

It might be worth checking that the roaming data fair usage limit for the new provider meets your requirements. Over here, providers have set this at different levels. Assuming your data plan exceeds the fair use limit, when in the EU areas covered, UK Three customers have a limit of up to 20GB, For EE it is up to 45GB. 

• Horror 1

2 hours ago, hvdb said:

The Dutch provider said they are using both 3 and EE (Orange).

He'll call us back later this week to see what we have decided, we'll ask specifically if they use both.

john6767: Good point, I don't expect problems as tethering is widely done here, but we'll check it, just to be sure.

Helen 

You could tell Vodaphone you are leaving for a better deal, and see what they are prepared to offer to keep you. That way, you would be keeping the provider that you know works for you.

Having said that, if you end up piggy backing on EE and Three, you should have a good signal from one or the other in most places.

26 minutes ago, dor said:

Remember that come January 1st, the whole issue of being able to roam between EU and GB without additional charges will may change. Especially for data.

Corrected that for you. 

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, dor said:

Remember that come January 1st, the whole issue of being able to roam between EU and GB without additional charges will change. Especially for data.

From what I’ve seen most UK providers are saying they will keep things in place with no additional charges regardless of the deal situation.

But as the OP will have a Dutch provider it’s worth checking they follow suit. 

Alternatively, just get a sim over here for use over here. You can get lots on a monthly basis. 

Edited by Ianws
Extra info

6 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Cant be correct. everything will go up and all property in the UK will become worthless if we ever voted out of the e........................oh just a minute...............

As it is, we will never know now. 

27 minutes ago, dor said:

Useful information.  Of course it could all change, mobile phone providers are not known for their benevolence.

Three already provide roaming abroad using the standard data/calls/texts allowances in a range of EU and non-EU countries. So why would they change just because we are outside the EU?

1 hour ago, mrsmelly said:

Cant be correct. everything will go up and all property in the UK will become worthless if we ever voted out of the e........................oh just a minute...............

Well thats what the BBC said at the time

• Greenie 1