Technodrive reverse delay issue

Featured Posts

I have a technodrive 60 on a Vetus engine with 750 hours on it.

Forward is fine (with the clunk)

On selecting reverse 3 out of 5 times the drive doesn’t engage. 

The prop shaft will rotate slowly but there is no clunk or engagement. If you rev the engine revs but prop shaft stays at same speed.

Other times the reverse drops straight in (with clunk) (but never when you need it) occasionally it will engage after 7-10 seconds in reverse.

Checked oil, and cables (happened when operated with no cables attached today). It obviously works some of the time but not others. 

I have traweled the web for answers, read the manual and every gearbox post on this forum.

Has anyone got any advise please. I’m aware they do not seem to be highly regarded it’s what I’ve got, for the moment.

Thank you 

11 hours ago, dor said:

Best thing I did to my boat's propulsion system was to change the Technodrive 60 for a PRM 150.  A surprisingly easy change to do. Took me about two hours.

Seconded.  Much better with a PRM and they are not so expensive, quieter than the Technodrive too. Will cost nearly the same to fix as replace, if you can get parts. Spares from Vetus will be an horrendous price.

The clue is in the name, Tech  no  drive.