Responsibilities of marina during Covid restrictions

Momac

Featured Posts

3 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

As I have pointed out before, the health facilities here in Cornwall are sized to cope with the normal levels of demand. In a 'normal' summer they deal with quite a bit of visitor trade (as it were). I suspect the same is true for all holiday destinations. 

That does imply a considerable overcapacity for most of the year in A&E. Does this mean that there is usually a large ICU standing unused and underemployed staff for most of the year too?

Just now, Sir Nibble said:

That does imply a considerable overcapacity for most of the year in A&E. Does this mean that there is usually a large ICU standing unused and underemployed staff for most of the year too?

Not at all as the indigenous population get flu just like the foreigners from across the Tamar. Demand varies seasonally everywhere and the NHS has leaned to cope with it - unlike those folks that take any opportunity to indulge their xenophobia.

Just now, Mike Todd said:

Not at all as the indigenous population get flu just like the foreigners from across the Tamar. Demand varies seasonally everywhere and the NHS has leaned to cope with it - unlike those folks that take any opportunity to indulge their xenophobia.

So is there or is there not spare capacity awaiting an influx of visitors? Right now. If they are sized to meet seasonal visitor demand then there will be, and outside the season for visitors they will be oversized.

4 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

foreigners from across the Tamar.

folks that take any opportunity to indulge their xenophobia.

:lol:

7 hours ago, robtheplod said:

Maybe a work around is to be employed by your parents?

Put your house up for sale quietly. Don’t advertise it. Have your parents come to view it...

On 16/05/2020 at 20:46, Midnight said:

Help - I'm at a loss to understand how staying overnight on a boat you can visit two days running is any more a threat than the two visits?

Well what if we all go away and stay, one makes no difference but as I said, in case of a town near here it could increase the population by 60%, You can't make "rules/guidance" for each individual 

7 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Well what if we all go away and stay, one makes no difference but as I said, in case of a town near here it could increase the population by 60%, You can't make "rules/guidance" for each individual 

That's it. If everyone did it it would be a problem. The reason everyone doesn't do it is not so that a self selecting special few can.

5 hours ago, Sir Nibble said:

So is there or is there not spare capacity awaiting an influx of visitors? Right now. If they are sized to meet seasonal visitor demand then there will be, and outside the season for visitors they will be oversized.

At our local Health Centre there is no spare capacity, as the support levels are set to cope with the local population, and the summer "rush" is dealt with by employing a locum (hopefully). 

3 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

If "we all go" to that town two days running the threat is even greater. I'm not suggesting we should all go and stay on our boats just pointing out the flaw in one rule fits all.

13 hours ago, Midnight said:

If "we all go" to that town two days running the threat is even greater. I'm not suggesting we should all go and stay on our boats just pointing out the flaw in one rule fits all.

But they wont all come every day and go home because the would spend all day traveling both days

23 hours ago, Sir Nibble said:

:lol:

The opportunity now is for each Trust to work out how to catch up with the backlog and yet remain ready for a second wave. 

On 17/05/2020 at 11:22, Machpoint005 said:

Well put. Since our police are indeed human, it always pays to be polite and courteous in one's dealings with them.

The police will still be on our side, and policing by consent, after the Revolution.

The police are on their side. It’s madness to pretend otherwise...a fair few love any extra powers they are granted. 

1 hour ago, Mike Todd said:

The opportunity now is for each Trust to work out how to catch up with the backlog and yet remain ready for a second wave. 

Yes, and to plan for that they need reliable population figures that won't be subject to change due to people who think movement restrictions don't apply to anyone who can satisfy themselves that their individual travel is not a problem.

2 hours ago, Sir Nibble said:

Yes, and to plan for that they need reliable population figures that won't be subject to change due to people who think movement restrictions don't apply to anyone who can satisfy themselves that their individual travel is not a problem.

They seem to have been coping pretty well for many years with major changes in the population in Cornwall from season to season. How else do we sustain such a major tourism and hospitality sector without which the number of jobs in the Duchy would be a fraction of what it is (or was). The impact of Covid19 on Cornwall is much more an economic one as we have been proportionately much harder hit than most counties. And there is no vaccine for that.

BTW, I am not remotely arguing that lockdown should be removed entirely but that a better case has to be made than the one about Cornwall's hospitals being just for locals. I gather that our general hospital came nowhere near to being at the limit of its capacity (as was the case in all regions - one or two individual units made a fuss but the medical politics in London can be a bit complicated)

25 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

They seem to have been coping pretty well for many years with major changes in the population in Cornwall from season to season. How else do we sustain such a major tourism and hospitality sector without which the number of jobs in the Duchy would be a fraction of what it is (or was). The impact of Covid19 on Cornwall is much more an economic one as we have been proportionately much harder hit than most counties. And there is no vaccine for that.

BTW, I am not remotely arguing that lockdown should be removed entirely but that a better case has to be made than the one about Cornwall's hospitals being just for locals. I gather that our general hospital came nowhere near to being at the limit of its capacity (as was the case in all regions - one or two individual units made a fuss but the medical politics in London can be a bit complicated)

Holiday makers will have accidents and fall ill. As you say they are used to coping with that. The point is can they cope with that AND local covid infection AND covid cases among visitors AND increased infection rates brought in by visitors. Covid isn't instead of normal demand, it's in addition.

1 hour ago, Mike Todd said:

That is why the government put the country into lockdown. So there was room in ICU for all that needed it. No one could say to the Government that people died because the NHS couldn't cope

40 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

That is why the government put the country into lockdown. So there was room in ICU for all that needed it. No one could say to the Government that people died because the NHS couldn't cope

Many people died before the NHS had a chance to intervene, the stay at home policy with the only call 111 when you cant breath meant people either died at home or in the first 12 hours of getting to hospital. 

• Greenie 1

As others have said, it is a case that the no staying overnight is a one size fits all which is not equal in a number of situations. I live in the same county that my boat resides in. It takes me 40 minutes to drive to the boat from home. I should add that the nearest major hospital to me is 30 minutes from home (probaly 20 minutes or less on blues and two's) and the boat is 10 minutes from the same hospital. Ok there are a couple of smaller hospitals nearer with limited services.

Perhaps the no staying overnight should have been only if you go outside your council tax area and still isolated yourself.

All restrictions related to Covid-19 are by definition catch-all, and there will always be some people (or businesses) unfairly disadvantaged by them, that's the nature of restrictions. Given that the only alternative which doesn't unfairly disadvantage anybody is no restrictions and hundreds of thousands of deaths (who you'd have to say are pretty disadvantaged as a consequence), perhaps people should acknowledge that this is just something they'll have to put up with for the time being?

Not suggesting that the government couldn't have done better, but just whining "it's not fair on me..." is a bit selfish given the death tolls...

Edited by IanD
  • Greenie 2

5 hours ago, Cheshire cat said:

I think it was Mrsmelly that pointed out that if the government had to draw up advice for every scenario then the guidance would take on the appearance of a 1980's telephone directory. 

Just chill for another week or so. 

....until the vaccine is ready.

2 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

....until the vaccine is ready.

Which may be never.

Apparently vitamin D is a good defence as it boosts the immune system. So an outdoor lifestyle is good .... 

33 minutes ago, MartynG said:

Which may be never.

Apparently vitamin D is a good defence as it boosts the immune system. So an outdoor lifestyle is good .... 

Yea, good call.

Vitimin D I really really good. I take one a day you know. It really works wonders. Taking vitamin D is very good.

Im also on the hydroxychloroquine  which is also really really good. It's working great so far, it really is.

Edited by Dr Bob
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

Yea, good call.

Vitimin D I really really good. I take one a day you know. It really works wonders. Taking vitamin D is very good.

Im also on the hydroxychloroquine  which is also really really good. It's working great so far, it really is.

And the bleach enema, how’s that working out for you?

Personally, I’ve just tried swallowing a few light bulbs. 

11 hours ago, MartynG said:

Which may be never.

How about anti malaria pills, someone said they work