Responsibilities of marina during Covid restrictions

Momac

Featured Posts

What are the  legal responsibilities of a marina to ensure its customers obey the guidance during the Covid-19 restrictions?

For example people sleeping overnight on their boats  in the marina . Should the marina  ensure this is not occurring?

Can't see how it would be possible for staff to check the overnight properly. Torchlight through the windows at midnight? Now people can get to their boats guess some are going to take the proverbial. At the end of the day though, staying out at second home is against the law so the police could prosecute if irrefutable proof. Marina, just like other businesses, should have stated distancing and sanitation policies/guidance in place before reopening, eg one off - one on the jetty, Not dismissing the Q;  someone staying over on their leisure boat at the moment is simply claiming to be more important, more privileged and more entitled to put everyone else at greater risk than the rest of us. 

• Greenie 3

1 minute ago, BilgePump said:

At the end of the day though, staying out at second home is against the law so the police could prosecute if irrefutable proof.

Which law is that then?

Anyway, in answer to the OP a marina has no more duty to ensure its customers comply with the law than any other curtain twitcher.

• Greenie 1

8 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

Which law is that then?

Anyway, in answer to the OP a marina has no more duty to ensure its customers comply with the law than any other curtain twitcher.

Sorry, getting very confused now between law and guidance. I'd remebered this qupte 'People in England are free to drive as far as they like to outdoor open spaces. But they should not travel to Wales, Scotland or Northern Ireland, or stay anywhere else overnight, including at a second home.' from https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51506729 yesterday but now not sure how to read it.

1 minute ago, MartynG said:

I guess they have more important  things to do.

Correct. I just answered your question and gave you my opinion.

1 minute ago, MartynG said:

I guess they have more important  things to do.

You would think so wouldn't you, yet I have seen more police in and around our village  (where there are a lot of second homes)  since the lockdown, than in the entire nine years I have lived here.  

It particularly baffles me that we regularly see patrol cars now late at night, after 10.30 when there is literally no-one around.  I suppose there are fewer motorists for them to hassle these days.

• Greenie 1

20 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

Which law is that then?

The idea of a curtain twitcher would suggest someone who has an unwarranted interest in their neighbour's activities even though they may have no impact on their own life. This isn't anything like that. The idea of one rule for the 'rebels' and one for the rest in this situation just doesn't wash. Play the game ffs or else it will keep spreading

• Greenie 2

13 minutes ago, Midnight said:

Help - I'm at a loss to understand how staying overnight on a boat you can visit two days running is any more a threat than the two visits?

No overnight = higher chance that someone is actually on home turf when they fall ill. Prevent people from very long journeys (holidays)

• Greenie 1

40 minutes ago, BilgePump said:

The idea of a curtain twitcher would suggest someone who has an unwarranted interest in their neighbour's activities even though they may have no impact on their own life. This isn't anything like that. The idea of one rule for the 'rebels' and one for the rest in this situation just doesn't wash. Play the game ffs or else it will keep spreading

Yes (to the first sentence). The “no overnight staying” guidance is intended to prevent mass migration from the cities to holiday homes in beauty spots, which would risk them becoming overburdened. I can understand that.

There is already one rule for the plebs and another for the privileged, viz all the politicians, police chiefs, royalty, prime ministers et al who have scuttled off to their second homes (and got caught). So the moral point isn’t valid. There is a valid point about not spreading the virus irresponsibly but unless you can provide some insight I’m missing, there can surely be no increased risk of spreading the virus by sleeping on one’s boat overnight, vs 2 visits on consecutive days. In fact it seems obvious that the former is lower risk. Only fascists want to apply the law regardless of common sense (although let’s bear in mind there is no such law).

• Greenie 4

1 hour ago, Neil2 said:

You would think so wouldn't you, yet I have seen more police in and around our village  (where there are a lot of second homes)  since the lockdown, than in the entire nine years I have lived here.  

It particularly baffles me that we regularly see patrol cars now late at night, after 10.30 when there is literally no-one around.  I suppose there are fewer motorists for them to hassle these days.

Or fewer criminals plying their trade, less drunk drivng, in fact less drunken idiots.

I would not spend time worrying about what the police are doing. I think they do pretty well, all things considered.

I think they did a bit of arrsting today, n London, hope they spend a night in jail and get fned maximum

Edited by LadyG
  • Greenie 1

4 minutes ago, Neil2 said:

I, and many others, worry about what the police are not doing, such as investigating burglaries and prosecuting shoplifters.  

Not so long ago we were being told that the constabulary was dangerously under resourced, now they seem to have the time to drive up and down quiet mountain roads and deserted streets at night.  

Ever been on the receiving end of police harassment?  If you ever are, you will change your view.

I think to be fair the police are just like every other group - some good, some bad. The only problem is that the bad ones are empowered with stuff that ordinary bad people arent. I suppose to dismiss all police as bad people is “policeist”.

1 hour ago, nicknorman said:

There is already one rule for the plebs and another for the privileged

Perhaps the privileged will not be a burden to the local heathcare facilities as they can call in for medevac to their preferred facilities...?

Edited by peter n

33 minutes ago, Tom Morgan said:

I'm still happy to police myself, which is largely how the country used to run itself when I was a lad.  I'll go to the boat in the morning, maybe take it out on the canal so I can turn it round easily (it's a 23-footer) so I can reach both sides to remove the winter covers and give it a wash, then go back into the marina, tie it up, and go home.  When we can stay overnight, hopefully from 1st June, I'll be first in the queue.

How very virtuous. But also, how lucky that you live sufficiently close to your boat to be able to make day trips. Some people have long round trip journeys that either can’t be completed in a day, or could be completed in a very long day with a lot of fatigue at the end of the drive home. How can that be better than staying overnight and driving home well rested the next day?

• Greenie 1

9 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

How very virtuous. But also, how lucky that you live sufficiently close to your boat to be able to make day trips. Some people have long round trip journeys that either can’t be completed in a day, or could be completed in a very long day with a lot of fatigue at the end of the drive home. How can that be better than staying overnight and driving home well rested the next day?

You can day trip too Nick.

Just borrow your old work vehicle - it's much faster than a transit van.

3 hours ago, BilgePump said:

It will keep spreading, just not allowed inside my home, which means I have to try harder while the idiots spread it about and don't give a damn if they give it to me.

11 hours ago, Midnight said:

Help - I'm at a loss to understand how staying overnight on a boat you can visit two days running is any more a threat than the two visits?

Possbly  less threat,,

The whole stay at home is to stop the spread of dsease due to people coming in to contact with the virus, if we all had to stay in complete isolation for three weeks that might stop the spread, but cause complete chaos, then it would  start again when somebody arrives in the UK with a fresh dose of it.

It is not possible to weigh up one particular risk against another:  the Government has to allow all or nothing, and the nothing is no overnights away from home. The Government also has to ease the restrictions in a relatively controlled manner, they cannot allow mass sporting events or suchlike at the moment, but neither can they rely on common sense, as shown by the rally in London of folks who don't give a damn for anyone but themselves and who delibrately set out to flout the Laws of the UK. Throw them in prison, let them wait there till the courts re-convene. See how many survive that inconvenience!

Edited by LadyG

10 hours ago, Ex Brummie said:

It would seem that common sense is not so common.

Indeed, but when Johnson was asked what the new catchphrase "Stay Alert" meant he said it means "Use common sense". How that relates to the fact that it's presently possible to meet your mother and your father, but only one at a time unless you work for them, does suggest a weird interpretation of common sense at a higher level.

Tam

12 hours ago, MartynG said:

What are the  legal responsibilities of a marina to ensure its customers obey the guidance during the Covid-19 restrictions?

For example people sleeping overnight on their boats  in the marina . Should the marina  ensure this is not occurring?

In many places ensuring that people do not sleep on their boats would mean ensuring that some people are made homeless. How does that help prevent the spread of covid-19? ?