Old postcard of unidentified bascule bridge

MickGooch

Featured Posts

9 minutes ago, matty40s said:

This is the pic from the other thread.

bardsey_branch8.jpg

Well that is obviously Ulverston with the Bay Horse in the background.

Th OP's picture is almost certainly from the Netherlands.

The Ulverston Bridge is over the lock, a feature that is notably lacking in the postcard! Double bascule bridges weren't that common in the UK, but were far more common in the Netherlands so I'd guess the Netherlands or possibly Flanders - it's either high tide or non-tidal, no significant water mark on the abutments

This postcard image has various items for identification. Firstly there is the boat

Bascule1.jpg

Them there are the wood guards by the bridge, and the buildings and structures either side of the waterway. Those on the left have the look of a group of kilns.

Edited by Heartland

7 hours ago, Heartland said:

This postcard image has various items for identification. Firstly there is the boat

Bascule1.jpg

Them there are the wood guards by the bridge, and the buildings and structures either side of the waterway. Those on the left have the look of a group of kilns.

Thanks - I didn't think the name of the boat was legible, but having gently cleaned with a cotton bud and looked again with a magnifying glass I believe the name on the bow is Weesp. So this would seem to definitely confirm it as being the Netherlands and perhaps point towards a general location.