Fuel sender

robbio c

Featured Posts

Evening folks I have this week fitted a new fuel sender in my diesel tank and when I powered it up it is reading backwards .The tank is empty and it's reading full so I took out sender and moved the  float manually to full and it reads empty  .it's a simple 2 wire sender and yes the sender is matched to guage  0-190 ohms. Any ideas on correcting this much appreciated .this is the sender 31sAh7ValGL._AC_SY400_.jpg.ff969cee2b2a85492c82e5e21ff4e374.jpg

They work by the level varying a resistance so whichever way round the wires are it will be the same. If you are lucky the gauge will have a little switch or setting to use a low resistance full/high empty type, or high resistance full/low empty type sender. If not you need a new sender of the correct type or a new gauge. There are also two resitance ranges in common use, one USA one European.

1 hour ago, Detling said:

They work by the level varying a resistance so whichever way round the wires are it will be the same. If you are lucky the gauge will have a little switch or setting to use a low resistance full/high empty type, or high resistance full/low empty type sender. If not you need a new sender of the correct type or a new gauge. There are also two resitance ranges in common use, one USA one European.

Is that how this types (directly) works? It doesn’t seem to be a float with a wiper moving around a rheostat type thing. The float is not mechanically connected to anything, it’s position is sensed electronically somehow. Yes this sensed position is then converted into a variable resistance to drive the gauge, but there must be some electronics in the mix somewhere.

The float is magnetic and flips a ? (forgotten the name) about every 20mm changing the total resistance.

The increase/decrease is not identical per step, but tailored to the gauge. 

From my tanks notes:

// Sensors are either:
//  European  - empty =   ~0 ohms   full = ~190 ohms
//  USA       - empty = ~230 ohms   full =  ~30 ohms

// T1 has a WEMA hi resolution sensor - USA - step ~= 10mm
// T2 has a WEMA standard      sensor - EU  - step ~= 20mm
// T3 has a WEMA standard      sensor - USA - step ~= 20mm?
Edit: Ignore above step sizes as must be overall length dependant.

Edited by system 4-50

1 hour ago, system 4-50 said:

The float is magnetic and flips a ? (forgotten the name) about every 20mm changing the total resistance.

The increase/decrease is not identical per step, but tailored to the gauge. 

From my tanks notes:

// Sensors are either:

// T1 has a WEMA hi resolution sensor - USA - step ~= 10mm
// T2 has a WEMA standard      sensor - EU  - step ~= 20mm
// T3 has a WEMA standard      sensor - USA - step ~= 20mm?
Edit: Ignore above step sizes as must be overall length dependant.

blomin eck................now I know why I use a stick!!

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

I suspect that if this is a three terminal bi-coil gauge the OP has transposed the neg. and gauge connection.

Or...

13 hours ago, system 4-50 said:

... he's got the wrong gauge for the sender.

7 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

I agree. A stick is cheaper and will work for 20 years plus.

I owned a boat with stoopid tanks that u were unable to get a stuck in it was also a pig to fill and would blow back if not careful. It had a fuel gauge and its the only boat I have ever run out of fuel with ?

Thanks for all replies swapped wires around at guage and the same outcome guess I'll have to buy a different guage but I was sure the one I had was European type .thanks again will let us know the outcome when I fit new gauge

Edited by robbio c

On 16/05/2020 at 21:30, mrsmelly said:

I owned a boat with stoopid tanks that u were unable to get a stuck in it was also a pig to fill and would blow back if not careful. It had a fuel gauge and its the only boat I have ever run out of fuel with ?

Another reason Hudsons are so sought after....

4 minutes ago, matty40s said:

Another reason Hudsons are so sought after....

In fairness it was a bloody well built boat wiv lots of steel and super woodwork..............BUT............too bloomin eavy for and old git and I much prefer our second colecraft offering.

:D still not as nice as our Horsley Quenet though, that were fab!!