Iconic Places 01

system 4-50

Featured Posts

13 hours ago, pearley said:

Having tried to drink Red Barrel and Double Diamond in my youth it me off beer until Dad introduced me to Tetley's. I know it's not very mainstream beer nowadays but still have a soft spot for it.

31 years, only beginning. 52 for us.

My first introduction to English beers, was New Zealand brewed Bass, and Watneys Red on tap on the ship out to the UK in the mid 70's.

I was not impressed, mind you the NZ local staples of Lion Brown and DB Bitter were pretty ordinary also. They were delivered to pubs by 5000gallon  road tanker! I kid you not.

The NZ and Aussi Lagers were the height of our sophistication especially served with lime cordial! 

Once in England it took me a while,  a CAMRA handbook, and many many practice pints, to appreciate the subtleties of good batch brewed craft beers. And Old Peculiar is not bad for a bottled beer either 

1 hour ago, Athy said:

I thought so when I first encountered the idea, some ten years ago; but I think the idea is that each person's portion of chips is freshly cooked, which can only be a Good Thing. Peas in a ramekin, on the other hand, there's no excuse for.

They're not actually cooked in that mini fryer. If you see one in a shop they have warning notice that they are not for cooking.

• Greenie 1

52 minutes ago, DandV said:

My first introduction to English beers, was New Zealand brewed Bass, and Watneys Red on tap on the ship out to the UK in the mid 70's.

I was not impressed, mind you the NZ local staples of Lion Brown and DB Bitter were pretty ordinary also. They were delivered to pubs by 5000gallon  road tanker! I kid you not.

The NZ and Aussi Lagers were the height of our sophistication especially served with lime cordial! 

Once in England it took me a while,  a CAMRA handbook, and many many practice pints, to appreciate the subtleties of good batch brewed craft beers. And Old Peculiar is not bad for a bottled beer either 

Time have changed,  some cracking NZ (and Oz) beers around now. Had a few bottles of Monteiths Phoenix IPA earlier, very nice :)

59 minutes ago, DandV said:

I have good memories of DB from my time in New Zealand 1981-82. From memory, it was served in jugs, so that a group of people at a table could keep topping up their glasses.

Don't knock the road tanker. At Cropredy Festival, the bar sells beer from the well thought-of independent Wadworth's brewery of Devizes. It's on handpumps - but look round the back of the bar tents and you'll see their tanker lorries.