Iconic Places 01

system 4-50

Featured Posts

There is another excellent thread of beautiful canal pictures which I can't add to because my pics are not that good, so I've created this thread with the request that lots of people share their shots of just this one place as per picture below, ideally with a boat in the pic.  Everybody but everybody has a shot of this place, surely?

IMGP4458.JPG

• Greenie 1

Yes, yours is a bit out of focus, the bridge arch looks as if I'm seeing double.

But seriously, there is nothing (that my amateur's eye can see) wrong with your most attractive photo. Don't be so modest!

11 minutes ago, Paul Evans said:

It's definitely inside the arch. No wires on it now tho'.

More information and pictures here: 

https://www.telegraphpoleappreciationsociety.org/pole-of-the-month-february-2017/

Thanks......"Pole of the month" ,  loving it.  Wish I'd known about this site at the beginning of lockdown.....

2 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

20170620_122133.jpg.ec7b9f1d4ee4f3116b9a986df31576a8.jpg

For the one in Yorkshire they were too tight to pay for the telegraph pole in the first place, but it's handier for the pub.

If tha's not that fussed about blethering t' t'other miserable buggers int' fost place, whit does tha need a bloomin' telegraph pole for...!

• Love 1

19 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

If tha's not that fussed about blethering t' t'other miserable buggers int' fost place, whit does tha need a bloomin' telegraph pole for...!

A beautiful part of the world. A long time ago I was born just up the road from Marton Bridge in a little place called Thornton-in-Craven.?

Howard

21 hours ago, MHS said:

Is that the bridge at East Marton? We had a proper pint and a great meal at the Abbot’s Harbour last year to celebrate arriving back in Yorkshire. 

A7723DD7-140F-472F-ACD4-AF3E22567680.jpeg

Chips in a mini basket. How naff!

• Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, pearley said:

I know, but a pint of Old Peculiar is always welcome. 

Growing up in North Yorkshire, I was able to sample some of the fine ales out of Masham. 

Ps, a pint of OP at lunchtime virtually guarantees an afternoon nap!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, MHS said:

I know, but a pint of Old Peculiar is always welcome. 

Growing up in North Yorkshire, I was able to sample some of the fine ales out of Masham. 

Ps, a pint of OP at lunchtime virtually guarantees an afternoon nap!

My father in law was from Bradford and would always make a bee line for OP. 

But only if mum would let him!

1 hour ago, pearley said:

My father in law was from Bradford and would always make a bee line for OP. 

But only if mum would let him!

Yes and OP helped me woo Wendy. Three halves (for her) on a NY pub crawl and now we’ve been happily married for 31 years!

3 minutes ago, MHS said:

Yes and OP helped me woo Wendy. Three halves (for her) on a NY pub crawl and now we’ve been happily married for 31 years!

Having tried to drink Red Barrel and Double Diamond in my youth it me off beer until Dad introduced me to Tetley's. I know it's not very mainstream beer nowadays but still have a soft spot for it.

31 years, only beginning. 52 for us.

Edited by pearley

4 minutes ago, pearley said:

Having tried to drink Red Barrel and Double Diamond in my youth it me off beer until Dad introduced me to Tetley's. I know it's not very mainstream beer nowadays but still have a soft spot for it.

31 years, only beginning. 52 for us.

Ah but I’m a mere stripling!

On 15/05/2020 at 16:27, system 4-50 said:

There is another excellent thread of beautiful canal pictures which I can't add to because my pics are not that good, so I've created this thread with the request that lots of people share their shots of just this one place as per picture below, ideally with a boat in the pic.  Everybody but everybody has a shot of this place, surely?

IMGP4458.JPG

Erm nope. We dont have a shot of that place! 

Nothing is safe any more. Some one has stolen the telegraph pole, along with the arch it sat on. Just goes to show that listed status means nowt.

DSCN1158.JPG.dec61f5168ce5c664b8877eb8fd00f4b.JPG

Actually another bridge on the Shroppie of the same style, but never suffered from the abutments being pushed in by pressure from the cutting walls and so never got the strengthening arch, or the pole.

Jen

16 hours ago, pearley said:

I thought so when I first encountered the idea, some ten years ago; but I think the idea is that each person's portion of chips is freshly cooked, which can only be a Good Thing. Peas in a ramekin, on the other hand, there's no excuse for.