Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Christine2261

Journeys through Manchester

Featured Posts

18 minutes ago, dmr said:

I think I've got a pair of them, somebody gave them to me during the Gosty Hill incident, you can have them next time we meet, trouble is they are so thick and clumsy you can't do a thing when you've got them on.

.............Dave

Hopefully see you soon. 
Booked to go through tunnel in  early June. 
So all being well. 

It’ll be interesting to see how the tunnel journey is done. As you know, you have to take a pilot through. 
I am guessing, and it is a guess, the pilot will be down at the bow keeping a distance and perhaps talk through baked bean cans and string. 
or will they go back to towing boats through?

We shall see 👍

As one of said Volunteers, I was asked if I would assist a solo boater in her sixties down the Ashton and the nine last August bank holiday, which is the weekend of the Pride event in Manchester. We left the top of the Ashton at10am and were tied up in Castlefield by 5:30pm. A hard working day with her steering and me setting and working all the locks solo. Also some interesting sights on Canal Street. I did manage a pint to cool off from one of the outside bars set up, although the barman was surprised when I popped up from the lock and tapped him on the back to request a drink.

If you don't have a crew go up the nine and stop at Islington basin having previously requested a volunteer for the eighteen locks up to Failsworth. Whoever turns out will give you invaluable help.

• Greenie 2

14 minutes ago, captain birdseye said:

As one of said Volunteers, I was asked if I would assist a solo boater in her sixties down the Ashton and the nine last August bank holiday, which is the weekend of the Pride event in Manchester. We left the top of the Ashton at10am and were tied up in Castlefield by 5:30pm. A hard working day with her steering and me setting and working all the locks solo. Also some interesting sights on Canal Street. I did manage a pint to cool off from one of the outside bars set up, although the barman was surprised when I popped up from the lock and tapped him on the back to request a drink.

If you don't have a crew go up the nine and stop at Islington basin having previously requested a volunteer for the eighteen locks up to Failsworth. Whoever turns out will give you invaluable help.

There’s a couple here on the HNC that are considering going down the Ashton flight when the canal is fully open. They’ve said they’d like help. How can they get in touch with volunteers? When the time comes and volunteers are at it, what’s best: should they go through the 03030 number? or can they make arrangements direct with someone such as yourself? 

You should book volunteers via the CRT number as this makes it all official and I think the volunteer hours get logged etc. Trouble is CRT rarely phone back so you don't know if the volunteer has actually been booked. If you are lucky enough to get hold of a volunteers direct phone number then its good to phone them both before and after talking to CRT. Phone before to confirm they are available and get good advice as when its best to go, they will likely know if other boats are booked in too etc.

....................Dave

I am just waiting to see if I can get a local CRT number that might work better, but yes it should be an official request. When I have been emailed with a request asking if anybody is available and I am I usually sort out meeting with the boater directly so we have contact before the day and I turn up at the right time and place and are expected

• Greenie 1
  • Happy 1

38 minutes ago, dmr said:

You should book volunteers via the CRT number as this makes it all official and I think the volunteer hours get logged etc. Trouble is CRT rarely phone back so you don't know if the volunteer has actually been booked. 

That was my experience last time I made the trip. After a delayed trip down the Ashton, stopping a little short of Piccadilly at about 10 pm, we started early next morning in order to make the possible 9.00 appointment with the volunteer, only to find there wasn't one.

But at least the Rochdale ascent was pretty much trouble free.

Edited by David Mack

44 minutes ago, David Mack said:

That was my experience last time I made the trip. After a delayed trip down the Ashton, stopping a little short of Piccadilly at about 10 pm, we started early next morning in order to make the possible 9.00 appointment with the volunteer, only to find there wasn't one.

But at least the Rochdale ascent was pretty much trouble free.

I suspect the Rochdale is very variable, when we came up in the autumn we had two weedhatch visits on the Rochdale 9, but then did New Islington to the top of Slattocks in a single day with no weedhatches. Last year I helped a boat down and we spent almost as much time in the weedhatch as boating 🙂 and the Boat and Horses to  New Islington took two days.

..............Dave

3 minutes ago, dmr said:

I suspect the Rochdale is very variable, when we came up in the autumn we had two weedhatch visits on the Rochdale 9, but then did New Islington to the top of Slattocks in a single day with no weedhatches. Last year I helped a boat down and we spent almost as much time in the weedhatch as boating 🙂 and the Boat and Horses to  New Islington took two days.

..............Dave

I caught a big carpet entering lock 2. Unfortunately I lost grip on it as I freed it from the prop. So it’s there for the next poor sod going up. 

The Ashton is a non event. As well as boating through it I cycle it on occasion. There has been much urban regeneration and kids are now tied up with their phones so the days of being fair game are behind us, 

I also take exception to the idea that there are problems in the Gay village. Yes, there are issues underneath Picaddilly station but the rest of the Rochdale 9 is uneventful

• Greenie 1

34 minutes ago, Cheshire cat said:

The Ashton is a non event. As well as boating through it I cycle it on occasion. There has been much urban regeneration and kids are now tied up with their phones so the days of being fair game are behind us, 

I also take exception to the idea that there are problems in the Gay village. Yes, there are issues underneath Picaddilly station but the rest of the Rochdale 9 is uneventful

A friend got stuck on the Ashton last year and had to spend the night in a lock, and she did have trouble. Shes the sort of person who does not get things out of perspective, but it was trouble. There are still incidents on the Rochdale 9, but then there are incidents everywhere. We have only been shot at once in 11 years and that was in a good safe place.

Manchesters canals are not too pleasant, but they are interesting, and with the usual urban canal common sense and preparation they should be ok.

Funny how everybody goes on about the Rochdale 9 when its the next bit up that is scary and difficult 🙂

..............Dave

5 minutes ago, dmr said:

We have only been shot at once in 11 years and that was in a good safe place.

That's a different definition of safe than most people use!

6 minutes ago, dmr said:

Funny how everybody goes on about the Rochdale 9 when its the next bit up that is scary and difficult

They only do that 10% of the locks on their way via the Peak Forest ...

9 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

That's a different definition of safe than most people use!

They only do that 10% of the locks on their way via the Peak Forest ...

Yeah, we have been back since and didn't get shot at again, so on the basis that "I have done that without trouble" we declared it to be safe.

Interesting that in our years of boating we have had:

Untied three times, two in central brum where its expected, once at Crooke hall near Wigan.

Untied and rope stolen,   Thrupp

Shot at (once), a nice spot on the Weaver

3 thefts, 1 in Newbury (maybe expected) 2 in Hungerford (posh genteel town on the K&A)

Water-bombed,   Banbury

Had bread thrown at us,   Ocker Hill Birmingham.

Verbal abuse and threats by cyclists, hire-boaters and other boaters not included.

................Dave