Journeys through Manchester

Featured Posts

1 minute ago, Goliath said:

So, if I got it correct, from 3.00 tomorrow there are finally no stoppages on the Rochdale Westside of the summit, other than the prebooking of locks 70something to 60 something?

Quick quick quick, get yourself up here before something else breaks.

Lock 25 in a bad way, top paddle leaking so pound above drains quickly, and can be hard to open bottom gates. Summit level fallen 18" in last two days so maybe sprung a leak.

Its a bit like a motorway here, I believe the entire Shire Cruisers fleet is out, and yesterday 5 boats went past.

....................Dave

9 minutes ago, Goliath said:

So, if I got it correct, from 3.00 tomorrow there are finally no stoppages on the Rochdale Westside of the summit, other than the prebooking of locks 70something to 60 something?

I remember 
We ignored them and walked past. ?

Yeah, I think we were looking for a pub.

Just now, dmr said:

Quick quick quick, get yourself up here before something else breaks.

Lock 25 in a bad way, top paddle leaking so pound above drains quickly, and can be hard to open bottom gates. Summit level fallen 18" in last two days so maybe sprung a leak.

Its a bit like a motorway here, I believe the entire Shire Cruisers fleet is out, and yesterday 5 boats went past.

....................Dave

5 boats!!

If it’s all working I aim to try mid August. 
And of course it depends on further lock ups or not. 

17 hours ago, David Mack said:

Went by about 11.00am, talked to the Rothenberger crew, they had moved the arris fencing, it's open now. They did put a whole new floor in. Shame I couldn't get down earlier to take pics of the new floor.

I can bring the boat down from Summit to fill up with water now. 

17 hours ago, dmr said:

We saw one man "entertaining" another man from behind, and a third man watching and "entertaining" himself. And so much "stuff" ends up in the water ?.

...............Dave

Just be careful what expletive you use in surprise. "Well, Bugger Me" isn't advised, unless you are up for it. 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, captain birdseye said:

Not usually Deansgate but under 111 Piccadilly at Lock 84 

We’re on about the same place. ?
I’m certain it is Piccadilly Lock but it’s Lock 85, not 84. Lock 84 is in the open, the last of the Rochdale 9. 
And I’m sure the tunnel approach to the lock is Deansgate Tunnel but I might be wrong.  
It was stinking last time I came through and the ground paddle had been pissed on. Horrible. 
I guess it only got worse during the lockup with less cleaning.
The area around these locks were getting a regular power wash as part of an ongoing clean up campaign. 

1 hour ago, Goliath said:

I’m certain it is Piccadilly Lock but it’s Lock 85, not 84. Lock 84 is in the open, the last of the Rochdale 9. 
And I’m sure the tunnel approach to the lock is Deansgate Tunnel but I might be wrong.  
It was stinking last time I came through and the ground paddle had been pissed on. Horrible. 
I guess it only got worse during the lockup with less cleaning.
The area around these locks were getting a regular power wash as part of an ongoing clean up campaign. 

Wasn't there some talk about locking this section of towpath at night to sort the goings on there ? 

5 minutes ago, Flyboy said:

Wasn't there some talk about locking this section of towpath at night to sort the goings on there ? 

The type of activity mentioned has been going on at that location for over 30 years, maybe 45 years. The police must be aware. But why aren't the police more proactive in dealing with the known problems there? 

16 minutes ago, Flyboy said:

Yes, gates have been put in place to stop towpath access throughout the night. With access still available for boaters. 
How effective they are I don’t know, or even if they are indeed locked. I guess the determined will work a way around them. I think there’s more drug taking that goes on in there now. 

But the ‘goings on’ take part any time of the day anyway. 

Edited by Goliath

3 hours ago, Goliath said:

If there's plenty of water running down the Rochdale, as often happens, then fast cycling the top lock of the nine washes the tunnel towpath quite well.

We have been scowled at by a couple of blokes with completely wet trousers when the towpath had just been ankle deep a minute before ...

• Greenie 1

3 hours ago, Goliath said:

Sorry I can't get used to the numbering, they always used to be known by name or 1 to 9 from the bottom of the nine up the lock in question usually known as Rodwell Tower lock as that is what the tower on top of it is called but now known as 111 Piccadilly

1 hour ago, captain birdseye said:

Sorry I can't get used to the numbering, they always used to be known by name or 1 to 9 from the bottom of the nine up the lock in question usually known as Rodwell Tower lock as that is what the tower on top of it is called but now known as 111 Piccadilly

The first time I boated up the *Rochdale 9* was in 1972 when it had just been temporarily re-opened. We were attending a rally (in the days when rallies were campaigning events rather than festivals!).  I can remember well the lock under Rodwell Tower. There were social issues under there even in those days!

8 hours ago, Jim Riley said:

Went by about 11.00am, talked to the Rothenberger crew, they had moved the arris fencing, it's open now. They did put a whole new floor in. Shame I couldn't get down earlier to take pics of the new floor.

I can bring the boat down from Summit to fill up with water now. 

If they did a whole new floor then thats an impressive rapid repair, but the Rochdale repairs do look to happen quite quickly. Any idea what they did? Surely not a brick or stone invert in that time, maybe a concrete slab???? Or maybe new timber as almost all the Rochdale locks are listed structures. Or a few bags of puddling clay ?

................Dave

2 hours ago, captain birdseye said:

I just remember that the bottom lock is 92, as in the pub name, and count back from there.

16 hours ago, dmr said:

If they did a whole new floor then thats an impressive rapid repair, but the Rochdale repairs do look to happen quite quickly. Any idea what they did? Surely not a brick or stone invert in that time, maybe a concrete slab???? Or maybe new timber as almost all the Rochdale locks are listed structures. Or a few bags of puddling clay ?

................Dave

I was impressed by the speed too, I asked whether they put a whole new floor in or just patched it, "whole new floor" he said. 

On 17/05/2020 at 12:40, captain birdseye said:

I am just waiting to see if I can get a local CRT number that might work better, but yes it should be an official request. When I have been emailed with a request asking if anybody is available and I am I usually sort out meeting with the boater directly so we have contact before the day and I turn up at the right time and place and are expected

Hi. We are planning to do the Rochdale 18 this Sunday. 2 boats 2 crew. Helping hands would be good if anyone is available. Tea and coffee supplied or even something stronger ?. Thanks 

On 23/07/2020 at 21:55, Ian Mac said:

Doing the Manchester 18 in the rain is always better.
Most of the volunteers have not yet been inducted back in this area of the NW for some reason unknow to me!
The volunteers lock keepers are expecting to be back very soon! However there are no boats!
To see if a volunteer is available use the standard CRT contact number 03030 404040 at least 24hrs before, which means at least 2 days before you want to travel.
Very few of the volunteers are available at weekends, normally none!
If a voluteer lock keeper is available, the process is that you will be contacted with the volunteers contact details, so you can organise the passage.

Just phoned CRT to book passage through the 18 on Monday, and been told that there are no volunteer helpers are available just yet, as this would involve face to face contact.

It doesn't seem too hard to me to ask that boaters and volunteers keep at least 2m apart, perhaps by the volunteers dealing with letting water down, setting locks ahead and shutting up behind, leaving the boaters to deal with actually locking through.

On 05/08/2020 at 17:11, captain birdseye said:

I have seen a few boats on the 18 this week and as they are booked passage CRT staff have been removing locks off paddle gear and helping boats through before re locking paddle gear so you should have some help

Well we made it through to New Islington, eventually. Passed a CRT chap cycling back up the towpath towards lock 65 in Failsworth, who I assumed had been unlocking the locks/paddles and was returning to his van. But then nothing more until we were stuck at 77 and I met a different CRT chap letting water down through 76.

On 01/08/2020 at 21:43, dmr said:

................Dave

A fisherman we chatted to at Lock 47 said they had replaced the failed section of the floor of 46 with new oak planking.

Edited by David Mack

6 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Well we made it through to New Islington, eventually. Passed a CRT chap cycling back up the towpath towards lock 65 in Failsworth, who I assumed had been unlocking the locks/paddles and was returning to his van. But then nothing more until we were stuck at 77 and I met a different CRT chap letting water down through 76.

A fisherman we chatted to at Lock 47 said they had replaced the failed section of the floor of 46 with new oak planking.

I had a brief chat with the crew of the work boat as it returned  from the job and they said the entire floor had been replaced, though I think they were boat movers rather than the actual floor replacers. Its sad that nobody managed to get any pictures. I'm currently moored below lock 35 and this pound usually has a good water supply even when the next pound up is well below its weir level so I do suspect that water is somehow finding its way under the lock. I do wonder if several of the wooden floor locks are going to need fixing soon, but at least it looks to be a fairly quick job.

...................Dave

On 11/08/2020 at 22:49, dmr said:

I had a brief chat with the crew of the work boat as it returned  from the job and they said the entire floor had been replaced, though I think they were boat movers rather than the actual floor replacers. Its sad that nobody managed to get any pictures. I'm currently moored below lock 35 and this pound usually has a good water supply even when the next pound up is well below its weir level so I do suspect that water is somehow finding its way under the lock. I do wonder if several of the wooden floor locks are going to need fixing soon, but at least it looks to be a fairly quick job.

...................Dave

My mooring is between 35/36. Its always gone up and down for fun, less so these days since they installed a paddle feed in one tailgate. Its only a small pound, I just top it up from the summit pound. The local staff who knew what was what, now retired with their knowledge, told me it leaks under the bed of the head gates of 35. At one time it was thought it was going through into the stream going under just before the lock. 

One of the locks going by canal Street in Manchester, I think the one with the old step up in the wall, gave me trouble with to much water over the gates, impossible to open. I realised the bywash hole was cluttered with poly bags and bottles, raising the level 9". Cleared it with the keb, gate opened. 

4 minutes ago, Jim Riley said:

My mooring is between 35/36. Its always gone up and down for fun, less so these days since they installed a paddle feed in one tailgate. Its only a small pound, I just top it up from the summit pound. The local staff who knew what was what, now retired with their knowledge, told me it leaks under the bed of the head gates of 35. At one time it was thought it was going through into the stream going under just before the lock. 

One of the locks going by canal Street in Manchester, I think the one with the old step up in the wall, gave me trouble with to much water over the gates, impossible to open. I realised the bywash hole was cluttered with poly bags and bottles, raising the level 9". Cleared it with the keb, gate opened. 

I've been moored below 35 for ages now, I feel like a continuous moorer, but Oldham and Calder Valley are both in semi-lockdown so I don't feel too guilty about it.

I still can't work out exactly where the water comes from and goes to, we need a beer and a chat ?. Some does go into the stream (the infant Walsden Water?) via leaks in the little aqueduct, but there is certainly a big flow either under or round lock 35. I can't see any real signs of it but if its right under the lock I suppose there would be no evidence on the water surface. Lock 34 does odd stuff too, it can leak heavily if the top gates don't mitre, it can drain the pound in a few hours, but I can't see any sign of how it gets past the bottom gates so again I suspect its going through the lock floor.

There is a new valve controlled bywash at 36 (Longlees) but CRT hardly ever turn it on.

11 years full time on the cut and I still find locks and water flow fascinating.

It's like a motorway here, 6 boats went through one day, and this afternoon there were three boats moored in your pound.

Them locks on the Rochdale  9 can be hard work, if there is water going over the top I am not strong enough to open the gates.

.................Dave