'spat' forum

Featured Posts

The problem with ignoring political threads is that threads outside the politics section can and do degenerate into politics. I have been guilty of that ONCE and I had a mod on my back for it. My post was hidden and even though I received an apology my post was not reinstated. It would seem that the "clique" on here can get away with things that us "mere mortals" cannot. Mere mortals get a rap over the knuckles like little schoolboys. Perhaps if the moderation was a bit fairer and a bit more, seemingly, unbiased then things would be a lot better. Unfortunately the moderation of this forum, and others, has always been an issue. In fairness to the mods, whilst they may be able to please some they will not please others. It is a thankless task which is why I wouldn't contemplate taking it on. I don't post much on this forum (or any other for that matter.) That is partly because MOST of the stuff I do I am able to do, although my way might not agree with someone else's way, but the other reason, and this is the biggy, is that if I ask a daft question, and I do occasionally, inevitably the respondent tends to get narky or even agressive. I have had that happen to me on more than one occasion even by someone who should have known better. I know I am banging on about this and people are, probably, getting fed up but I do feel aggrieved at my treatment whilst others are left alone to voice whatever opinions they feel like in or out of the politics section.

5 minutes ago, pete.i said:

. It would seem that the "clique" on here can get away with things that us "mere mortals" cannot. 

You must have a short memory. Surely it was only yesterday that I made it clear to you that there was no "clique" on CWDF?

As you have evidently forgotten, I'll make it clear again: there is no "clique" on CWDF. All posts, which as far as I'm aware are made exclusively by mortals, are treated fairly on their merits.

On 15/05/2020 at 15:04, zenataomm said:

A forum is like a virtual conversation in the pub.

They wander around a bit and get waylaid according to who else is listening.

I doubt you would be so dictatorial down the snug of the Red Oak because someone interjected.

Take the rough with the smooth, just because you think others' comments aren't relative or off topic it doesn't mean that's how they are to others, nor does it preclude their being a raw diamond or a nugget of value stashed away in it.

It should take  28" easily and improves the exhaust note when she's wound on.

How dare you go off topic !! :) :)

PS

29" not 28"

Wound with a key not windlass

(Rant over)

:)

4 hours ago, pete.i said:

The problem with ignoring political threads is that threads outside the politics section can and do degenerate into politics. I have been guilty of that ONCE and I had a mod on my back for it. My post was hidden and even though I received an apology my post was not reinstated. It would seem that the "clique" on here can get away with things that us "mere mortals" cannot. Mere mortals get a rap over the knuckles like little schoolboys. Perhaps if the moderation was a bit fairer and a bit more, seemingly, unbiased then things would be a lot better. Unfortunately the moderation of this forum, and others, has always been an issue. In fairness to the mods, whilst they may be able to please some they will not please others. It is a thankless task which is why I wouldn't contemplate taking it on. I don't post much on this forum (or any other for that matter.) That is partly because MOST of the stuff I do I am able to do, although my way might not agree with someone else's way, but the other reason, and this is the biggy, is that if I ask a daft question, and I do occasionally, inevitably the respondent tends to get narky or even agressive. I have had that happen to me on more than one occasion even by someone who should have known better. I know I am banging on about this and people are, probably, getting fed up but I do feel aggrieved at my treatment whilst others are left alone to voice whatever opinions they feel like in or out of the politics section.

I have asked stupid questions, usually got a mix of good and useless answers... I just ignore the ones that I dont find useful.... I have never observed moderator athy to be biased, 

you should not throw allegations like this willy nilly, being a moderator is a thankless job and they are human too, prone to biases and mistakes. 

Edited by Athy
To remove personal insult.
  • Greenie 1

6 hours ago, Dr Bob said:

I think the forum works very well. Ignore the political threads. For the others, keeping on topic is up to the OP. I've started a number of technical threads...'how do I fix...' etc and if you want an answer you spend time on the thread discussing it until you have the answer. If you disappear for 24hrs then you've no complaint if it goes off thread. If on the other hand you are just a 'viewer' then if its important to you to find the technical answer then jump in and steer the thread back to where you want to be. Too many threads are 'repeats' so there are not that many peeps wanting the answer.

The lithium thread referred to above is slightly different in that it is breaking new ground so always returns to the original topic.

Give it time... ?

1 hour ago, Stilllearning said:

And Finchley Central is 2/6d from Golders Green on the Northern Line? (1967 ref)

New Vaudeville Band IIRC. ?

Edited by cuthound
To add spaces between merged posts
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, tree monkey said:

Not before we have a thread deciding on which rules we use

I think you mean which rules are used by some, and which rules are used by others, don't you?

As we have seen over the past few days, in the big wide world, rules can apply differently to different people. 

• Greenie 1

14 minutes ago, Richard10002 said:

I think you mean which rules are used by some, and which rules are used by others, don't you?

As we have seen over the past few days, in the big wide world, rules can apply differently to different people. 

I think we are talking on cross purposes here, which version of the Mornington Crescent rules, not some two bit politics nonsense, this is a serious business and shouldn't be taken lightly 

4 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

I think we are talking on cross purposes here, which version of the Mornington Crescent rules, not some two bit politics nonsense, this is a serious business and shouldn't be taken lightly 

I prefer Mornington Croissant, played usually over breakfast.

You may or may not like these pages:

https://kevan.org/morningtonia.pl

http://www.dunx.org/white-rose/mc_em.html

2 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

I prefer Mornington Croissant, played usually over breakfast.

You may or may not like these pages:

https://kevan.org/morningtonia.pl

http://www.dunx.org/white-rose/mc_em.html

Do you know what, reading that reminds me of the friendly debate over the BCN rules and route planning 

• Happy 1

I'm sorry if I've caused a spat, (although it would be closer to being "on topic" than the Mornington Crescent stuff) .... looks like there are two threads running at once, and I'm in the wrong one :( 

• Greenie 1

26 minutes ago, Richard10002 said:

I'm sorry if I've caused a spat, (although it would be closer to being "on topic" than the Mornington Crescent stuff) .... looks like there are two threads running at once, and I'm in the wrong one :( 

:)

just a bit of light hearted nonsense, let's be honest the forum needs it, theres millions and millions of politics threads right now and only one talking Mornington Crescent 

• Love 1
  • Happy 1

1 minute ago, Machpoint005 said:

"Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing." (John Stuart Mill)

Yes I do agree absolutely,  100% you are right but I see that my appreciation of Mornington Crescent has been mistaken for not actually caring about the shit storm that is current politics, it was just a flippant remark, not meant to be taken seriously, I was hoping to make at least someone smile.

Ok I promise to be deadly serious from now on and endlessly point out any attempt at humor,  successful or not, as a failure to take the current world situation seriously enough.

3 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

Yes I do agree absolutely,  100% you are right but I see that my appreciation of Mornington Crescent has been mistaken for not actually caring about the shit storm that is current politics, it was just a flippant remark, not meant to be taken seriously, I was hoping to make at least someone smile.

Ok I promise to be deadly serious from now on and endlessly point out any attempt at humor,  successful or not, as a failure to take the current world situation seriously enough.

Nooooooo!!!!

The world as I know it will be a worthless wasteland if you do that!!!

We need Monkey humour ❤️❤️?

Edited by Ange
Twould be a ficked up world without. btw I've never got my head round Mornington Crescent, that's Dave's department as the R4 listener

7 minutes ago, Ange said:

Nooooooo!!!!

The world as I know it will be a worthless wasteland if you do that!!!

We need Monkey humour ❤️❤️?

Why thank you but I think you are slightly over egging the pudding a smidge :)

Just now, tree monkey said:

Why thank you but I think you are slightly over egging the pudding a smidge :)

What me - nooooooo. I'm the perfect example of under statement ?

• Greenie 1

30 minutes ago, Ange said:

Prolly time I had a nap now, just realized people are talking to me because it's Tuesday now ???

At least you know what day it is. I just had a phone conversation with the president of our local old folks social and cards club, telling me that the club will be beginning again ‘next wednesday’. So I said great, see you on June 3rd, and he said no, the day after tomorrow, 27th, Wednesday. I said tomorrow is Wednesday and he said oh, yes, it is Tuesday isn’t it.

Lockdown/confinement really has gone on a long time here. (A week more than where you are).

• Happy 1

If that's me..... I thought I was making an equally flippant remark, and did not mean to criticise your appreciation of Mornington Crescent.

I was tempted to merely post "Mornington Crescent", but thought someone would quote Rule 3 :( 

14 minutes ago, Richard10002 said:

If that's me..... I thought I was making an equally flippant remark, and did not mean to criticise your appreciation of Mornington Crescent.

I was tempted to merely post "Mornington Crescent", but thought someone would quote Rule 3 :( 

Nope and nothing to apologise for.

Well maybe for your reckless attempt to use rule 3