'spat' forum

Featured Posts

A forum is like a virtual conversation in the pub.

They wander around a bit and get waylaid according to who else is listening.

I doubt you would be so dictatorial down the snug of the Red Oak because someone interjected.

Take the rough with the smooth, just because you think others' comments aren't relative or off topic it doesn't mean that's how they are to others, nor does it preclude their being a raw diamond or a nugget of value stashed away in it.

3 minutes ago, matty40s said:

1943 Hardy and Willis semi diesel with supercharged flaggelators , swinging a 26" axiom prop, stops like an old fart.

It should take  28" easily and improves the exhaust note when she's wound on.

• Greenie 4

3 minutes ago, zenataomm said:

A forum is like a virtual conversation in the pub.

They wander around a bit and get waylaid according to who else is listening.

I doubt you would be so dictatorial down the snug of the Red Oak because someone interjected.

In a pub (remember those?!) they'd have taken it outside I suspect so everyone else can carry on whilst listening to them fight... :)

Edited by robtheplod

34 minutes ago, Kudzucraft said:

While I sort of like the idea, there wouldn't be anything outside of it I suspect.  I have found that after about 10 or so replies nearly all go off the rails so I just stop reading it.

Except for https://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?/topic/103604-cheap-lifepo4-bms/ which has been going six months and forty odd posts and is still interesting and informative (even though I have neither boat nor Lithium's)

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, matty40s said:

1943 Hardy and Willis semi diesel with supercharged flaggelators , swinging a 26" axiom prop, stops like an old fart.

Is that the sky blue pink model with the reciprocating waffle sprocket fitted as standard?

3 hours ago, robtheplod said:

Would it be possible to have a forum where if people take over a thread with gripes at each other they can move onto?  It's getting difficult to get info as I subscribe to lots of useful threads, or started off useful but they degenerated into 'mines bigger than yours' threads and I don't really want to get notifications about when they post their next rant?

I love these forums to bits as they are so useful but some conversations at the moment are of no interest to anyone other than those having a go at each other, losing the thread entirely?

Hope that makes sense??

failing that can mods lock threads that go waaaay off topic?

Whilst the political threads will almost invariably develop into 'spats', the solution is not to go there. The 'spats' I find a bit more irritating are those that often develop when some newby is asking for some simple advice on a subject and then is taken to task for not knowing more technical stuff. As a hypothetical example, someone with little knowledge on the subject may ask for advice regarding their batteries, it wont be too long before someone starts telling them to get a multimeter/clamp meter and get to know their 'tail current'. I have none of this equipment and wouldn't know a tail current if I tripped over one and fell in the cut, but have managed to get by perfectly adequately for the past few years, enjoying my ignorance on the subject. For some people it is obviously a fascinating subject, but not for those asking for simple advice.

• Greenie 2

3 hours ago, matty40s said:

What happened to Freeman?? (F-H-W)

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, rustynewbery said:

Nope, it's got a knurled sprocket flange with contra-rotating balance weights

This is the problem when people speak with great authority on subjects they know nothing about.

Everybody knows the knurled sprocket flange wasn’t introduced until ‘45.

(apologies to rustynewbery - no offence meant!

14 minutes ago, OldGoat said:

What happened to Freeman?? (F-H-W)

8 minutes ago, dor said:

This is the problem when people speak with great authority on subjects they know nothing about.

Everybody knows the knurled sprocket flange wasn’t introduced until ‘45.

(apologies to rustynewbery - no offence meant!

You cant stick an engine like that on a Freeman silly. It would put the back end through the pointy bit.

• Greenie 1

5 hours ago, robtheplod said:

Would it be possible to have a forum where if people take over a thread with gripes at each other they can move onto?  It's getting difficult to get info as I subscribe to lots of useful threads, or started off useful but they degenerated into 'mines bigger than yours' threads and I don't really want to get notifications about when they post their next rant?

I love these forums to bits as they are so useful but some conversations at the moment are of no interest to anyone other than those having a go at each other, losing the thread entirely?

Hope that makes sense??

Hey Rob... I'm a fan of your YouTube!  As for the forum I'm afraid I'm with those commentors who say it's the nature of the beast.   Sadly I have to spend a lot of time on internet forums due to my work and they are all the same... the local fauna/experts who have been around since forever mostly post for the social aspect having long since lost any interest in the actual topic ;)  That said, these same characters will fall over each other to help someone in genuine need.  If you want to debate a topic you're probably better off picking someone with the knowledge you want and sending them a PM. 

6 hours ago, robtheplod said:

In a pub (remember those?!) they'd have taken it outside I suspect so everyone else can carry on whilst listening to them fight... :)

After over 10 years as a publican, I can't say I remember two punters taking their problem outside to fight.

The major difference between face to face communication and a forum is the latter is restricted to the written word while the former includes body language and tone of voice. 

You may well be infusing the flavours like ranting and having a go in what you read because you can't balance it without non verbal or expression.

Don't forget The Hardy and Willis semi diesel isn't direct reverse.

On 15/05/2020 at 22:45, The Happy Nomad said:

This ought to be compulsory reading for all the pundits and "experts" who inhabit this forum! However, I don't hold out much hope that it would change anything - rather I suspect we would end up eventually with yet another circular discussion  about the merits of the points it makes!  ?

Howard

On 15/05/2020 at 14:42, robtheplod said:

Hope that makes sense??

The Political and News bit serves that function admirably.

perhaps we could vote people off the forum, two days for swearing, ten days for anything else, that would relieve Moderators! everyone gets one vote per annum.

Obviously this might get rid of people I don't think are nice people :)

Mods do lock threads that are going down in to a black hole, if they blatently contravene Ts&cs, but if it were not for "off topic" would we hear about Pallet World? 

Edited by LadyG

On 17/05/2020 at 15:21, LadyG said:

The Political and News bit serves that function admirably.

perhaps we could vote people off the forum, two days for swearing, ten days for anything else, that would relieve Moderators! everyone gets one vote per annum.

Obviously this might get rid of people I don't think are nice people :)

Mods do lock threads that are going down in to a black hole, if they blatently contravene Ts&cs, but if it were not for "off topic" would we hear about Pallet World? 

be careful what you wish for... ?

• Greenie 1

11 minutes ago, mark99 said:

I claim Mornington Crescent.

I am sorry but that was an illegal move.

You completely failed to enter Nidd prior to the obvious U turn and as such by the 1967 taylor revision, sub section 236, para 42 you should never claim mornington crescent at that stage of play.

Unless playing by the completely updated 1978 American rules but let's be frank no proper gentleman ever does, but even then you should claim Kings Cross first.

Edited by tree monkey
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, buccaneer66 said:

Perhaps he meant Finchley Central

Only if he was already in Nidd and playing by the 97 update following the reverse play ruling.

Of course he could just be playing the 2003 simplified edition where it did state on page 3,476, subsection 12, para 9 that it can be called as a "sledging" tactic but it is generally frowned upon

Edited by tree monkey

On 15/05/2020 at 14:42, robtheplod said:

Hope that makes sense??

I think the forum works very well. Ignore the political threads. For the others, keeping on topic is up to the OP. I've started a number of technical threads...'how do I fix...' etc and if you want an answer you spend time on the thread discussing it until you have the answer. If you disappear for 24hrs then you've no complaint if it goes off thread. If on the other hand you are just a 'viewer' then if its important to you to find the technical answer then jump in and steer the thread back to where you want to be. Too many threads are 'repeats' so there are not that many peeps wanting the answer.

The lithium thread referred to above is slightly different in that it is breaking new ground so always returns to the original topic.