Looking for a short historic boat

Movin' on

Featured Posts

Just in case towpath gossip takes this off anyones radar yes we have bought a river boat while we continue to look for the right historic boat - she will be kept on the river Severn at Stourport and will provide a nice locally based change and it will be good to have a bit more room to lay on the floor trying to work on fittings etc.

She needs TLC but that is OK and was reflected in the price.......... its strange to have relied entirely on photos and phone conversations not seen her or had a survey - new BSSC commissioned by me and he said she looks good and great vfm - time will tell.......

20200602_154302 2.JPG

Edited by Halsey

1 hour ago, Halsey said:

Just in case towpath gossip takes this off anyones radar yes we have bought a river boat while we continue to look for the right historic boat - she will be kept on the river Severn at Stourport and will provide a nice locally based change and it will be good to have a bit more room to lay on the floor trying to work on fittings etc.

She needs TLC but that is OK and was reflected in the price.......... its strange to have relied entirely on photos and phone conversations not seen her or had a survey - new BSSC commissioned by me and he said she looks good and great vfm - time will tell.......

20200602_154302 2.JPG

Always fancied something like that

• Greenie 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update to say we are no longer looking - Zulu is now sold and gone and we have decided that after 50 years for me and 30 for Lynne its time to say goodbye to long term canal cruising in favour of days out/weekends on our local rivers - less hassle, less crime and less antisocial behaviour - sadly our experiences last year have finally made us turn the corner.

Its been a great journey with loads of fantastic memories and good friendships made but its time to go off and do other things......................

• Greenie 1

Hardy made some really nice little cruisers.

They were trend setters with that rope around the hull. Virtually every day boat on the Thames has those ropes now, the sign of an expensive boat. 

Edited by magnetman
  • Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Halsey said:

Just an update to say we are no longer looking - Zulu is now sold and gone and we have decided that after 50 years for me and 30 for Lynne its time to say goodbye to long term canal cruising in favour of days out/weekends on our local rivers - less hassle, less crime and less antisocial behaviour - sadly our experiences last year have finally made us turn the corner.

Its been a great journey with loads of fantastic memories and good friendships made but its time to go off and do other things......................

We saw her sold I think. Tied up at Buckby  opposite this pm saw people looking.

Good luck in new venture.

• Happy 1

1 hour ago, Halsey said:

We saw her sold I think. Tied up at Buckby  opposite this pm saw people looking.

Good luck in new venture.

I can only be thankful that you never bought Resolute, I doubt she’d have been with you for long. Hope the rest of your occasional boating journey goes well, we still enjoy occasional trips with friends, though modern practices and ethics are not to my taste in the main.

• Greenie 2

19 minutes ago, dave moore said:

I can only be thankful that you never bought Resolute, I doubt she’d have been with you for long. Hope the rest of your occasional boating journey goes well, we still enjoy occasional trips with friends, though modern practices and ethics are not to my taste in the main.

Me too - in truth we were waivering about the future even then - her new owner doesn't travel very far but I understand she is his pride and joy and she looks well on it.

Agree re the "modern world" but then we were all young once ?

Edited by Halsey

3 hours ago, magnetman said:

Hardy made some really nice little cruisers.

They were trend setters with that rope around the hull. Virtually every day boat on the Thames has those ropes now, the sign of an expensive boat. 

I always fancied one of them

8 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

I always fancied one of them

WE have always liked them too and now we've got her I'm very pleased and very impressed with the build quality - she weighs 4 tons which for 25 ft of GRP is surprising - but then she is built to go anywhere - Irish Sea, Channel etc.

Hopefully it will be a nice way to slow down and get the enjoyment back without anything like the same level  of financial commitment.

J