Concerning the Luck of a Gravy Boater

Featured Posts

13 hours ago, Bee said:

As a grumpy old boater who is deeply suspicious of things with wires, digital anything and 'systems' I would always keep things simple. Gas is simple and relatively cheap. Its not hard to keep a couple of lead acid batts charged with solar and engine (usually!) and there's enough important things to fix on a boat without adding a whole world of grief trying to prove its possible to make toast with a toaster. (Anyway toasters are rubbish, straw coloured toast after 10 minutes toasting - proper toast is black with a soft middle)  Sorry, will be more positive after I've walked the dog.

Walking the dog can be good for the spirit, but today she found and ate a dead thing (lurchers like chasing dead things, 100% catch rate) puked the whole lot up (and more besides) and now lying on the sofa gently moaning.

Suspect will be up at about 3am for a messy crap (dog not me)

.................Dave

• Horror 1

20 hours ago, dmr said:

Walking the dog can be good for the spirit, but today she found and ate a dead thing (lurchers like chasing dead things, 100% catch rate) puked the whole lot up (and more besides) and now lying on the sofa gently moaning.

Suspect will be up at about 3am for a messy crap (dog not me)

.................Dave

And despite this they still manage to leave pawprints all over our hearts ?

• Greenie 2

31 minutes ago, cuthound said:

And despite this they still manage to leave pawprints all over our hearts ?

Yup, shes a very big part of the team. We held out for 7 years but she has now got to share the bed, and a backcabin is a small bed to share with a deerhound cross.

She's getting on a bit and we are starting to worry about how we will cope when she goes, much of life centres on keeping the dog happy, but we enjoy the big walks too.

............Dave

39 minutes ago, dmr said:

Yup, shes a very big part of the team. We held out for 7 years but she has now got to share the bed, and a backcabin is a small bed to share with a deerhound cross.

She's getting on a bit and we are starting to worry about how we will cope when she goes, much of life centres on keeping the dog happy, but we enjoy the big walks too.

............Dave

When we lost Buster, the dog in my Avatar, we decided to get another rescue dog as soon as possible.

6 weeks later we got Zeus, then a 14 month old rescue GSD. He is my 5th dog, and third rescue dog. In July we will have had him for 5 very challenging years.

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, cuthound said:

When we lost Buster, the dog in my Avatar, we decided to get another rescue dog as soon as possible.

6 weeks later we got Zeus, then a 14 month old rescue GSD. He is my 5th dog, and third rescue dog. In July we will have had him for 5 very challenging years.

With hindsight we where amazingly fortunate with Sophie, she was born in the rescue so we had the clear consciense of taking a rescue with the bonus of having a puppy. She was very very hard work, lurchers are not easy to train, and the deerhound adds a whole new level of stubborn defiance , but we got there. Having a dog that can run off the lead on the towpath and come back reliably when called makes walking so much more fun. I would be concerned about taking on a rescue adult sighthound, we are veggie so a load of dead sheep are no good to us ?  but then we are both mid 60's and a dog can be a 15 year plus project so an older dog would be sensible. Ive always fancied a Wolfhound, they only live for about 6 years but it probably takes that long to get them trained.

................Dave

1 hour ago, dmr said:

............Dave

So true, I have had 3 dogs and been through that

On 15/05/2020 at 20:17, dmr said:

............Dave

In the motorhome when we go out my missus has to sleep in the over cabin double as the dog takes so much room up in the dinette double with me there is no room for the wife ?

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

In the motorhome when we go out my missus has to sleep in the over cabin double as the dog takes so much room up in the dinette double with me there is no room for the wife ?

Cancel all the good things I said about the bloody dog, she's a liability. She went of chasing a hare yesterday and pulled a tendon half off the bone. Now she can't go out for at least 6 weeks, here we are in the Yorkshire Hills with a dog that can't go for a walk. And at night I have to carry her into our bed.

...............Dave

• Haha 3

18 hours ago, The Gravy Boater said:

Boat acquired and first night aboard.  One of my boxes exploded carrying it to the boat so I have contributed three tins of Napolina Red Kidney Beans to the next magnet fisher.

You've just learnt one of the first, important lessons: you will drop things. They will go into the water.

If a boater has an expensive wrench, you won't see them using that on deck. Maybe in the engine bay. Or they'll tie some floating string to it. Knives . . . they are disposable (a yacht delivery guy I met said that serrated veg knives are the best thing for cutting rope. So cheap you don't hesitate to use, they cut well and only cost £2 each).

• Greenie 1