Mooring on Welshpool stretch of Monty

Philip

Featured Posts

Canal and River Trust don't list any mooring sites on the Welshpool length of the Montgomery Canal. I'm considering 'what to do' with my cruiser if I decide to buy a narrowboat and one thing I've thought of is to have it transported to this stretch of waterway via the slipway, as a way to cruise this stretch of canal again while my current insurance and license are valid (not long since renewed).

Does anyone know about permanent moorings along here, what the arrangement is etc?

Edited by Philip

There are moorings in the centre of Welshpool, but as far as I could see these are only Visitor ones and I certainly wouldn't leave a boat there for long as they are totally open. There is certainly nothing between there and Berriew. Not sure about the north side of Welshpool but I've never seen anything moored permanently. 
I wonder whether permanent mooring is not allowed; why not ring the relevant office and ask them?

Thanks. I wondered if there were any towards Berriew, but truthfully finding excuses to keep hold of it. It uses raw water cooling for the engine so that stretch probably isn't the best!

Would like to do this again though, though looks like being in a kayak unless a new slipway is built to take boats longer than 27ft.

Used to be a couple of boats moored next to the Powysland Museum in Welshpool. They were "business"moorings,but have not had a boat on them for some time. The Heulwen boats are moored at Buttington,but I dont think private boats can use their mooring.