Can we cruise or not?

canalboat

Featured Posts

8 hours ago, DHutch said:

Surely the missing thing here is that kayaking is exercise, they are propelled by your physical exertions, unlike a powered narrowboat.

Also as said, the primary risk for virus transmission when boating is contact with shared surfaces such as at locks and services. Kayaks with typically either boat between locks, or pull out to get around them. 

We are currently in lockdown, all none essential travel is as far as I am aware still prohibited. The only changes as of this Sunday evening was that 1) you are now allowed to exercise more than once per day 2) you are allowed to drive in order to exercise 3) going into work if you can't work from home and can do so safely is now encouraged rather than simply allowed. 

Daniel

In a nutshell Dan, thats how most people with,  as the PM put it " Common sense " see it. Rocket science it isnt.

• Greenie 3

9 hours ago, DHutch said:

Surely the missing thing here is that kayaking is exercise, they are propelled by your physical exertions, unlike a powered narrowboat.

Also as said, the primary risk for virus transmission when boating is contact with shared surfaces such as at locks and services. Kayaks with typically either boat between locks, or pull out to get around them. 

We are currently in lockdown, all none essential travel is as far as I am aware still prohibited. The only changes as of this Sunday evening was that 1) you are now allowed to exercise more than once per day 2) you are allowed to drive in order to exercise 3) going into work if you can't work from home and can do so safely is now encouraged rather than simply allowed. 

Daniel

Talking for England only I think you are missing a few things there.

As well as exercise you can now go sit/sunbath in a park/beach.  You can drive unlimited distance, so for example you could drive to the Peak District and go hiking, or to Devon and sit on a beach.

Pastimes like angling are allowed, and golf and tennis can be played, within the general bounds of social distancing and being with members of your household or one on one with someone from another household.

The housing market can now operate, estate agents, viewings, show homes, removal companies.

From where we were these are big changes.

9 hours ago, DHutch said:

Daniel

These are the government guidelines, clearly states privately owned motorized craft are allowed to be used.

Screenshot_20200513-081146_Chrome.jpg

26 minutes ago, Rickent said:

These are the government guidelines, clearly states privately owned motorized craft are allowed to be used.

That is new info this morning though, and it subject to navigation authority, and given the statement on second homes I can see that being relevant.  As I said on the confusingly similar thread, we have to wait for CRT’s interpretation.

9 minutes ago, john6767 said:

That is new info this morning though, and it subject to navigation authority, and given the statement on second homes I can see that being relevant.  As I said on the confusingly similar thread, we have to wait for CRT’s interpretation.

That is my take as the guidance states subject to navigation authority so for CRT waters it is up to them. For us on the Gloucester Sharpness I expect bridge keepers are probably furloughed so they would need to bring them back to work first.

4 minutes ago, canalboat said:

Next question then:

What is the difference between a privately owned motorized craft and a narrowboat?

A narrowboat IS a privately owned motorized craft.

34 minutes ago, Rickent said:

A narrowboat IS a privately owned motorized craft.

And if you stay on it overnight it becomes a second home.

So it's day trips only once the NA says its OK

3 minutes ago, Loddon said:

And if you stay on it overnight it becomes a second home.

So it's day trips only once the NA says its OK

Absolutely, but that wasn't the question asked.

16 hours ago, Sir Nibble said:

It's getting on for"high season". It's not unusual to have more than one boat's crew at the lockside, boats held on the centre line by persons standing on the towpath waiting for the lock. Dozens of hands on lock beams and handrails every hour. Gongoozlers you are distancing from until you leave the paddle gear then you aren't. Bollards used by a constant flow of people. As soon as navigation is permitted there will be a lot of it, so I would say it would be a socially irresponsible thing to do to interact with any of the infrastructure at all except where essential, ie water or pumpout.

It is accepted that the risk of transmission from outside surfaces is quite low. Some increased personal hygiene (gloves/extra hand washing) would be all that is required to mitigate the small risk from touching lock infrastructure. Ropes and locks were unhygenic before covid19. Canals would still be pretty quiet as the hire boat industry would not start and many people would choose to stay away.

14 hours ago, Loddon said:

No you go in as someone leaves, that's not illegal.........

Launch dinghy from towpath, row into marina, board your boat leave with your boat and dinghy.

Also not illegal.

Other means are available ;)

Does of course assume that the mooring has residential planning permission . . . 

Interesting to watch how many marinas announce that they are closed to all but liveaboards when they have no PP moorings.

Wonder if the LA will come knocking when this is all over!

44 minutes ago, Dave123 said:

It is accepted that the risk of transmission from outside surfaces is quite low. Some increased personal hygiene (gloves/extra hand washing) would be all that is required to mitigate the small risk from touching lock infrastructure. Ropes and locks were unhygenic before covid19. Canals would still be pretty quiet as the hire boat industry would not start and many people would choose to stay away.

"Many would choose to stay away."

Really? If you take this forum as a sample of boaters I would say that people are champing at the bit to get back aboard. I am certain that if boating were suddenly allowed it would be like a bank holiday weekend out there. Who accepts that the risk of transmission from outside surfaces is quite low? Surfaces that have been touched on a handrail for instance are going to be touched again immediately after. It's not enough to look for ways to make it possible however much we may wish it to be so, it's about making a rational common sense judgement of whether it's SAFE. You have to make that judgement on the basis of hundreds of people, and let's be honest, a lot of people are not taking the virus seriously or taking any precautions at all, not on the basis of one boat's crew using an otherwise deserted waterway. 

• Greenie 2

1 hour ago, Mike Todd said:

Does of course assume that the mooring has residential planning permission . . . 

Interesting to watch how many marinas announce that they are closed to all but liveaboards when they have no PP moorings.

Wonder if the LA will come knocking when this is all over!

Surely Marinas that said this were referring to live aboard boats that had taken refuge temporary mooring during the crisis. ?

• Greenie 1

32 minutes ago, Sir Nibble said:

Really? If you take this forum as a sample of boaters I would say that people are champing at the bit to get back aboard. I am certain that if boating were suddenly allowed it would be like a bank holiday weekend out there. Who accepts that the risk of transmission from outside surfaces is quite low? Surfaces that have been touched on a handrail for instance are going to be touched again immediately after. It's not enough to look for ways to make it possible however much we may wish it to be so, it's about making a rational common sense judgement of whether it's SAFE. You have to make that judgement on the basis of hundreds of people, and let's be honest, a lot of people are not taking the virus seriously or taking any precautions at all, not on the basis of one boat's crew using an otherwise deserted waterway. 

There's going to be a stampede. Best to continue to treat everyone and everything as a biological disaster area - methinks. 

Edited by Higgs
  • Greenie 2

45 minutes ago, Higgs said:

There's going to be a stampede. Best to continue to treat everyone and everything as a biological disaster area - methinks. 

I don't know about a stampede (more like a steady flow) but I'm leaving it a few days more before visiting the boat.

So, the waterways will re-open fully, except that leisure boaters won't be able to use them fully, as they still should not sleep on board. That appears to be a contradiction of terms.

1 hour ago, Sir Nibble said:

Really? 

I think so, yes. "Champing at the bit" we may be, but I think we'll wait until the risk of contracting the bug has further diminished before we go and see Trojan - which in any case won't be until overnight stays are allowed, as she is 97 miles from us, and we certainly wouldn't want to make a 194-mile round trip in a day.

Latest update, enjoy your day out!

Coronavirus & boating update, 13 May 2020

When we were in touch yesterday we said that, along with other navigation authorities, we would review when navigation might re-open in light of the new Government advice. Government have issued clarification this morning, 13 May.

We are now able to set out our approach to opening our navigation to private boating in England. Please remember that social distancing continues to be maintained, with only members of your household able to go aboard your boat until further notice.

From today, Weds 13 May 2020
You may undertake short boating trips only from today – avoiding use of locks and any staff-operated structures if possible – providing, as per current government guidance, you do not stay away from home overnight and return to your home mooring (where you have one).

From Saturday, 23 May:
Mooring exemptions will come to an end and our guidance for continuous cruisers comes back in to force. This doesn’t mean that every boat without a home mooring needs to move on this day, just that we’d expect you to move off your current mooring within 14 days (i.e. by 6 June).  If you are in a high-risk group, and need to continue to shield or self-isolate, then special arrangements can be agreed with your licence support officer if you haven’t already told us.

From Monday, 1 June:
On this date, we anticipate that our navigations will re-open in full, subject to some exceptions*, and you will be able to undertake longer journeys.
According to current Government guidance, those who do not liveaboard should not stay overnight. We will seek further clarification as to whether overnight stays will be permissible once full navigation resumes.

*Please bear in mind that it will take time to get the entire network fully operational, and booking for some passages and services will be required. Some sections may be closed for a further period. Our website will be updated with the details closer to the time.

Wales: If you or your boat is on a Welsh canal please follow the latest advice which may be different from above.

Please stay safe and stay alert at all times.

Damian Kemp,
Boating communications manager,
Canal & River Trust

Edited by Dave123

Got my email as shown in Dave123's post above at 10:37.

Had two boats that I know moor at the two local marinas (both about 20 minutes cruise away in opposite directions) pass each other outside my house at 11:00.

I reckon they must have had a tip off from someone in CRT that they were relaxing the restrictions from today! ???

Lots of boats moving by yesterday and today, certainly not local liveaboards in the main.

The ludicrous thought of all our marina kayak owners setting off en mass to Gayton because the narrowboats arent allowed was too much for CRT.

20200513_131937.jpg

3 hours ago, Nightwatch said:

Surely Marinas that said this were referring to live aboard boats that had taken refuge temporary mooring during the crisis. ?

Of course . . . 

2 hours ago, bizzard said:

I'd wear full protective PPE in or near sanitory stations.

320px-AX-5-spacesuit.jpg

Don't you normally do so?

3 hours ago, Athy said:

>> we certainly wouldn't want to make a 194-mile round trip in a day.<<

This perhaps illustrates a fundamental problem of leaving something like this to the individual whim. Before I retired I would not infrequently undertake a 500+ mile round trip in a day, simply because I preferred to be at home rather than in a hotel (even an expensive one). These days I am less sure, Covid-19 notwithstanding, but my day-trip limit would still be more distant than yours.

Having said that, the boat is 26 miles away and I haven't been yet.

Perception, and all that. 

• Greenie 1