Can we cruise or not?

canalboat

Featured Posts

Just now, Rob-M said:

Surely that would come under essential travel.

It would, but if I can't get to my boat because the marina is closed (and in my case, refusing to respond to emails from either me or my transporter) then I'm stuck. I'm really scared to be honest. I have nowhere else to go.

11 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

For what exactly?

I would imagine for the last sentence. 

11 minutes ago, dogsarelandseals said:

It would, but if I can't get to my boat because the marina is closed (and in my case, refusing to respond to emails from either me or my transporter) then I'm stuck. I'm really scared to be honest. I have nowhere else to go.

If you are looking at getting access to your boat in order to remove it and consequently live on it I can see why you are pulling your hair out.

You should be given access to remove your property.

Edited by Rickent

Does a marina have any legal right to prevent access to ones property? As long somebody is not in arrears with mooring fees I cant see how they legally can.

One for a legal bod to answer I guess.

2 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

Its not for me to say old sport....................:rolleyes: Hes obviously come a long way already then!!

So, its passing me. I didnt ask why but doing a lot of miles and passing several places for water etc would be wrong at the present time. As I say its up to the covid police not me. Maybe he has a hospital appointment in Oxford or somett? I wasnt judging in my post was I.

The !! suggested some significance to the observation - for which I was asking some clarification.

• Greenie 1

26 minutes ago, dogsarelandseals said:

You are coming across as an ignorant person. I, and I am not alone, will soon be homeless if I am not able to access my boat soon. Slightly different story to your repaint. 

If only you knew ;)

The fact that the boat will become your main residence means you can move into it and the journey was permitted even under the first lockdown.  As for the Marina preventing access to your boat no marina is that secure that you wouldn't be able to gain access..........

• Greenie 1

5 minutes ago, Loddon said:

If only you knew ;)

The fact that the boat will become your main residence means you can move into it and the journey was permitted even under the first lockdown.  As for the Marina preventing access to your boat no marina is that secure that you wouldn't be able to gain access..........

Surely you are not suggesting illegal entry.

12 minutes ago, Rickent said:

Surely you are not suggesting illegal entry.

No you go in as someone leaves, that's not illegal.........

Launch dinghy from towpath, row into marina, board your boat leave with your boat and dinghy.

Also not illegal.

Other means are available ;)

Edited by Loddon
  • Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, Loddon said:

No you go in as someone leaves, that's not illegal.........other means are available ;)

Launch dinghy from towpath, row into marina, board your boat leave with your boat and dinghy.

Also not illegal.

I'm afraid in the same situation I would be seriously considering exactly these options.

56 minutes ago, bizzard said:

I don't know what all the fuss is about, wanting to go cruising all the time. Very likely many folk wouldn't want to go cruising at all in normal times anyway, when there wasn't this virus threat, proved by the ammount of folk ''continuous snorers'' being hassled by CART officers to keep moving on.

While static there are so many nice little things to do. You already have boat maintenance to do like keep mucking about with batteries. Apart from that lots of nice little hobby things to do, wicker bottom chair repairing, collecting elastic bands discarded by postmen and making things with them like matchstick guns, nodding donkeys and for attaching to face masks to hold em on. Games to play like musical chairs, blind mans buff, postmans knock, Ludo, snakes and ladders, Draughts, Solitaire, Unhappy families, and of course there's  Meccano with which you won't want the epidemic to ever come to and end.

There's excercise for which there's no need to leave the boat at all really. Practice keep hoiking in and out the gas bottles in their locker, ditto your batteries, practice keep going down the weed box to check the prop, practice keep sweeping the chimney. Leg excercise can be done by spending a few hours a day by keep stepping up and down on the front door step-box or running on the spot. And of course there's the continual business of washing hands for 20 seconds, making tea, going to the bog cooking, eating, drinking, there's spring cleaning to do to. After you've done all that you might have time to read a sentence in a nice book, or waste time coming on ere. :closedeyes:

That's a good long list of things you can do. But you missed off the only excersise a gentleman should do.....

1 hour ago, dogsarelandseals said:

Get a lawyer involved its your boat

44 minutes ago, Mad Harold said:

That's a good long list of things you can do. But you missed off the only excersise a gentleman should do.....

That's included in postmans knock and off ground touch.

3 hours ago, Machpoint005 said:

Not rude, just setting out facts

For many people, their boats are a second home. That's a fact.

Which makes them a vastly inferior demographic of boater to full time liveaboards such as I. ??

Various threads on here on when/if we can go to our boats, or go boating. Some of them getting quite heated. Just to put things in to perspective, an article in the Grauniad on lumpy water boaters who were cruising when the you know what virus spread. Now stuck in various ports, or even prevented from entering ports and trying to cruise home. Some of them trying to get to Europe from the Caribbean to beat the hurricane season. Others dodging pirates near the Horn of Africa. Our problems are minor in comparison.

Jen

• Greenie 4

3 hours ago, Loddon said:

No you go in as someone leaves, that's not illegal.........

Also not illegal.

Other means are available ;)

The OP ( The boat who may become homeless ) mentioned transport so maybe the boat is to be removed by lorry.

Edited by ditchcrawler
Because I dont know who I am talking about any more

My wife received an email from Damian at CRT this morning. It said

Can I visit my boat?
The latest government guidance states that ‘Day trips to outdoor open space, in a private vehicle, are permitted… irrespective of distance. You should practise social distancing from other people outside your household.’

Our interpretation of this is that you can now visit your boat – provided both you and your boat are in England. Clearly you will have to confirm that your mooring provider has opened the site where your boat is moored and that you can access it safely. Alternatively, they may be able to carry out checks on your behalf if they are continuing to restrict access.

In Wales, separate rules apply which mean you cannot visit your boat.

Overnight stays are not permitted. Hence the Trust advises against travelling long distances to visit your boat.

I'm puzzled by the interpretation: most canal boats are NOT outdoor open space. 

I urgently want to visit the boat - we have much to do but I don't think this permits us to do so.

6 hours ago, Halsey said:

I agree we seem to be being asked to validate the OPs behaviour here but surely there is scope for using some common sense - the defining fact to me is that you cant stay on board overnight if it is your second home - that's a FACT that won't change anytime soon - but surely if you are on a 20 mile pound and want to go out and back for a picnic I don't see the difference between you and a canoe/cyclist/jogger/angler - but if you are planning to do the Farmers Bridge flight from Sherborne Wharf and back for a day out that isn't the same and isn't in the spirit of the rules as you are making contact with surfaces - what do others think

just  a small point but you would need to check if the canal is wide enough to turn

• Haha 1

Surely the missing thing here is that kayaking is exercise, they are propelled by your physical exertions, unlike a powered narrowboat.

Also as said, the primary risk for virus transmission when boating is contact with shared surfaces such as at locks and services. Kayaks with typically either boat between locks, or pull out to get around them. 

We are currently in lockdown, all none essential travel is as far as I am aware still prohibited. The only changes as of this Sunday evening was that 1) you are now allowed to exercise more than once per day 2) you are allowed to drive in order to exercise 3) going into work if you can't work from home and can do so safely is now encouraged rather than simply allowed. 

Daniel

1 minute ago, canalboat said:

Does "OP" mean original poster? 

Possibly, there are so many threads with people coming and going about can they go boating I have lost track. The boat who may become homeless is who I was referring to.

2 hours ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Various threads on here on when/if we can go to our boats, or go boating. Some of them getting quite heated. Just to put things in to perspective, an article in the Grauniad on lumpy water boaters who were cruising when the you know what virus spread. Now stuck in various ports, or even prevented from entering ports and trying to cruise home. Some of them trying to get to Europe from the Caribbean to beat the hurricane season. Others dodging pirates near the Horn of Africa. Our problems are minor in comparison.

Jen

You have no idea how much I would like to be on a proper blue water cruising yacht at the moment ... with well stocked stores, obviously.

• Love 1

6 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

You have no idea how much I would like to be on a proper blue water cruising yacht at the moment ... with well stocked stores, obviously.

Tesco have loads of toilet rolls if if you want to stock up ready

1 hour ago, DHutch said:

Surely the missing thing here is that kayaking is exercise, they are propelled by your physical exertions, unlike a powered narrowboat.

Not really. The things allowed also extend to things like sitting on a park bench or a beach, so no exercise, nor exertion is necessary. In fact, we can visit our boats and sit on our fat backsides when there, so there is definitely no requirement to actually exercise.

I suppose it is for CRT to interpret the government changes and, whether cruising is risky, or not, it doesn't matter. If CRT say no cruising, and no overnight staying, then that's the rule on CRT canals.

(The no overnight thing seems to be second home related and designed to prevent townies flocking to the countryside, and overwhelming the local NHS facilities).