Can we cruise or not?

canalboat

Featured Posts

Monday 11th May Coronavirus Update from Damian Kemp, Boating communications manager, CRT stated

“At this stage we continue to advise that boats should only be used for minimal travel.”

Tuesday 12th May Coronavirus Update from Damian Kemp, Boating communications manager, CRT stated

“only those living on their boat can make short essential trips”

Can we, or can we not, go for a cruise? 
And as it is only advice, do we do as the Prime Minister said and use our common sense?
i.e make our own mind up.

23 minutes ago, canalboat said:

Monday 11th May Coronavirus Update from Damian Kemp, Boating communications manager, CRT stated

“At this stage we continue to advise that boats should only be used for minimal travel.”

Tuesday 12th May Coronavirus Update from Damian Kemp, Boating communications manager, CRT stated

And as it is only advice, do we do as the Prime Minister said and use our common sense?

If you're looking for aan endorsement of what you may do - on the basis of 'devil take the hindmost' then "whatever".

OTOH if you have any social responsibility - then a cruise is not essential and you should not go.

In this country if folks are told 'you may not', that acts as a red rag to a bull and folks will ignore it - hoping to bullshit their way out, thus the instructions are made in general terms.

If you ask me I'd say - only if really needed...

35 minutes ago, canalboat said:

No you can not go for a cruise unless you live on your boat and you are going to the facilities.

4 minutes ago, OldGoat said:

If you're looking for aan endorsement of what you may do - on the basis of 'devil take the hindmost' then "whatever".

OTOH if you have any social responsibility - then a cruise is not essential and you should not go.

In this country if folks are told 'you may not', that acts as a red rag to a bull and folks will ignore it - hoping to bullshit their way out, thus the instructions are made in general terms.

If you ask me I'd say - only if really needed...

I am desperate to take my boat out, I am furloughed at the moment and most likely to be so until at least the end of June, the towpath where my mooring is, is a absolutely manic, but I will not be moving until CRT tell me I can.

• Greenie 2

18 minutes ago, Rickent said:

I am desperate to take my boat out, I am furloughed at the moment and most likely to be so until at least the end of June, the towpath where my mooring is, is a absolutely manic, but I will not be moving until CRT tell me I can.

We have just got to bite the bullet and wait.... we all want to get out there again, but no amount of wishing is going to hasten the orders from above.

At least come tomorrow I'll be able to go and sit on the bloomin' thing !

• Greenie 3

18 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

There is a boat passing me as we type!!

It's really a matter for the skipper's conscience.

Is it a liveaboard travelling for essential services?

Or is it someone who doesn't give a monkey's?

If you launch your high powered inflatable,chase the boat and board it,and give the skipper a good grilling,you may find out.

It could be quite entertaining to watch!?

35 minutes ago, Mad Harold said:

It's really a matter for the skipper's conscience.

Is it a liveaboard travelling for essential services?

Or is it someone who doesn't give a monkey's?

If you launch your high powered inflatable,chase the boat and board it,and give the skipper a good grilling,you may find out.

It could be quite entertaining to watch!?

He moors about ten miles down hill from here. I doubt it's essential but I don't know. I agree it's his choice and doubt he will come across any Covid police on this stretch? ?

1 hour ago, canalboat said:

That is the old information from the Monday email, look at today’s email or the information on CRT’s web site.

Latest from CRT is that visiting boats is fine (provided mooring provider let's you) but no navigation other than what is already allowed for liveaboards. Seems ridiculous they won't allow day trip cruises on powered boats but will allow kayaks/canoes/angling. I can't see a reason for this. Touching lock surfaces is a weak argument considering people are sat on them picnicking now! And you can now drive anywhere you want.

Just now, Nightwatch said:

Oxford something or other?

Its not for me to say old sport....................:rolleyes: Hes obviously come a long way already then!!

35 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

So? 

So, its passing me. I didnt ask why but doing a lot of miles and passing several places for water etc would be wrong at the present time. As I say its up to the covid police not me. Maybe he has a hospital appointment in Oxford or somett? I wasnt judging in my post was I.

I agree we seem to be being asked to validate the OPs behaviour here but surely there is scope for using some common sense - the defining fact to me is that you cant stay on board overnight if it is your second home - that's a FACT that won't change anytime soon - but surely if you are on a 20 mile pound and want to go out and back for a picnic I don't see the difference between you and a canoe/cyclist/jogger/angler - but if you are planning to do the Farmers Bridge flight from Sherborne Wharf and back for a day out that isn't the same and isn't in the spirit of the rules as you are making contact with surfaces - what do others think

Edited by Halsey
  • Greenie 1

17 minutes ago, Halsey said:

I agree we seem to be being asked to validate the OPs behaviour here but surely there is scope for using some common sense - the defining fact to me is that you cant stay on board overnight if it is your second home - that's a FACT that won't change anytime soon - but surely if you are on a 20 mile pound and want to go out and back for a picnic I don't see the difference between you and a canoe/cyclist/jogger/angler - but if you are planning to do the Farmers Bridge flight from Sherborne Wharf and back for a day out that isn't the same and isn't in the spirit of the rules as you are making contact with surfaces - what do others think

A boater on a single pound would come into far less contact with towpath walkers, runners and cyclists than one of today's type anglers with their 4x4 trolleys and £20k worth of carbon fiber 40 foot poles.

2 hours ago, Naughty Cal said:

No you can not go for a cruise unless you live on your boat and you are going to the facilities.

or it is a canoe.

Therein is the contradiction.

Because we COULD sleep on our boats, we aren't to cruise (second homes)

If our boat couldn't be used to sleep, then it looks like permitted recreation.

3 minutes ago, mayalld said:

or it is a canoe.

Therein is the contradiction.

Because we COULD sleep on our boats, we aren't to cruise (second homes)

If our boat couldn't be used to sleep, then it looks like permitted recreation.

I wouldn't call an 19' tupperware you can't stand up in a second home in the same way I wouldn't think of a tent as one, but you can sleep in them. Of course a decent, valuable narrowboat or lodge/park cabin/static caravan could well be. 

Now to just be pedantic, if we can't cruise our leisure boats what about walking the towpath (for permitted exercise) whilst bowhauling (accidentally forgetting to let go of the rope) and the boat just happened to follow you like an obedient puppy ?

3 minutes ago, BilgePump said:

I wouldn't call an 19' tupperware you can't stand up in a second home in the same way I wouldn't think of a tent as one, but you can sleep in them. Of course a decent, valuable narrowboat or lodge/park cabin/static caravan could well be. 

Now to just be pedantic, if we can't cruise our leisure boats what about walking the towpath (for permitted exercise) whilst bowhauling (accidentally forgetting to let go of the rope) and the boat just happened to follow you like an obedient puppy ?

I don't believe you can go camping either though.  So I think the no cruising is derived from the second home restriction, and you could easily get tempted to stay overnight.  Hopefully it will not be too long before you can go out, and I for one need one do the servicing before it goes anywhere, the current oil has been in the since last August Bank Holiday Monday when I changed it on a very sunny day on the Lancaster canal, those were the days.....

• Greenie 1

3 hours ago, Old Son said:

CRT have been quite clear on this, currently no cruising. Only move your boat if you are a resident and need to empty waste or take on water.

But he prefers the earlier advice, not the latest

4 minutes ago, john6767 said:

I don't believe you can go camping either though.  So I think the no cruising is derived from the second home restriction, and you could easily get tempted to stay overnight.  Hopefully it will not be too long before you can go out, and I for one need one do the servicing before it goes anywhere, the current oil has been in the since last August Bank Holiday Monday when I changed it on a very sunny day on the Lancaster canal, those were the days.....

Daft thing was I ran the outboard for first time since Xmas at the start of March and then had to tarp up the boat when we went into lockdown. But at least we can visit from tomorrow and we can sit on the water rather than just walking down the towpath forlornly. Just going to have to do some paddling until such time as we're allowed to have a night aboard and a little jaunt. Take some tinnies though because whenever that will be it will be before the pubs reopen I'm sure. And let's all just be grateful, we're slowly able to resume some small chunks of our leisure lives. Some will never have that opportunity because their work life ended up killing them.

• Greenie 2

I've had an email from our marina this afternoon saying they are following government guidelines and as boats are second homes the marina is still closed to everyone as you shouldn't be visiting second homes.

They state as they have no residential moorings all boats are second homes so I wonder what those who unofficially live in the marina are currently doing.