Concrete 'anchors' for mooring in a river!?

grockell

Featured Posts

Hi,

I've spent some time in Northampton Marina and spoke to someone who mentioned that some boaters have been known to use concrete blocks (buckets filled with set concrete) to moor within the River Nene. As the river is owned by the EA and most of the bank sides are private, this sounds like a ingenious idea to allow mooring anywhere along a stretch of river. Granted, you'd need to consider having a canoe/dingy or an LONG plank of wood in order to get to the bank.

I'm not planning on doing this, but more curious as to whether anyone has experienced this? Would the EA still require you to move on after a certain period of time? I'm not that clued up on what the EA rules are if i'm being totally honest.

Cheers,

George

6 minutes ago, grockell said:

Hi,

I've spent some time in Northampton Marina and spoke to someone who mentioned that some boaters have been known to use concrete blocks (buckets filled with set concrete) to moor within the River Nene. As the river is owned by the EA and most of the bank sides are private, this sounds like a ingenious idea to allow mooring anywhere along a stretch of river. Granted, you'd need to consider having a canoe/dingy or an LONG plank of wood in order to get to the bank.

I'm not planning on doing this, but more curious as to whether anyone has experienced this? Would the EA still require you to move on after a certain period of time? I'm not that clued up on what the EA rules are if i'm being totally honest.

Cheers,

George

My understanding is that the riverbed is owned by the landowner on either side. They would also have views about you putting a plank on their land, or landing via canoe etc. I do have some concrete mud anchors, but not used them that often, especially as much of the Nene is rather narrow. 

In general, apart from the limited moorings that they own, EA don't control where and for how long you can moor. 

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, grockell said:

As the river is owned by the EA and most of the bank sides are private,

The EA is the navigation authority, and it may well own the man made lock cuts, but the land beneath the natural river sections belongs to the landowners either side (up to the middle of the river). So the landowners own the mooring rights, but EA has the right to prevent a moored boat causing an obstruction to navigation.