Three Fellows on the river Soar

Featured Posts

Definitely June, an ex A&CN flyboat which was subsequently converted to a sailing barge by Chris Topp. I think Everton may have been rebottomed on one of the slips at Wigan. I certainly have a photo of one of the Richards sand blasting the hull there.

My apologies, Everton was only partly rebottomed at Worsley, I remember now it had concrete in the bottom of the hold that would have needed jack hammers to remove, its a long time ago but I think the greater part of the bottom was replaced on the Soar as stated by Fanshaft. I do not know if it was on the gravel run.

On 22/04/2023 at 17:59, ANDREW P said:

Everton was re-bottomed at Worsley Dry Dock July / August 1976, I remember they were hoping to attend Peterborough national rally following the docking but lack of time and low water levels that summer intervened.

According to my records Everton crossed the Pennines and arrived in Shipley either late 1976 or early 1977 . After a period at our wharf Everton then loaded 30 tonnes of gravel in Castleford for delivery to Shipley, on 6th April 1977 ( see photo by Richard Pearson - file name is wrong).  The payload was less than it should have been due to the concrete which the previous owner (Bootle Barge Co) had used in lieu of re-bottoming.  This suggests that the re-bottoming was after that date and why I thought it was done at Syston.  Everton was converted by us to a tanker, loading effluent at Esholt for Knostrop, first trip on 4th June 1979. This continued until December, loading up to 58 tonnes.  We then installed a Lister HR3 engine prior to Everton going to France.  Incidentally the first loadings of gravel at Thurmaston was on 3rd May 1976 - Wye, Shirley, June, Whitby.

1976_E_04 - Version 2b.jpg

I think I can read the words 'Canal Haulage' on the back of the cabin. I noted those two words in September 1977. So, given that I was unfamiliar with the name of the boat, so could not I think have made it up, Everton was at Thurmaston in September 1977. I am not making any issue of it, and it is not in the least important. 

On 24/04/2023 at 11:15, davidwheeler said:

I think I can read the words 'Canal Haulage' on the back of the cabin. I noted those two words in September 1977. So, given that I was unfamiliar with the name of the boat, so could not I think have made it up, Everton was at Thurmaston in September 1977. I am not making any issue of it, and it is not in the least important. 

I now have 'chapter and verse' from Richard Pearson:  Everton was purchased from Bootle Barge Co early 1975.  Sandblasted hull on Wigan slipway. Kept at New Lane for a while. 1976: engine rebuilt, and (July) did some plating work under cabin and first panel under hold on the dock at Worsley. Then taken to my wharf/yard at Shipley where Richard (P) re-built the cabin (1976/77) while living aboard. 1977 - April did load of gravel Castleford to Shipley in connection with the first stage of developing Shipley Wharf. In May Richard moved to the middle east and Richard Barnett took Everton to Syston where he had access to the slipway and free electricity.  In the summer of 1978 Everton was moved back to Shipley having been re-bottomed ready for work, managed by Apollo Canal Carriers Ltd and was eventually converted into a tanker. After the effluent traffic from Esholt finished (Dec 1979) ACC fitted a new Lister HR3 engine and Everton was taken to France/Holland for some work that never materialised.  I am not too sure about the events following but following Richard Barnett's demise Everton did end up in the fleet of Wood, Hall & Heward, when the wheel house and wheel steering (which had been very successful) was removed.

Everton Newlay.jpg

• Greenie 1

16 minutes ago, davidwheeler said:

Thank you for that.

Does this mean that Everton could have been at Thurmaston in September 1977? I am in France and I am not sure of the location of the places you mention. 

I would just like to know if I did see what I recorded I saw, that day.

Regards

I would say that Everton was at Thurmaston/Syston from around May 1977 for one year, so yes!

15 minutes ago, davidwheeler said:

Thank you for that.

Does this mean that Everton could have been at Thurmaston in September 1977? I am in France and I am not sure of the location of the places you mention. 

I would just like to know if I did see what I recorded I saw, that day.

Regards

Yes, Thurmaston boatyard, and Harris boatyard at Syston are at either end of the stretch where the gravel pits are.

14 hours ago, davidwheeler said:

Thank you for your patience.

So do I now have this right? Everton was at Thurmaston in September 1977 when I passed, but was under repair or idle and not involved in the gravel trade. 

Yes - almost certainly!!

• 3 weeks later...

Right, well, I have now discovered another photo I took on the River Soar at the gravel site, in about 2000. This shows a pale green painted Bantam tug which had just rammed itself into the bank by two large steel barges or flats, each with black and yellow chequered stripes on bow or stern. Were these, then the successors to the Three Fellows boats? 

5 hours ago, davidwheeler said:

Right, well, I have now discovered another photo I took on the River Soar at the gravel site, in about 2000. This shows a pale green painted Bantam tug which had just rammed itself into the bank by two large steel barges or flats, each with black and yellow chequered stripes on bow or stern. Were these, then the successors to the Three Fellows boats? 

Yes in effect.  When the contract re-started from a new pit below Thurmaston lock tugs and pans were used (none had been available in 1976) but the first operator didn't last long and the job was taken over by the Northern Tug & Barge Co (Richard Barnett and Geoff Wheat) who ran the operation until it ceased in 1996.  I think the pans (pictured below) carried 60 tonnes, constrained by the maximum draft on this section of the Soar, 3ft 6 in, due to a Roman causeway (I was told) below Thurmaston, which couldn't be dredged deeper.

PictureSoar.jpg

4 hours ago, Pluto said:

These were the Trent boats which were tried unsuccessfully.

Indeed, Tess and Soar were too high for the bridges and when ballasted to get under them couldn't carry any cargo.  They were banned by BW - what a  waste of two good boats.

Edited by fanshaft
  • Greenie 1

Thank you. When we passed by it was after 1999, because I took the photo from the engine room of our new boat. The lighters or pans were side by side and empty, and the Bantam tug bows thrust in the bank with nobody on it. So perhaps when we passed it had all been over for several years, and the vessels just left there. Anyway, thank you for the information. When I started in the 1950s there was still lots of commercial use, and ever since I have been on the look-out, albeit it has been increasingly rare. Perhaps the northern waterways were different because, apart from a fortnight on the Leeds & Liverpool in a leaky half BCN dayboat, I never experienced them.

12 hours ago, davidwheeler said:

Thank you. When we passed by it was after 1999, because I took the photo from the engine room of our new boat. The lighters or pans were side by side and empty, and the Bantam tug bows thrust in the bank with nobody on it. So perhaps when we passed it had all been over for several years, and the vessels just left there. Anyway, thank you for the information. When I started in the 1950s there was still lots of commercial use, and ever since I have been on the look-out, albeit it has been increasingly rare. Perhaps the northern waterways were different because, apart from a fortnight on the Leeds & Liverpool in a leaky half BCN dayboat, I never experienced them.

Yes I think you are right - the pans and tug were left for a while after the job finished.  This was the last large scale carrying on a cruising waterway other than the aggregate traffic, 450,000 tonnes,  from Denham to West Drayton which ran for some years from 2003.  A smaller carrying operation has recently started on the Regents Canal, waste for recycling from Camden to Powerday's wharf  in Willesden, operated by Wood, Hall & Heward for iRecycle.

• 8 months later...

Hi all on this thread.....I am joining the chat as I have just taken ownership of 'WYE' a 1946 Yarwood Short boat which has featured in this thread and much banter regarding "Three Fellows on the river Soar". I am very keen indeed to learn more about 'WYE' and her early years and particularly any old photos or films that document her life up to 2024.

I will be restoring her and updating the vessel to a contemporary and unto date level but want to also retain and enhance the traditional aspects and character of the boat. I would welcome any information or leads....or water colour paintings!.....that show Wye in action.

Many thanks in advance!

Roy AKA Wye Wanderlust

me {at} roysant (dot) co [dot] uk

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies
email obscured.
  • Greenie 1

On 15/11/2020 at 20:40, R G Bargee said:

As promised

"WYE", loaded, in Thurmaston Lock, 1975.

Yours truly on the tiller!!! 

A watercolour painting done for me by John West. 

Screenshot_20201115_203834_com.android.gallery3d.jpg

I was so thrilled to see this painting....I have just taken ownership of 'Wye' and doing a load of reasurch into her life....Please do get in touch!!!!

1 hour ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Welcome to the forum.

@R G Bargee hasn't logged in to the forum in three years, so the chances of seeing this are slim. I've tagged him to increase the chances. Good luck with your ownership of Wye.

I saw it! I do visit but haven't felt the need to comment, but I'll certainly follw up on this. 

3 hours ago, Wye Wanderlust said:

I was so thrilled to see this painting....I have just taken ownership of 'Wye' and doing a load of reasurch into her life....Please do get in touch!!!!

Just read the message ... Ill be giving you my couple of years worth tomorrow hopefully. 

Anything specific let me know! 

RG

• Happy 1