Schrodinger's canals - both open and closed

Featured Posts

26 minutes ago, wandering snail said:

English boaters with the relaxation of guidance in the next couple of weeks have been put at more risk than Welsh ones

Only if they choose to put themselves at risk...

1 hour ago, wandering snail said:

I've asked C&RT about this today. The reply was that English boaters are not allowed to cruise in to Wales and Welsh boaters are not allowed to move at all. In other words, English boaters with the relaxation of guidance in the next couple of weeks have been put at more risk than Welsh ones, bearing in mind the difference in English and Welsh death rates.

But English boaters don't have to cruise, they can stay locked down if they wish to.

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

But English boaters don't have to cruise, they can stay locked down if they wish to.

Not after the 23rd for ccers. Then it all gets much more unsafe.

4 hours ago, WotEver said:

Only if they choose to put themselves at risk...

Not after the 23rd for ccers, then it all gets much more unsafe.

31 minutes ago, wandering snail said:

Did you read the email?

From Saturday, 23 May:
Mooring exemptions will come to an end and our guidance for continuous cruisers comes back in to force. This doesn’t mean that every boat without a home mooring needs to move on this day, just that we’d expect you to move off your current mooring within 14 days (i.e. by 6 June).

3 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

Quite so.  If was able (I live in Wales so can't) I would be tempted to go to the Marina and check the boat out but at the moment even if I could I would not be going out boating until a few more weeks yet. 

Edited by churchward
  • Greenie 2

21 hours ago, wandering snail said:

What is unsafe about untying your lines and moving a minimum of 1km from where you are currently moored....

giphy.gif

On 13/05/2020 at 16:49, Heartland said:

If cruising is eased in England as suggested by CRT,  what happens at Chirk when the canal passes into Wales ?

If you start from the Hurleston end, from memory the first boundary crossing into Wales is somewhere around Whixall. 

On 11/05/2020 at 16:43, MoominPapa said:

Really? I'd expect most of my friends and acquaintances to be familiar with Schrodinger's cat. It's a pretty well know gedanken experiment. 

Out of interest, how many here have heard of it?

MP.

I got the reference straight away, but then I am a fan of SciFi and quite honestly Schrodinger's cat was a time travelling alien moggie anyway.

1 minute ago, manxmike said:

I got the reference straight away, but then I am a fan of SciFi and quite honestly Schrodinger's cat was a time travelling alien moggie anyway.

Any recommendations, I've read most of the classics but haven't found anything worth reading for ages

I'm currently reading a trilogy by Dima Zales "The Last Humans" and am about to re-read a series of books by James Blish "Cities in Flight", the Blish novels are fairly old, but surprisingly good.

Edited by manxmike

On 11/05/2020 at 16:43, MoominPapa said:

Really? I'd expect most of my friends and acquaintances to be familiar with Schrodinger's cat. It's a pretty well know gedanken experiment. 

Out of interest, how many here have heard of it?

MP.

Yes, indeed I dug out an essay I wrote on the subject many years ago. The attached cartoon (New Scientist 1976, I always put cartoons in my essays) makes a related point, namely that act of observing something - or measuring it - changes its properties.  It then follows you cannot know precisely the position and momentum of a small (atomic level) object. The more precisely you know its position the less accurate you know its momentum. 

So I am not quite sure the title of this thread is really correct. Aren't we really having a debate about the precise meaning of the words "open" and "closed"?  A particular canal could be "open" from the perspective of some observers (cyclists, pedestrians, liveaboards going to the Elsan) and "closed" for others (eg someone wanting to go from London to Birmingham, not for work purposes). This contested use of language is common in the social sciences, though it drives me (as a mathematician by training) rather bonkers. 

PS if you want to see my time machine, just let me know,cat.jpg.77cf480b618873636ac087efd20fc281.jpg

• Greenie 1

With regards to 

Chirk Aqueduct

and "Blow the feckin thing up....temporarily of course."

The CRT could impose a border control and have stop planks across the canal at, or near, the Telford Aqueduct . As to the Robinsons viaduct that will be Network Rails issue, I suppose

"better wrong with sincerity, rather than right with falsehood"- Martin F Tupper  

On 11/05/2020 at 16:23, Richard Fairhurst said:

The situation is the same: a solo visit to a boat. If you moor your boat at Victoria Basin (Gloucester), operated by CRT, then you can visit it. If you moor your boat at Diglis Basin (Worcester), operated by BWML, you can't. CRT and BWML have seemingly read the same guidance and drawn different conclusions.

I can't imagine how that could happen. 

[Sorry for the late reply.]

41 minutes ago, Heartland said:

With regards to 

Chirk Aqueduct

and "Blow the feckin thing up....temporarily of course."

The CRT could impose a border control and have stop planks across the canal at, or near, the Telford Aqueduct . As to the Robinsons viaduct that will be Network Rails issue, I suppose

"better wrong with sincerity, rather than right with falsehood"- Martin F Tupper  

That's probably not necessary. The canal nips into Wales for a short section near Whixhall Moss. As you can see I have different flags at each end of the boat.... The boundary post is to the left of the towpathDSCF5774.JPG.e96dfa611d6c474d3ceff47c62ff79a5.JPG

Edited by Scholar Gypsy

On 15/05/2020 at 18:37, Scholar Gypsy said:

That's probably not necessary. The canal nips into Wales for a short section near Whixhall Moss. As you can see I have different flags at each end of the boat.... The boundary post is to the left of the towpathDSCF5774.JPG.e96dfa611d6c474d3ceff47c62ff79a5.JPG

So presumably anyone already there can shuttle up and down between Whixall and Chirk.

Edited by David Mack

On 17/05/2020 at 13:55, David Mack said:

So presumably anyone already there can shuttle up and down between Whixall and Chirk.

Careful if you take a stroll on the extraordinary Whixhall Moss. Couple of years ago around this time and during a dry spell, we did so. Mrs D was like me wearing sandals. This made it easy for the sleepy, hidden but bad tempered adder she stood on to get his own back. Scary, anaphylactic shock reaction, but thanks to the amazing Shrewsbury ambulance all was well. Wear boots

On 13/05/2020 at 22:01, TheBiscuits said:

Did you read the email?

From Saturday, 23 May:
Mooring exemptions will come to an end and our guidance for continuous cruisers comes back in to force. This doesn’t mean that every boat without a home mooring needs to move on this day, just that we’d expect you to move off your current mooring within 14 days (i.e. by 6 June).

For some of us this needs a little more detail. We are ccers but don’t live on board. We are moored on a 48 hr town mooring. When we last boated, it was of course March, and signs clearly stated that it was 14 day mooring till end of March. Our reading is that the notice clearly says 14 days, which is just as well as our planned route soon hits some locks which may be restricted and then Foxton which I believe is closed.

Do we need to confirm with crt or can we just wait till we’re confident that the system is more or less open, perhaps early June?

24 minutes ago, droshky said:

For some of us this needs a little more detail. We are ccers but don’t live on board. We are moored on a 48 hr town mooring. When we last boated, it was of course March, and signs clearly stated that it was 14 day mooring till end of March. Our reading is that the notice clearly says 14 days, which is just as well as our planned route soon hits some locks which may be restricted and then Foxton which I believe is closed.

Do we need to confirm with crt or can we just wait till we’re confident that the system is more or less open, perhaps early June?

I'd suggest that you should move off the 48 hour mooring by Monday 25th May.  If you were on a 14 day mooring you could have stayed till 6th June.

The permission to ignore the "CC guidance" expires on May 23rd, so that's when you are considered to have moored on the 48 hour mooring.

33 minutes ago, droshky said:

This bit is part of the boaters update.....

This doesn’t mean that every boat without a home mooring needs to move on this day, just that we’d expect you to move off your current mooring within 14 days (i.e. by 6 June).  

Some considerations:

• Short-stay visitor moorings return to their summer stay times so please do not stay on these longer than stated on local signage.

4 hours ago, matty40s said:

This bit is part of the boaters update.....

This doesn’t mean that every boat without a home mooring needs to move on this day, just that we’d expect you to move off your current mooring within 14 days (i.e. by 6 June).  

Some considerations:

• Short-stay visitor moorings return to their summer stay times so please do not stay on these longer than stated on local signage.

Yes understood. However, will we be able to go anywhere? From Braunston we’d like to head for Leicester. Will the locks and tunnel right in front be passable from day 1? If not, then what do we do? We’ve been cc’ing for years but these are strange times. Yes, we’ve been lucky to be where we are (I hope, who knows??).

So we just want to bide our time till the situation clears a little. I’ve asked crt and will post if I hear from them. 

keep well all

From Braunston you can move your boat up the locks and moor above the locks. 14 days after about 200 yards

. You can go through the tunnel and leave the boat along the canal towpath the other side of the tunnel or at Norton Junction... 14 days.

You could take the boat further up the Leicester arm, mooring near Welton Marina, Welton Hythe marina, or past Watford Gap near to the Watford Flight...all 14 days.

I booked the Watford flight at 4 days notice for an essential boat move to brokerage for a family. 2 other boats managed to engage the Locky in conversation and got their boats through the flight on the same passage.

From the Watford flight to Foxton is a good 6 months CC ing by some boaters standards, 22 miles, Welford Arm and multitudes of attractive safe moorings away from large population centres and pretty much Leicestershire is one of the least affected counties anyway.

Similarly, the run after bookable Foxton has endless mooring opportunities down to Kilsby Bridge, then a 6 hour stint sticks you in city centre quarantined locked off moorings to shop and enjoy the river.

Whats not to like.?

Edited by matty40s
  • Happy 1