Schrodinger's canals - both open and closed

Featured Posts

I've read the guidance from CRT.

Paddlesports are permitted (canoe, kayak or SUP).

The answer is simple; Leave your engine off, stand on the roof of your narrowboat and pole it along the canal. If anyone objects, tell them it is a SUP. A very large one. 

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 2

Heisenberg and Schrodinger were driving to work one day, when they were stopped by a traffic policeman.

Policeman:  "Do you now what speed you were doing?"
Heisenberg: " No, but I knew exactly where I was."
Policeman:  "Well, you were doing exactly 81 mph."
Heisenberg:  "Thanks for that, but now I have no idea where I am."

The policeman is now annoyed by the scientists' attitude, so he examines their car carefully, hoping to find a fault.  Finally he opens the boot...

Policeman: "Hey, did you know you've got a dead cat in here?"
Schrodinger:  " No, I wasn't certain, but I am now."

Unfortunately there are many, many more of these!

4 minutes ago, Batavia said:
Heisenberg and Schrodinger were driving to work one day, when they were stopped by a traffic policeman.

Policeman:  "Do you now what speed you were doing?"
Heisenberg: " No, but I knew exactly where I was."
Policeman:  "Well, you were doing exactly 81 mph."
Heisenberg:  "Thanks for that, but now I have no idea where I am."

The policeman is now annoyed by the scientists' attitude, so he examines their car carefully, hoping to find a fault.  Finally he opens the boot...

Policeman: "Hey, did you know you've got a dead cat in here?"
Schrodinger:  " No, I wasn't certain, but I am now."

Unfortunately there are many, many more of these!

:)

47 minutes ago, Richard Fairhurst said:

They do indeed, but it's not clear why.

My (limited) recent interactions with CRT suggest they are scared witless of not having followed guidance - for them "following guidance" is the new "following orders"

In the run up to lockdown other organisations from Premiership Football to small canal societies jumped before they were pushed - many things had stopped before the lockdown, but CRT were still going to hold a meeting in Leeds on the 26th March until less than a week beforehand because the guidance didn't tell them not to. Football had stopped, canal work parties had stopped, offices were closed, I met Axbridge Town Council on site because their offices were closed on the 18th March, by which time the RCHS AGM was called off but no, CRT meeting was still on. Obviously it was cancelled in the end as 26th March was after lockdown, but really, the writing was on the wall long before they pulled the plug.

And now it's happening in reverse... 

That said, I will support the approach they took on towpaths, to advise people to minimise usage rather than to close them

BWML clearly don't believe the advice is sufficient to justify allowing general access, and my guess is that if you had good reason to visit your boat they'd arrange access for you, but they don't want you casually turning up.

27 minutes ago, MoominPapa said:

Really? I'd expect most of my friends and acquaintances to be familiar with Schrodinger's cat. It's a pretty well know gedanken experiment. 

I've never heard of a Gedanken experiment either; does it mean giving thanks to a German?

I've always been on the arts rather than the science side, and certainly I have no knowledge of dissecting cats, though I have eaten in a few rather dodgy restaurants in my time.

1 hour ago, Athy said:

Seeking enlightenment, I looked for "Schrodinger's Canals" on Google, but there were no entries. What and where are they? They sound German but the references in this thread seem to be to British ones. Baffling!

Perhaps they are part of the Virtually abandoned BCN, left over from last week's Challenge. And perhaps not.

1 minute ago, Athy said:

I've never heard of a Gedanken experiment either; does it mean giving thanks to a German?

I've always been on the arts rather than the science side, and certainly I have no knowledge of dissecting cats, though I have eaten in a few rather dodgy restaurants in my time.

It means a "thought experiment", that is, an experiment which is not intended to be carried out, (or which can't be carried out) but which reveals truths simply in the process of thinking about what could happen if you did.

MP.

29 minutes ago, MoominPapa said:

Out of interest, how many here have heard of it?

I know it exists, although not sure I have heard of it.

So....(from Wednesday)

A Frenchman who is my sisters husband,   drinking copious amounts of Red Bull to stay alert, can come over here, say hello outside, borrow my canoe and paddle down to Gayton and back, returning home the same evening.

I am not allowed to follow him on my boat, or go up and sit in my mother's garden in Blackpool and have a cup of tea with her.

Yup, sensible and clear Boris.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Athy said:

Think about it

Ahhh too late the moomin has been nice and actually explained it

Edited by tree monkey

41 minutes ago, MoominPapa said:

Really? I'd expect most of my friends and acquaintances to be familiar with Schrodinger's cat. It's a pretty well know gedanken experiment. 

Out of interest, how many here have heard of it?

MP.

i’m not convinced of Athy’s sincerity in his claims of bewilderment, perhaps he’s employing Meinertzhagen’s Haversack? ;) 

19 minutes ago, matty40s said:

I know it exists, although not sure I have heard of it.

So....(from Wednesday)

A Frenchman who is my sisters husband,   drinking copious amounts of Red Bull to stay alert, can come over here, say hello outside, borrow my canoe and paddle down to Gayton and back, returning home the same evening.

I am not allowed to follow him on my boat, or go up and sit in my mother's garden in Blackpool and have a cup of tea with her.

Yup, sensible and clear Boris.

Honestly mate, this latest update is a crock of sh1t, we have a grandson born on 17th April who we have not seen yet, and yes, we can now meet him in a local park , but only with one of his parents and cannot get any closer than 2m.

Wonderful, but at least non essential travel is now allowed so we can go boating, oh wait a minute............

1 minute ago, magpie patrick said:

Ohm's Law... 

I have Schrodinger's bicycle in the garage - I left it there, it may or may not have been stolen, but I won't know until I open the garage door

Ah... but until you observe it, it doesn't exist, at least not in bicycle form so technically you do not have a bicycle in there, at least not until you open the garage door.

2 minutes ago, Rickent said:

Honestly mate, this latest update is a crock of sh1t, we have a grandson born on 17th April who we have not seen yet, and yes, we can now meet him in a local park , but only with one of his parents and cannot get any closer than 2m.

Wonderful, but at least non essential travel is now allowed so we can go boating, oh wait a minute............

I'm not sure that's right, think one of the parents would have to leave the grandson in the local park and they would then go home, this would then enable you to then travel to the park to meet your grandson from a distance of 2 meters

12 minutes ago, Rickent said:

Ah... but until you observe it, it doesn't exist, at least not in bicycle form so technically you do not have a bicycle in there, at least not until you open the garage door.

I'd be more concerned about the radioactive source in the garage. ?

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies

11 minutes ago, sirweste said:

I'm not sure that's right, think one of the parents would have to leave the grandson in the local park and they would then go home, this would then enable you to then travel to the park to meet your grandson from a distance of 2 meters

I was commenting earlier that if the three of us go and meet a mate in a public place, we are OK but he is committing an offence!

I love joined up thinking ...

• Haha 1