Schrodinger's canals - both open and closed

Featured Posts

10.40am, email from CRT:

"With the Government announcing a first step in lifting restrictions on outdoor activities, and allowing people to drive to spend time outdoors with members of the same household, from Wednesday, the Trust is lifting any remaining restrictions on boat owners visiting their boats though the Trust advises against travelling long distances unless it is essential to do so.”

11.17am, email from BWML:

"per prior Government advice, our marinas are not currently accessible to those customers who do not have the marina as their primary residence, and we continue to ask all leisure customers to respect this mandate until the Government gives us clarity on any changed advice.”

A similar thing from CaRT just now. The Sheffield and Tinsley navigation is open, but boat movement isn't possible?!!! How is that different from not open?

Notice Alert

Sheffield & Tinsley Canal
Location: Lock 12 to Victoria Quays, Sheffield & TInsley Canal - Completed repair works
Starts At: Tinsley No.12 Lock
Ends At: Sheffield Basin

Monday 23 March 2020 08:00 until Monday 11 May 2020 15:00

Type: Advice
Reason: Repair

Update on 11/05/2020:

The repairs have been completed.

The navigation is open however due to government guidelines, boat movement is not possible.

Please remember our advice - only move your boat if it’s essential (not for leisure purposes) and minimise your use of the towpath.

If you are not currently occupying your boat the government guidance is that you must not visit it (this means no short trips or breaks on your boat at this time).

Please follow the government advice – stay at home, protect the NHS, save lives.

Update on 01/04/2020:

Further to the investigation of pipeline issues, urgent repairs are required to one of the pipes used for pumping from the Tinsley pumps.

The navigation will be closed until the repairs are completed and low water levels will be maintained from Lock 1 to Victoria Quays.

For safety reasons, the towpath will also be closed from Bridge 18 to the Tinsley Footbridge.

Customers are reminded to move only if it is essential to reach services.  Please follow Government guidance at all times.

Thank you.

Update on 25/03/2020:

Engineers & contractors are on site commencing investigations.

There is a pipe line issue which affects the length of canal from Lock 1 - Victoria Quays.

Low water levels to be expected until further notice..

Original message:

Installation of new pumps at Tinsley is taking place.

Works will commence with effect from 23rd March.

Boats moored between Lock 1 and Victoria Quays could experience low water levels during these works. 

You can view this notice and its map online here:
https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notice/17324/lock-12-to-victoria-quays-sheffield-and-tinsley-canal-completed-repair-works

1 minute ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

A similar thing from CaRT just now. The Sheffield and Tinsley navigation is open, but boat movement isn't possible?!!! How is that different from not open?

But it's not Wednesday yet.  The email was correct at the time it was written, and will still be correct tomorrow.

On Wednesday the advice changes.

• Greenie 1

Interesting...so gov advice means that CRT believe folk are allowed out to the boat for a single day's cruise...

I'm still sat still on the southern GU, tbh quite enjoying the quiet winter canal conditions but in nice summer weather

6 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

But it's not Wednesday yet.  The email was correct at the time it was written, and will still be correct tomorrow.

On Wednesday the advice changes.

The lock flight needs to be booked and is operated by CaRT lockies. I suppose you'd need to try and book passage for tomorrow to collapse the wave function and see if it is really open or not.

Jen

Seeking enlightenment, I looked for "Schrodinger's Canals" on Google, but there were no entries. What and where are they? They sound German but the references in this thread seem to be to British ones. Baffling!

Edited by Athy

1 minute ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

The lock flight needs to be booked and is operated by CaRT lockies. I suppose you'd need to try and book passage for tomorrow to collapse the wave function and see if it is really open or not.

Jen

Depends - they are saying "minimal" movement as opposed to only "essential" movement, but you'd still need to justify to CRT why you needed the locks staffing for your daytrip.

6 minutes ago, Athy said:

Seeking enlightenment, I looked for "Schrodinger's Canals" on Google, but there were no entries. What and where are they? They sound German but the references in this thread seem to be to British ones. Baffling!

Physics. A reference to the infamous cat vivisectionist Erwin Shrodinger.

Jen

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies
  • Greenie 1

4 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

Seems reasonable.  Two different organisations have two different things going on.

I'm not expecting the canalside pubs to be open either.

They do indeed, but it's not clear why.

The situation is the same: a solo visit to a boat. If you moor your boat at Victoria Basin (Gloucester), operated by CRT, then you can visit it. If you moor your boat at Diglis Basin (Worcester), operated by BWML, you can't. CRT and BWML have seemingly read the same guidance and drawn different conclusions.

Waterside pubs are an entirely different situation.

Advice seems clear to me. From Wednesday you can visit your boat (if your mooring provider permits access). But you can't go out boating on it unless you have a good reason to do so. 

So this is an opportunity to check the boat over, and maybe do some jobs in preparation for boating, but not yet to actually go boating.

• Greenie 1

Just now, David Mack said:

Advice seems clear to me. From Wednesday you can visit your boat (if your mooring provider permits access). But you can't go out boating on it unless you have a good reason to do so. 

So this is an opportunity to check the boat over, and maybe do some jobs in preparation for boating, but not yet to actually go boating.

That's how it reads to me too, with the notable extra that you should not stay overnight on it.

I read this as you can go to your boat, and move if you need / wish rather than have to,  but don’t anticipate navigation structures necessarily being opened, especially those that are manned.

I have to turn round, and wish to trial run the rebuilt engine. I feel I can now do this on the 4 mile pound I moor on and wednesday will do just that.

18 minutes ago, wandering snail said:

I haven't seen anywhere yet what magic is going to happen on Wednesday to remove or even decrease the virus risk. All I have seen is relaxation of the guidance that was keeping us safer. 

You have to really believe it is going to work. If you don't you are doing down Britain (actually England in this case) and when it fails to work then it is all your fault.

• Happy 1

34 minutes ago, Athy said:

Blimey! Obscure reference of the day!

Really? I'd expect most of my friends and acquaintances to be familiar with Schrodinger's cat. It's a pretty well know gedanken experiment. 

Out of interest, how many here have heard of it?

MP.

Just now, MoominPapa said:

Really? I'd expect most of my friends and acquaintances to be familiar with Schrodinger's cat. It's a pretty well know gedanken experiment. 

MP.

Well @Richard Fairhurst 'cause he started the topic. You, 'cause you thought most people know it. Me ' cause I did the link to it. @Rickent and @TheBiscuits too.

Jen

6 minutes ago, MoominPapa said:

MP.

Yup, fairly common reference here, I am sure I don't fully get the full scope of the idea but I understand the common use.

I do have to google gedanken though...

Ahh you're just being smart aren't you ;)

Edited by tree monkey