Returning to Zulu and an HR2

Movin' on

Featured Posts

Serious question - when we are allowed back on board to review (not to cruise) over the next week or so do I need to do anything special re the engine before I start her up??

My thoughts relate to (the pretty new) oil in particular.................

I cant wait to hear her chugging away again ?

Edited by Halsey

23 minutes ago, Stilllearning said:

Set the decompression levers then spin the engine over till there is oil all round the engine, then drop one lever followed by the other. Oh, check the oil level first!

All as I would do normally then ............I just wondered if I needed to drop some in through the rocker covers or not

5 minutes ago, Halsey said:

All as I would do normally then ............I just wondered if I needed to drop some in through the rocker covers or not

Yes, especially if the sump level is a bit below maximum. Old Listers tend to be very forgiving.

Others may have their own opinions of course.

43 minutes ago, Halsey said:

I'm not a Lister expert, but in general its the bores and crank bearings that are critical and dropping in oil from the top won't really get to either of these though might put a bit of oil onto the cams.

Engines can be left for years and usually not suffer as long as the bores don't rust, and oil clings on really well.

The suggestion to turn the engine over without firing is a good one, if you have an oil pressure gauge you could crank the engine till you see some oil pressure.

.............Dave

• Greenie 1

Oil or grease any thrust bearing, if not sealed for life.  Grease stern tube with an extra turn.

Give the valve gear a good squirt or two of oil, then wind it over decompressed so some oil gets circulated. The mains  big ends and camshaft bearings will benefit most. Then don't rev it up much for a couple of minutes while the oil gets everywhere.

Then pop it in either gear for 2 or 3 minutes each way, going slowly, to circulate some oil round the gearbox and reduction gears.

Go boating to get everything properly earmed up.

N

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, dmr said:

I'm not a Lister expert, but in general its the bores and crank bearings that are critical and dropping in oil from the top won't really get to either of these though might put a bit of oil onto the cams.

Engines can be left for years and usually not suffer as long as the bores don't rust, and oil clings on really well.

The suggestion to turn the engine over without firing is a good one, if you have an oil pressure gauge you could crank the engine till you see some oil pressure.

.............Dave

It won’t get oil in the cam, it is  over a foot below.

what we do ( given it can be 8 months between start ups ) 

small amount of oil through each rocker box, to lube the rocker gear. Small cup full.

spin decompressed engine, several times till we get 30 psi.

recompress , wind on a bit. Start up on low revs. 
let her warm up before load.

59 minutes ago, roland elsdon said:

It won’t get oil in the cam, it is  over a foot below.

what we do ( given it can be 8 months between start ups ) 

small amount of oil through each rocker box, to lube the rocker gear. Small cup full.

spin decompressed engine, several times till we get 30 psi.

recompress , wind on a bit. Start up on low revs. 
let her warm up before load.

Thanks - pretty much what I thought I would do but this engine is new to me - much the same as the other vint's I've owned

1 hour ago, Halsey said:

Thanks - pretty much what I thought I would do but this engine is new to me - much the same as the other vint's I've owned

It’s my third lister H series. It’s just been rebuilt but it was weary when we bought it.

The first  Herbert the HA  2 I thrashed the living daylights out of for 17 years towing,  and with  no money, and only ever changed the oil and injectors. The second  Hb 3 I treated like a baby. This one after 5 years of  servicing  care , just had it rebuilt ( acting as assistant parts cleaner and teaboy) wasn’t in bad shape really. However the smoke was starting to annoy and the crank oil seal had gone.

Keep the oil changes up and the filters clean. They are after all a plant engine at the end of the day, nothing mystical.

The  fitting of a tractor seat fitted on the back of your boat will cause any lister to misbehave.