Exol Pride on the move

LadyG

Featured Posts

Crikey, just got swooshed by Exol Pride, the first commercial movement since I moved on the the canal proper, that is some beast, with a pretty big engine! I wonder if my neighbours got thronwn out of their bunks!

It was 07.59.

Edited by LadyG

Lol, if you are parked mainline it can be very scary. Proper boat that shoves a lot of water at the bow. Great to see arnt they. Make a big woolwich look like a cork ?

2 hours ago, LadyG said:

Crikey, just got swooshed by Exol Pride, the first commercial movement since I moved on the the canal proper, that is some beast, with a pretty big engine! I wonder if my neighbours got thronwn out of their bunks!

It was 07.59.

Did you shout at him to slow down

1 hour ago, ditchcrawler said:

Did you shout at him to slow down

I pointed at my watch, [he was running his engine between dawn and 08.00], I suddenly found myself on the floor, amid an epensive tinkling sound, my Ming Vase will never  be quite the same again. Fortunately my best crystal G&T glass lives inside the ice box, with the Gin, both survived intact.

The bar will open at 12.00 today, so I need leave now to get to Tesco for more tonic, and a lemon. Essential travel only today.

There's a cold front going through....................

Edited by LadyG
  • Greenie 1

13 minutes ago, LadyG said:

I pointed at my watch, [he was running his engine between dawn and 08.00], I suddenly found myself on the floor, amid an epensive tinkling sound, my Ming Vase will never  be quite the same again. Fortunately my best crystal G&T glass lives inside the ice box, with the Gin, both survived intact.

The bar will open at 12.00 today, so I need leave now to get to Tesco for more tonic, and a lemon. Essential travel only today.

There's a cold front going through....................

It looks a bit big to be just a front

When the tankers were Whitakers we once spent some time with Humber Princess working the Don section from Sprtoborough to Rotherham.  We had the C&RT Harbourmaster with us.  Yes they have a Harbourmaster as they are a port authority, just like the big boys, port of London, ABP etc.  They have their own regulations (not col-regs but mostly similar) etc.

Barges normally work 0600 - 2100 but not in the dark.  You can feel the disturbance 15 to 20 minutes before she arrives.  On the main lines where they run always moor to bollards or rings and use spring lines.  Centre ropes should never be used.

The tankers have a GPS recorder fitted and can verify their speed at any location if a claim is made.

• Greenie 1

Excol Pride passing is an impressive sight. She also has quite an effect on moored boats.

This video (not mine) towards the end shows how much the water level rises when she passes and how much a moored narrow boat lists.

8 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

Excol Pride passing is an impressive sight. She also has quite an effect on moored boats.

This video (not mine) towards the end shows how much the water level rises when she passes and how much a moored narrow boat lists.

And that is heading empty back from Rotherham. You can see how much extra it draws full by the marks on the hull. This is why local boaters don't moor on pins, even though the skipper does slow down past moored boats. 

Jen

43 minutes ago, LadyG said:

I pointed at my watch, [he was running his engine between dawn and 08.00],

Deleted as saying the same as others ? 

Edited by haggis

1 minute ago, Athy said:

I noticed that - or rather that he sped up once he'd passed them.

He will have slowed well before the bridge, out of shot There is a line of visitor moorings the other side of the lift bridge. Same side as the video is being taken from.

2 hours ago, Grebe said:

Barges normally work 0600 - 2100 but not in the dark.  You can feel the disturbance 15 to 20 minutes before she arrives.  On the main lines where they run always moor to bollards or rings and use spring lines.  Centre ropes should never be used.

The tankers have a GPS recorder fitted and can verify their speed at any location if a claim is made.

When did they stop working at night, Malcolm? Were certainly running early morning when we were stuck in the ice at Lemonroyd winter of 2010/11. Couldn't stay in bed whilst they passed!

Edited by pearley

3 minutes ago, pearley said:

When did they stop working at night, Malcolm? Were certainly running early morning when we were stuck in the ice at Lemonroyd winter of 2010/11. Couldn't stay in bed whilst they passed!

Was about to ask the same.

We have certainly been woken up by them passing us when we have been moored at Pollington before.

1 hour ago, pearley said:

We got that information 2012/2013 time when SWMBO was publishing the South Yorkshire guide.  I recall Princess being moored near you when you were at Aldwarke Lock.  Can't recall if it was a late arrival or early departure.

47 minutes ago, Grebe said:

We got that information 2012/2013 time when SWMBO was publishing the South Yorkshire guide.  I recall Princess being moored near you when you were at Aldwarke Lock.  Can't recall if it was a late arrival or early departure.

She arrived late afternoon. Don't recall what time next day she left as we were moored upstream of her.

Do remember that anglers on the other bank not impressed when she put rudder hard over when mooring and washed their feet!

4 hours ago, Athy said:

Why do you think Jo wasn't joking? I assumed that she was.

It's a running joke, I got told off a few days ago for running the engine contrary to CRT guidelines by a fellow boater.

Yesterday the Marina rumour mill had escalated that to dawn [04.30], as evidenced on here.

It is possible they heard my Webasto, it is louder than the engine, but not as loud as the neighbours dog!

Woof Woof.

Just now, LadyG said:

It's a running joke, I got told off a few days ago for running the engine contrary to CRT guidelines by a fellow boater.

Yesterday the Marina rumour mill had escalated that to dawn [04.30], as evidenced on here.

It is possible they heard my Webasto, it is louder than the engine, but not as loud as the neighbours dog!

Woof Woof.

My word, you are popular on the moorings

• Happy 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, LadyG said:

If it was Dawn running her engine then you are in the clear! :D

4 hours ago, The Happy Nomad said:

He will have slowed well before the bridge, out of shot There is a line of visitor moorings the other side of the lift bridge. Same side as the video is being taken from.

I have a bow line to a big bollard, but the centre line was attached instead of all springs because I was paiinting the gunwales yesterday, those pins have shifted.

She was coming past at tickover, walking pace  I would say.in order to dock a hundred meters along the canal. yes impressive.

11 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

My word, you are popular on the moorings

I understand they don't like change, it may be something to do with the fact that I am now on the best mooring in the Marina, ?

Edited by LadyG

50 minutes ago, LadyG said:

I have a bow line to a big bollard, but the centre line was attached instead of all springs because I was paiinting the gunwales yesterday, those pins have shifted.

She was coming past at tickover, walking pace  I would say.in order to dock a hundred meters along the canal. yes impressive.

I understand they don't like change, it may be something to do with the fact that I am now on the best mooring in the Marina, ?

It's the centre line wot dun it.

I reckon most complaints about speeding past moored boats are because of centre lines 'whipping' followed by poor mooring line techniques and no springs.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, LadyG said:

Woof Woof.

You certainly have made plenty of friends in your time there!

• Greenie 1