Slipways and lockkeepers

Crow

Featured Posts

It depends on your point of view.

If you take the announcement as given then ... NO

However if you don't appreciate how awful this could suddenly escalate.

Don't view guidelines/advice etc as something you need to do because "it ain't law is it?". 

If in your head all that matters is I can argue this doesn't apply to me or you view is that it's all a challenge to find a way around, then off you go.

Edited by zenataomm
Lack of fs
  • Greenie 2

1 hour ago, zenataomm said:

It depends on your point of view.

If you take the announcement as given then ... NO

However if you don't appreciate how awful this could suddenly escalate.

Don't view guidelines/advice etc as something you need to do because "it ain't law is it?". 

If in your head all that matters is I can argue this doesn't apply to me or you view is that it's all a challenge to find a way around, then off you go.

I've heard the relevant bit twice now, and it still isn't clear in specific terms. I think Boris said that you could go out as much as you like, travel as far as you like, feel free to sit on a park bench, and play sports - as long as you stay alert and maintain social distancing.

(Wales and Scotland have obviously said that we shouldn't cross their borders).

2 hours ago, Crow said:

So.  What’s the plot on  BJ  s.    latest announcements. Can we do a bit of pleasure cruising yet 

My house is 4 miles from where my boat is moored, and I could drive past it en route to a shop if anyone stopped me and asked me.  I wouldn't be moving into a different NHS area if I went to the boat, so no trouble there.  One of my best friends lives on a boat tied 300 yards from my boat, and it was his birthday yesterday.  I didn't go, even though I really wanted to.

I know the government have been tweaking the slogan so we don't need to bother protecting the NHS anymore, but I look at it this way: 

Is this journey worth killing a nurse for?

Me going to the boat isn't at this point.  If my other friends tell me it's on fire or sinking I'll go and check.  It's not about me, it's about who I might spread the disease to.

6 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

My house is 4 miles from where my boat is moored, and I could drive past it en route to a shop if anyone stopped me and asked me.  I wouldn't be moving into a different NHS area if I went to the boat, so no trouble there.  One of my best friends lives on a boat tied 300 yards from my boat, and it was his birthday yesterday.  I didn't go, even though I really wanted to.

I know the government have been tweaking the slogan so we don't need to bother protecting the NHS anymore, but I look at it this way: 

Is this journey worth killing a nurse for?

Me going to the boat isn't at this point.  If my other friends tell me it's on fire or sinking I'll go and check.  It's not about me, it's about who I might spread the disease to.

I'm finding this hard to cope with when the nurse next door to me is partying having friends and family round but using all the advantages of the NHS to shop take her kid to school (thank god) etc etc 

But basically I agree and don't think the message change will do anything but cause the cities to spike in 2 weeks time (but maybe London etc are being used as a test bed) 

At least the police can relax now from their impossible task of the last 6 weeks IMHO they deserve a lot more sympathy than they have been getting

9 hours ago, Crow said:

Well its as clear as mud, but I do think in 10 /14 days the hospitals will be full again

Oh, I did not take that message in, it would take a month to start filling up the beds, because we will also be discharging those who are currently having treatment, and some of them will leave by the back door. I imagined peaks and troughs on a daily basis, as now, but the curve which is sloping down, will at the very worst, flatten out. When /if the R value looks like it will go over 1, then we will clamp down again, but the trouble is,we are guessing a lot of the time, as to how to stop the spread of the disease.

The Nightingales still have plenty of reserve capacity, but I am not sure how they can be properly staffed, in a month's time staff fatigue is almost bound to have set in, imho.

Edited by LadyG

There is no vaccine.  There is no miracle  cure, just peoples immune systems. The only way out of the hole is when enough people are naturally immune. 

We don't know how long post infection immunity lasts, if it does. We don't know what the virus will do,excepg that it will mutate, cos viruses do that.

So we either sit indoors, go mad and get broke, with the rest of the country and the Guvinnment or we get going again and hope that this all behaves virus normal style so that the case rate dies back to a dull roar.

Lockdown saves the elderly, at the expense of the younger generation who will spend the next 60+ years paying off the debt incurred to prevent NHS overload and save political face.  If we get going again I suspect that social distancing etc. will expand and contract as needed to keep the outbreak under control.  The NHS has substantial unused COVID capacity now  so should cope. Pollies then only have to exhort us to social distance in order to keep the infection rate manageable.

N

11 minutes ago, BEngo said:

We don't know how long post infection immunity lasts, if it does.

Given that the first people to get this, and not die, recovered a few months ago, and given that there is a blood test which can test for immunity, you would think that they know whether it has lasted from then until now. In addition, as time goes by, they will also know when people being tested are no longer immune, if that happens.

So... we either already know that immunity lasts 3 months, on an ongoing and increasing basis, or we know that it lasts for less than this.

Unless, of course, nobody has bothered to carry out this research?

15 hours ago, system 4-50 said:

At least we now know exactly where we are. In stage 4. Or stage 3. Or somewhere in the middle. Maybe.

My mask is rated 3.5

I do not allow any goods inside my boat that has not been disinfected, not sterilised, just wiped over with a disinfectant or newly hot washed.

16 hours ago, Richard10002 said:

Unless, of course, nobody has bothered to carry out this research?

That seems most unlikely. I imagine that, in labs around the world, scientists are beavering away at corona-related research.

1 hour ago, Athy said:

That seems most unlikely. I imagine that, in labs around the world, scientists are beavering away at corona-related research.

Indeed.  Here is one of the clearer and more comprehensive summaries of what is going on, from The Lancet.  https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(20)30985-5/fulltext  Some of it will give pause to those wanting to get back to 'norma'l' life.

1 hour ago, Athy said:

I imagine that the answer is, we do know, but that this hasn't been going on long enough, and certain parameters haven't been met, for the data to conclusive by publishable standards. No one is going to risk their career by being the first to say immunity exists or how long it lasts for yet, in case they're wrong, and their data collection/methodology can be picked apart to enable them to take the blame for what could be catastrophic consequences. 

4 hours ago, Athy said:

The worrying thing is that no one has got any nearer to a breakthough, as far as we know, one would have thought that there would be either an antedote or a remedy, and yet, so far nothing, as far as we know.

I  am readng LOCKDOWN by  Peter May [Asda £4.50], and if @Athy reads it he will understand what I meant by UK pseudo - lockdown, perhaps  "quasi lockdown" would be more correct.

The UK is not going to tolerate full marshal law and lockdown, inevitably, lockdown will dissolve, 

Edited by LadyG

On 11/05/2020 at 20:23, ditchcrawler said:

Is there

I thought I had replied to this, but it seems to have disappeared into the ether.

There is an antibody test, but it is a proper blood test, that has to be sent away for analysis, and not the pinprick thing like a pregnancy test. I saw the Chairman of Cobra Beer saying that he had had one, which was sent to a lab in Germany where they confirmed he had the antibodies.

Also, in one of the earlier Med Cram videos on Covid 19, he talks about research on 3 chimpanzees which sere giver the virus. 1 died and 2 survived. The 2 who survived had antibodies, were injected with the virus again, and didnt suffer. I think this was only 28 days after first infection at the time.