Can we cruise again?

Featured Posts

10 hours ago, Cheshire cat said:

Thanks for the explanation. I remember the "jabs" from school. Having a surname that came at the end of the alphabet was no fun at all when it meant you were stood at the back of the queue.

When I was at school the letter C was near the front of the Queue !!

Oooooooooooo - Just had a thought - are you not using your real name on the forum ?

18 hours ago, churchward said:

That is right.  Vaccinations are about protecting everyone not just those who have actually had it.

If we do get an effective Covid vaccination thankfully it will not need everyone to have the injection.  If over 60% or so of the population becomes immune that will protect the 40% too.  When an infected person is generally surrounded by people with some immunity the chain of infection will be broken as there is just not enough others near by it can infect.

In general vaccines give a high level of protection to those who have it but a reduced level for those who have not - if they come into contact with it they are much more likely to become ill.

13 hours ago, Cheshire cat said:

If vaccines are about keeping everyone safe why is the flu vaccine only offered to the over sixties? I'm puzzled.

Anyone can have a flu jab, your local chemist will do it.. It's just free for us old farts as we get more ill from it and clog up the NHS, and cost them more than it does to keep us uninfected.

• Greenie 1

16 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

Point accepted, especially as he has since admitted he hadn't checked his own navigation authority rules!

I'll bet you a pint that you can't navigate from Stretford to Lymm, leaving the boat overnight at Dunham Massey on CRT canals though ...

I agree.  Can I have my pint now please?

14 hours ago, Cheshire cat said:

If vaccines are about keeping everyone safe why is the flu vaccine only offered to the over sixties? I'm puzzled.

cost-benefit analysis.  If it were possible to eliminate flu completely by wholesale vaccination, they would do it.  But flu is a mutating virus so it's only cost effective to offer it free to part of the population.  I'm considerably younger than 60 but I get a free jab every year.

1 hour ago, Arthur Marshall said:

Anyone can have a flu jab, your local chemist will do it.. It's just free for us old farts as we get more ill from it and clog up the NHS, and cost them more than it does to keep us uninfected.

Adding to this...

It isn't offered free to over 60s (at least in England, don't know about elsewhere). I'm over 60 and have been paying for it in Tesco. This winter I will get it free for the first time as I will reach the age of 65 during the flu season even though I will still be 64 at the time I receive the jab. As far as I'm aware I will be able to get it free in Tesco if I didn't want to go to the GP for any reason.

Various medical conditions, including diabetes, also entitle people to get it free. I have been paying for it for many years, it's only about £10 in Tesco pharmacies and probably availab!e for similar amounts at any pharmacy. To me it seems well worth paying that amount to cut down on the risk of catching a disease that would probably make me feel like death warmed up for a week. It also makes it less likely that I will bring it home to my wife who would be at far more risk. She gets the flu jab for medical reasons but it's not a 100% guarantee of protection.

12 minutes ago, Lily Rose said:

Adding to this...

It isn't offered free to over 60s (at least in England, don't know about elsewhere). I'm over 60 and have been paying for it in Tesco. This winter I will get it free for the first time as I will reach the age of 65 during the flu season even though I will still be 64 at the time I receive the jab. As far as I'm aware I will be able to get it free in Tesco if I didn't want to go to the GP for any reason.

Various medical conditions, including diabetes, also entitle people to get it free. I have been paying for it for many years, it's only about £10 in Tesco pharmacies and probably availab!e for similar amounts at any pharmacy. To me it seems well worth paying that amount to cut down on the risk of catching a disease that would probably make me feel like death warmed up for a week. It also makes it less likely that I will bring it home to my wife who would be at far more risk. She gets the flu jab for medical reasons but it's not a 100% guarantee of protection.

Yes the general age is 65 and is listed as such on NHS website.  I don't think there are any variations between England, Scotland, Wales or NI on this. Age is not the only factor in who receives free flu vaccine.

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/vaccinations/who-should-have-flu-vaccine/

Edited by churchward

32 minutes ago, Lily Rose said:

You should still get it free in Tesco, or rather my wife does. They just take your details.

16 hours ago, Cheshire cat said:

I don’t think it is routinely given to over sixties, well at lest I have never been offered one and I am over sixty.  I think it may be over 65’s.  Anyone can just go to Boots etc and pay for one I think.

I have never given it any serious thought, but I bet there will be a lot of people getting one this coming winter.

5 minutes ago, john6767 said:

I don’t think it is routinely given to over sixties, well at lest I have never been offered one and I am over sixty.  I think it may be over 65’s.  Anyone can just go to Boots etc and pay for one I think.

I have never given it any serious thought, but I bet there will be a lot of people getting one this coming winter.

Its been given free to peeps like me with a serious medical condition and I have been getting it every year. The covid thing attacks kidneys as part of the immune system and as mine are already shot to pieces covid could well kill me off..................I will still be first in the pub when or if they ever open though ?

1 hour ago, Lily Rose said:

To me it seems well worth paying that amount to cut down on the risk of catching a disease that would probably make me feel like death warmed up for a week.

..... and has killed an average of 17,000 a year since 2014, (according to PHE).