Can we cruise again?

Featured Posts

3 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

Do you have a link for your comment about UV light?  I've struggled to find anything conclusive.

It’s probable although it’s too early to say ‘proven’. 
https://sites.nationalacademies.org/BasedOnScience/covid-19-does-ultraviolet-light-kill-the-coronavirus/index.htm

10 hours ago, peterboat said:

For me its just pressing a couple of buttons, Jayne says she will spray them first. For me though I think we have more chance of catching it in the supermarket than from boating, after all as soon as we are allowed to go cruising it is bound to rain ?

I will do everythin precisely the same, the virus kills less than one percent of us that catches it and the chances of catching it out ont boat are even more remote. I have vastly more chance of dying from heart failure or sommett else than the bug. So precisely the same at locks for me which is  to put nose of boat on bank and wife hops off and sets lock, I drive in and the out when done and wife closes gates and we set off, nothing different and I will be safe as houses. Just disinfect the wife when she gets back on ?

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 3

37 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

I will do everythin precisely the same, the virus kills less than one percent of us that catches it and the chances of catching it out ont boat are even more remote. I have vastly more chance of dying from heart failure or sommett else than the bug. So precisely the same at locks for me which is  to put nose of boat on bank and wife hops off and sets lock, I drive in and the out when done and wife closes gates and we set off, nothing different and I will be safe as houses. Just disinfect the wife when she gets back on ?

I’ve treated the OH...got her some hand sanitiser! 

I agree tho...hopefully boating from July at latest...that gives me a target to get all the refurb works done by! 

• Greenie 1

41 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Seeing the number of people clambering over bridges and locks of late you might well be at risk when negotiating those structures - sneezing, coughing, spluttering gongoozlers are not good news, especially when they lean over the bridge/locks and splutter all over the steerer. 

2 hours ago, frangar said:

Hopefully by the time we are allowed to play properly staff & vollies will be back to sort that sort of thing. 

Not if we dont have rain it wont! My allotment is suffering and I know rivers are going down rapidly, April was a record dry and May looks to be following suit not good for us at all

23 minutes ago, peterboat said:

Not if we dont have rain it wont! My allotment is suffering and I know rivers are going down rapidly, April was a record dry and May looks to be following suit not good for us at all

Apart from the waterways that have had the reservoirs dropped for inspection/repair after toddbrook the water stocks are ok at the moment according to the latest figures. So Watford just needs the usual sorting. 

View this email in your browser

e222ab91-74a5-45d9-a1b6-569bc8afb08f.png

Coronavirus & boating update, 19 May 2020

Hello Boater!,

Just to let you know that there is a new Boaters' Update online that takes you through the key milestones out on the cut in terms of what activity you can expect to see and what you're able to do.  There are also a few reminders about important factors to consider as we all continue to follow Government guidance and strictly observe social distancing.

In the latest edition you'll find:

Please stay safe and stay alert at all times.

Damian Kemp,
Boating communications manager,
Canal & River Trust

color-facebook-48.png

color-link-48.png

Went to the boat Monday for the first time since mid March. All seemed fine, engine started fine, went for an 80 minute lock-free cruise between Calcutt and Stockton locks. encountered one moving boat coming the other way plus one followed me half way before it moored up.

Mrs Lily Rose is classed as extremely vulnerable and chose to stay at home. With the benefit of hindsight she now regrets it as I had a lovely and safe day. It was the best return journey ever on really quiet roads and the marina (no liveaboard boats apart from the three staff) was as quiet as a mid-week day in January. I next plan to go in late June (rules permitting), just after the boat is due to be blacked, but I daresay things will be much much busier by then.

Edited by Lily Rose

Took the tub out today, couple of miles up the canal, picnic, back home.  Nobody within two yards apart from the wife, safer than going to the shop. All my oil leaks seem cured. Did a few minor bits of maintenance. Wonderful. In my county, there are now about ten new cases reported a day over the whole county. I'm careful but not worrying.

• Greenie 1

11 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

Took the tub out today, couple of miles up the canal, picnic, back home.  Nobody within two yards apart from the wife, safer than going to the shop. All my oil leaks seem cured. Did a few minor bits of maintenance. Wonderful. In my county, there are now about ten new cases reported a day over the whole county. I'm careful but not worrying.

Two older people on our moorings have it so we were told yesterday, fingers crossed for them and the rest of us

I cruised the summit of the South Oxford from Fenny to Marston Doles and back yesterday, sixteen miles total, and I didn't see another moving boat all day. I've never known this, not even in January!

The plus side is the absence of the armada of hire boats coming up the Napton flight, the absence of anyone converging on one from the rear pushing out bow waves and leaving a breaking wash-the bankside wildlife must be loving it.  An ooh! the need not to have your finger hovering over the air horn on those blind bend/ bridge holes

Did manage to get back into the marina before nightfall, but - and don't tell CRT- my piling hooks did touch the Armco,(dipped in disinfectant of course) !

I'd be willing to bet that not even Joe and Rose skinner with their mule and nb Friendship ever accomplished this in their heyday.

1 hour ago, peterboat said:

Two older people on our moorings have it so we were told yesterday, fingers crossed for them and the rest of us

It is unavoidable, at least at present, though vaccine tests are looking hopeful.  Hope it all works out OK for all of you.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Arthur Marshall said:

It is unavoidable, at least at present, though vaccine tests are looking hopeful.  Hope it all works out OK for all of you.

It is Arthur I am worried about them both in their 70s and he has dementia, thanks for the thoughts ?

1 hour ago, Arthur Marshall said:

Actually it is avoidable. There is nothing to suggest the whole population of the UK will get it.

13 minutes ago, peterboat said:

It is Arthur I am worried about them both in their 70s and he has dementia, thanks for the thoughts ?

Also from here I hope that for you and the rest from your moorings it all turns out OK, I seem to recall you said you were one of those with higher risk if you caught it. Any idea how the couple caught it? I wouldn't think they've been out much.

17 minutes ago, Wanderer Vagabond said:

Also from here I hope that for you and the rest from your moorings it all turns out OK, I seem to recall you said you were one of those with higher risk if you caught it. Any idea how the couple caught it? I wouldn't think they've been out much.

No idea lhow they caught it! Luckily they are at the opposite end of  the moorings to me, as with all things it could be a health visitor delivered food anything I suppose? I have taken the risk test on the tinternet and I am more at risk than other 62 year olds but their is nowt I can do about it 

39 minutes ago, peterboat said:

No idea lhow they caught it! Luckily they are at the opposite end of  the moorings to me, as with all things it could be a health visitor delivered food anything I suppose? I have taken the risk test on the tinternet and I am more at risk than other 62 year olds but their is nowt I can do about it 

I still cant believe you didnt go ahead and Anchor somewhere in the middle of nowhere like you promised us, would have made a classic blog thing.

11 minutes ago, matty40s said:

I still cant believe you didnt go ahead and Anchor somewhere in the middle of nowhere like you promised us, would have made a classic blog thing.

Locked locks job done and they moved boats onto moorings.  Big boat is running now but some of the locks are broken and have to be manned happy days when we can cruise again