Can we cruise again?

Featured Posts

4 hours ago, Athy said:

There's quite a stretch of visitor moorings as you come through a bridge heading South. We parked there for several days in summer 2018. On a previous visit a few years earlier, the couple who seemed to be moorings wardens directed us to a space in the private section, as they knew that the regular moorer was away for a while. They were very friendly and helpful.

We did think of seeking a permanent mooring there, as it's a lovely spot, but apparently there is a long waiting list.

Dont bother old sport. Its too twee and overun by walkists and gongoozlers most of the time. Neither pub is anything to write home about either. There are much better spots ont toxford including where you are.

6 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Dont bother old sport. Its too twee and overun by walkists and gongoozlers most of the time. Neither pub is anything to write home about either. There are much better spots ont toxford including where you are.

There use to be a good cafe there

Just now, ditchcrawler said:

There use to be a good cafe there

? Apparently its still there but the superstar who opened it and used to run it has long gone!! I bet he is well chuffed to have retired with all the covid shenanagins going on!

• Haha 1
  • Horror 1

2 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

? Apparently its still there but the superstar who opened it and used to run it has long gone!! I bet he is well chuffed to have retired with all the covid shenanagins going on!

Wasn't it run by a forum member?

I remember former forum member Bones being a keen protagonist of its virtues.

3 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

I wonder if the new owner keeps a massive stock of BWB keys

• Haha 1

On 15/05/2020 at 18:20, Goliath said:

No Fun in Thrupp then. 

I’ve seen 2 boats in the 8 weeks since I moored. 
very quiet 

but always is on the Huddersfield Narrow Canal ?

As lock 1E is listed as closed due to lack of water,it's not surprising.

23 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

No boats passed today again.  I tell a lie one did pass spun it round at winding hole and returned from whence he came. Weird.

I must be weird then!

Went for a cruise from lock1E (closed) on the HNC to lock 9 on the HBC.Couldn't go any further because of the leakage from the bottom gates,it wouldn't fill enough to be able to open the top gates.

Had I wanted to get somewhere I would have resorted to a "Spanish Windlass"but as I was just out for a "jolly"I didn't bother.So turned around and had lunch in the peace and quiet,apart from the sound of rushing water from the very leaky lock gates.

Told others about the leaky lock gates and after sharp intakes of breath,was told that yes I could cruise but mustn't use the locks.

Anyway,I enjoyed my little trip,it was a lovely day,and it was nice to get out on the cut albeit a short one.At least it gave the engine a bit of a blow out and got some water flowing around the hull.

• Greenie 1

Ah, tommorow, first proper cruise for 3 months.

We have had a few "essential boat moves" trying to get pumpouts and gas partaking in some canal between winding holes that are not so overgrown as to cause damage to the boat.

But,....yes, a real boat move, tunnel, staircase and lock flight, permission given from CRT...cant bloody wait.

2 minutes ago, matty40s said:

We have had a few "essential boat moves" trying to get pumpouts and gas partaking in some canal between winding holes that are not so overgrown as to cause damage to the boat.

But,....yes, a real boat move, tunnel, staircase and lock flight, permission given from CRT...cant bloody wait.

I look forward to all the reports on Facebook from the curtain twitchers.  

I think this will fit with this thread rather than creating another, but in the 'new normal' what strategies are people considering for how things are going to be operating? I'm thinking of the likes of locks and swing bridges etc. stuff that we would normally manually handle.

My thoughts for the lock gates would be to get a length of rope, a couple of metres or so, with a bowline loop on the end so that I can just put it over the balance beam to pull the gate open without handling the balance beam itself that someone may have handled, sneezed on or 'gobbed' on:sick:.  The paddles themselves are OK since you only use your own windlass to wind them up anyway, but how about holding the pawl up? For the likes of emptying the elsan, I already use disposable gloves so that wont be any great change. What other things are we going to have to do differently and what strategies are people thinking of?

10 minutes ago, Wanderer Vagabond said:

I think this will fit with this thread rather than creating another, but in the 'new normal' what strategies are people considering for how things are going to be operating? I'm thinking of the likes of locks and swing bridges etc. stuff that we would normally manually handle.

My thoughts for the lock gates would be to get a length of rope, a couple of metres or so, with a bowline loop on the end so that I can just put it over the balance beam to pull the gate open without handling the balance beam itself that someone may have handled, sneezed on or 'gobbed' on:sick:.  The paddles themselves are OK since you only use your own windlass to wind them up anyway, but how about holding the pawl up? For the likes of emptying the elsan, I already use disposable gloves so that wont be any great change. What other things are we going to have to do differently and what strategies are people thinking of?

For me its just pressing a couple of buttons, Jayne says she will spray them first. For me though I think we have more chance of catching it in the supermarket than from boating, after all as soon as we are allowed to go cruising it is bound to rain ?

27 minutes ago, matty40s said:

Looks like its going to be a good day for it ?

Passed you last week (well your boat anyhow). Very surreal-only passed four boats from Yardley Gobion to Crick and even Stoke Bruerne was devoid of even walkers.

2 hours ago, Wanderer Vagabond said:

I'm not going to worry, UV light kills the virus very swiftly, if no-one else is doing the locks then do as normal. If I see another boat coming the other way then mask and gloves for the test of the flight then dispose of.

On 16/05/2020 at 18:48, mrsmelly said:

Is this a wind up ?

Did you run it smelly? just trying to remember if it was your good self i got my victron inverter from as the person i purchased that from had opened it or run it if i recall! 

Very nice people and inverter was a peach (cracking boat too very jealous) 

2 hours ago, frangar said:

I’m just going to use hand gel and/or wash hands...more to the point what about sharing a wide lock???...is that going to be seen as acceptable or not?? Sadly I think some will object. 

Some of us don't like sharing locks even in normal times. Luckily there are not many moving boats on the Nene so its a rare event ;)

2 hours ago, frangar said:

I’m just going to use hand gel and/or wash hands...more to the point what about sharing a wide lock???...is that going to be seen as acceptable or not?? Sadly I think some will object. 

I don't think sharing wide locks should be a problem if each steerer stays on his boat a 2 metre seperation is possible and crew operate one side of the lock each.

• Greenie 2

8 hours ago, matty40s said:

I'm not going to worry, UV light kills the virus very swiftly, if no-one else is doing the locks then do as normal. If I see another boat coming the other way then mask and gloves for the test of the flight then dispose of.

Do you have a link for your comment about UV light?  I've struggled to find anything conclusive.

Probably won't be going down a lock for a while but if I could then blue disposable gloves and keep wiping them with a meths rags for using all mechanisms, lock beams, lift bridge button / chain, swing bridge lock and beam etc. If in a lock and chance of people around then I'd put on a mask and safety specs just in case someone sneezes down into it as you're rising/falling.