Can we cruise again?

Featured Posts

11 hours ago, Richard10002 said:

Shapps told us today that he was busy filling in all of the very dangerous potholes in readiness for something or another, so you will be fine once this thing is over - or will you??

Towards the end of the last Tory government, (1997), a friend of mine said that you could tell how long the Torys had been in power by the state of the roads and the size of the potholes. i laughed but, over recent years, it seems to be a reasonable measure.

Your political agenda is showing again.  Have you forgotten that this thread is in General boating and about if we can cruise again?

14 minutes ago, Joe Bourke said:

Having read through the 698 responses to the question "Can we cruise again?"  I would like to answer.

Yes, a bit, but don't stay out.

Quite but I would just add but not in Wales or Scotland.

• Greenie 1

5 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

Blimey we are soon going to have realy bad roads then as we are thankfully going to have aTory government for a long time. 

What do you mean by "soon"... you are the one who said that we have already got them, hence your cessation of cycling.

We probably are going to have a Tory government for a while..... although there is every chance that Boris could cock it all up for you.

As a matter of interest, I'm not a fan of government in general, although governing needs to be done. As I said somewhere else, the choice between Tory and Labour is a bit like the choice between Syphilis and gonnorhea. You seem to prefer syphilis - I prefer neither.

I hope the mods understand that we are talking about potholes and roads, and not specifically politics :) 

19 hours ago, LadyG said:

Our marina seems to have started up as per normal working, a few boats tootling about, up and down.

I got my special lump hammer delivered, but still can't find a fridge at my price [<£495, and which will fit undercounter. 

Given that you can get a Waeco 50 for only £50 more than your arbitrary limit, why not splash out a little :)

I struggled with the cost before buying one a few years ago..... within a few months I had forgotten the money, and was enjoying the fridge.

5 minutes ago, Richard10002 said:

I hope the mods understand that we are talking about potholes and roads, and not specifically politics :) 

Well you certainly weren't talking about the correct spellings of forms of V.D.

Because politics pervades so many aspects of people's lives, it's hard to avoid references to it (them?) completely. But do keep trying.

5 hours ago, churchward said:

Your political agenda is showing again.  Have you forgotten that this thread is in General boating and about if we can cruise again?

Quite but I would just add but not in Wales or Scotland.

Are you a moderator? If they are concerned about what me and Smelly are talking about, they can take the appropriate action. As it happens, there was a bit of thread drift into cycling and the state of the roads - I don't think it was the end of the world, but you can ask the real arbiters to take a look if it concerns you so.

Personally I think it is hard to keep politics out of the question as it is all about the latest government guidelines, and the way these are interpreted by various organisations. Perhaps the thread ought to be in the politics section, but that is a matter for others, and not for me and you.

Edited by Richard10002
cant spell ought :)

3 minutes ago, Richard10002 said:

Are you a moderator? If they are concerned about what me and Smelly are talking about, they can take the appropriate action. As it happens, there was a bit of thread drift into cycling and the state of the roads - I don't think it was the end of the world, but you can ask the real arbiters to take a look if it concerns you so.

Personally I think it is hard to keep politics out of the question as it is all about the latest government guidelines, and the way these are interpreted by various organisations. Perhaps the thread out to be in the politics section, but that is a matter for others, and not for me and you.

No I am not but it does not take one to see what you are doing and why or do you think you are above the forum rules?  Nor does it exclude me from commenting.

16 minutes ago, churchward said:

No I am not but it does not take one to see what you are doing and why or do you think you are above the forum rules?  Nor does it exclude me from commenting.

I'm having a discussion... it's what these forums are all about, or that's what I thought. In a similar way, you can comment on whatever you like... (In fact, I have done similar with other characters here). I merely asked a question, and I certainly wasn't suggesting you were excluded.

I am not "doing" anything, and definitely do not consider myself above the rules. You will have seen that I actually invited comment from the appropriate place, on the basis that we "may" have been straying a bit.

40 minutes ago, Richard10002 said:

I'm having a discussion... it's what these forums are all about, or that's what I thought. In a similar way, you can comment on whatever you like... (In fact, I have done similar with other characters here). I merely asked a question, and I certainly wasn't suggesting you were excluded.

I am not "doing" anything, and definitely do not consider myself above the rules. You will have seen that I actually invited comment from the appropriate place, on the basis that we "may" have been straying a bit.

....and got it in post 705. You may indeed have strayed a bit, but not enough to deserve six lashes or 28 days being forced to listen to Des O'Connor albums.

10 minutes ago, Goliath said:

These thread are all over the place. 
Which one had drifted into the price of bottled beer?

I like Bass, so am happy at £1 a bottle from Asda. Almost a pint too. 
And if you pour it like a Northern pint with a 1” head then it is a pint. 

Blimey thats a good price :cheers: I am on the Haze cider at present :D

With CRT now saying its ok to cruise as long as you return to your marina same day and no overnight stays, is a marina legally able to stop you cruising at all?  I've no intention to move during this period but its interesting to see the differing approaches of marinas about what you can and can't do with your boat, regardless of official notification.

8 minutes ago, robtheplod said:

With CRT now saying its ok to cruise as long as you return to your marina same day and no overnight stays, is a marina legally able to stop you cruising at all?

Depends on your contract with the marina, but I would be surprised if most of them don't give the marina the right to prevent you entering the site for any or no reason.

Most business wouldn't want to push this too hard for commercial reasons, but I suspect a lot of them have it in the small print.

54 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Blimey thats a good price :cheers: I am on the Haze cider at present :D

I thinks so too. 

B&M have some good prices as well. 

I bought a barrel (pin) awhile back from local brewery. £40, bargain!

Gonna look into ordering a poly pin of Old Rosie. I think they’re £58. Got one a few years ago and I’m sure Westons didn't charge delivery. 

16 minutes ago, Goliath said:

I thinks so too. 

B&M have some good prices as well. 

I bought a barrel (pin) awhile back from local brewery. £40, bargain!

Gonna look into ordering a poly pin of Old Rosie. I think they’re £58. Got one a few years ago and I’m sure Westons didn't charge delivery. 

I used to sell old rosie on draft in my pub...............it platts yer legs after a few pints!! I think its been reduced to sub 7 percent though now?

51 minutes ago, robtheplod said:

With CRT now saying its ok to cruise as long as you return to your marina same day and no overnight stays, is a marina legally able to stop you cruising at all?  I've no intention to move during this period but its interesting to see the differing approaches of marinas about what you can and can't do with your boat, regardless of official notification.

Thrupp Boat Club are not allowing fishing from the towpath where they control the fishing

3 hours ago, Richard10002 said:

What do you mean by "soon"... you are the one who said that we have already got them, hence your cessation of cycling.

We probably are going to have a Tory government for a while..... although there is every chance that Boris could cock it all up for you.

As a matter of interest, I'm not a fan of government in general, although governing needs to be done. As I said somewhere else, the choice between Tory and Labour is a bit like the choice between Syphilis and gonnorhea. You seem to prefer syphilis - I prefer neither.

Given that you can get a Waeco 50 for only £50 more than your arbitrary limit, why not splash out a little :)

I struggled with the cost before buying one a few years ago..... within a few months I had forgotten the money, and was enjoying the fridge.

I am negotiating .....................

I can't ever remember being  excited about buying a fridge, I am not sure what it will look like, I only  know I don't like the curent Coolmatic, it's ugly. and noisy and inefficient

Edited by LadyG

33 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Thrupp Boat Club are not allowing fishing from the towpath where they control the fishing

No Fun in Thrupp then. 
Are they still über officious on mooring?  Mind you, not a lot they can do regards mooring at moment. 

29 minutes ago, matty40s said:

Probably 30 or so boats passed by today, and most returned later. 

One or two moving rather swiftly, perhaps they thought CRT might change their minds. 

I’ve seen 2 boats in the 8 weeks since I moored. 
very quiet 

but always is on the Huddersfield Narrow Canal ?

58 minutes ago, Goliath said:

No Fun in Thrupp then. 
Are they still über officious on mooring?  Mind you, not a lot they can do regards mooring at moment. 

?

As I recall, the visitor moorings at Thrupp are very limited. Much of their towpath moorings are permanent.

As regards fishing, maybe they wish to observe the close season, or more likely to protect their mooring members as there isn't much room to accommodate anglers and 'social distancing'.

1 hour ago, Ex Brummie said:

As I recall, the visitor moorings at Thrupp are very limited. Much of their towpath moorings are permanent.

As regards fishing, maybe they wish to observe the close season, or more likely to protect their mooring members as there isn't much room to accommodate anglers and 'social distancing'.

I think you can get a visitor mooring in Thrupp (if one is available) if you are a member of the AWCC(https://awcc.org.uk/index.php ) which, fortunately, our basin is.

2 hours ago, Ex Brummie said:

My posting was in reply to Marinas not letting boaters in when CRT say you can visit your boat. Both CRT and the Government say you can fish the canals, but Thrupp say you cant on their bit

14 hours ago, Ex Brummie said:

There's quite a stretch of visitor moorings as you come through a bridge heading South. We parked there for several days in summer 2018. On a previous visit a few years earlier, the couple who seemed to be moorings wardens directed us to a space in the private section, as they knew that the regular moorer was away for a while. They were very friendly and helpful.

We did think of seeking a permanent mooring there, as it's a lovely spot, but apparently there is a long waiting list.

I know most here are on CRT waters but I received this from the EA a few days ago. Apologies if it's already been posted.

Dear customer

Following the Government announcement on 10 May about plans to relax some of the restrictions put in place to prevent the spread of Coronavirus (COVID-19), we wanted to let you know how this affects our advice for Environment Agency navigations. Firstly, we are continuing to follow Government advice during this Coronavirus pandemic and our main priority remains protecting the health of our staff, customers and the general public.

The Government have clearly stated that it is far too early to make fundamental changes to the social distancing requirements in relation to the Coronavirus emergency. So at this stage, we want to reiterate that boaters should avoid all non-essential travel on our waterways for the next few weeks and to make journeys only to access essential services and facilities - this will help ensure safety of boaters and staff.

We know boat owners have told us they are keen to get back out on the water in the near future. We are working hard to prepare for boaters to get out on the water as soon as it is safe to do so. Environment Agency teams will prepare for boat travel to resume by undertaking inspections and maintenance to river channels and structures to ensure they are safe.

In light of the Prime Minister's announcement, lifting restrictions on spending time outdoors and allowing car travel to outdoor spaces irrespective of distance from Wednesday, boat owners can visit their boats from today (Wednesday 13 May 2020) to ensure they are well maintained, registered and ready for use once restrictions are lifted.

We will work as fast as we can to get the navigations ready for non-essential leisure cruising. We hope to allow some leisure cruising from June and will provide a further update setting out how and when you will be able to resume further leisure boating over the coming weeks.

We appreciate the boating community are keen to head out on the waterways at this time of year and we understand the huge strain this continues to put on the boating and leisure industry. However we believe that this is still the right thing to do at this time to help ensure safety of our customers and staff.

In line with the Government announcements about slight changes to the lockdown, from Wednesday you may see the resumption of angling and watersports on our waterways. We continue to encourage all waterways users to respect the needs of our residential waterways community and maintain appropriate social distancing, following the guidance of organisations such as British Canoeing and British Rowing where it is available.

Restart planning

We are continuing to work hard to deliver our critical asset management activities in order to keep our waterways safe and to support essential travel. Where possible we are ensuring safe passage to essential facilities that support the welfare of residential boaters (water, pump outs, fuel points etc.). However, in the short term we will still not be able to provide assisted passage at sites that can be self-operated by boaters for essential travel; we will only operate those locks where our staff have to provide this service and this will be done with a safe system of work to ensure social distancing is complied with.

We have been planning over recent weeks for how we can deliver a safe level of service ready for when boaters are able to resume cruising. We will share a clear roadmap of how and when you will be able to resume leisure boating over the coming weeks.

Provided we can do so safely, and in line with Government guidance, we will continue to respond to incidents that pose an immediate risk to users of the waterway, for example asset failure that prevents essential passage or responding to blockages that significantly affect water level management and could therefore present a risk to public or staff safety.

For the time being, mooring exemptions remain in place however these will be reviewed as part of the plan for resumption of leisure cruising.

Boat registration

The recent announcements mean that boaters may well be able to get back out to their boats in the near future. It is therefore essential that boats are registered in line with the requirements of the Environment Agency (Inland Waterways) Order 2010, which means that owners of all boats kept or used on our waterways need to register them and pay the registration charge.

We recognise the wide range of challenges Coronavirus is causing across the country and that some customers are particularly affected by the recent measures to restrict the impact of the virus. We do understand that some customers may now experience difficulty in paying for their registration and so we have put in place several payment options at this exceptional time. Customers who are renewing their registration can get in touch with our Boat Registration team to discuss the payment options we can offer to help. Please call 0330 159 1983 from 10am – 4pm Monday to Friday or email boatreg@environment-agency.gov.uk

For any general navigation enquiries including making a new application customers should call 03708 506506.

Please be aware that due to changing our ways of working to meet Government guidance we are not able to process applications by post at the moment. You will find more information about our current payment methods in annex 1 below.

Boat Safety Scheme

It is our firm intention to re-start Boat Safety Scheme Examinations as soon as it is possible and safe to do so. We are working with stakeholders on a plan that will continue to protect boat owners, examiners and other people such as those working in marinas.

We urge those boat owners who can, to book their Examinations as soon as their circumstances allow. This will help examiners to get organised and we can start getting boats Certificated as soon as it is safely possible.

We are also advising boat owners to keep an eye out on the BSS website and social media feeds for a commencement date and more information about preparing their boats for examination.

The Scheme's Management Committee and participating Navigation Authorities have agreed to further extend the current waiver on BSS Certifications to 31 July 2020.

As BSS examinations have been suspended since late March, there is now a considerable backlog of boats needing to renew their Certifications. In recognition of this, we want to give customers sufficient time to arrange their boat examinations, once restrictions are eased.

Thank you all for your co-operation during these very challenging times for everyone.

You will appreciate our National Customer Contact Centre is very busy at this time, please help us by getting in touch only if it’s essential. If you do need to contact us, we encourage you to email us at enquiries@environment-agency.gov.uk

Alice Mayne

Deputy Director for Navigation and Commercial Development